How many people are considering Linux now as a viable gaming option after LTT's video?

MarbleHornets

How many people are considering Linux now as a viable gaming option after LTT's video?   

112 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a Linux distro for your gaming PC?

• You'll never take Windows away from me!
    • I've already been using Linux...
    • I'm considering it now
    • Mac OSX Gaming Club

Considering it, but SteamPlay doesn't work on any of the games in my library (at least on the test system I chose, which is likely the issue as it has no dGPU).

The big killer at the moment is the seeming impossibility to install Office 365, which is required at my university. I've gotten the installer to start, but it always crashes... If I could get that working, I would use it on my laptop.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

21 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

The big killer at the moment is the seeming impossibility to install Office 365, which is required at my university. I've gotten the installer to start, but it always crashes... If I could get that working, I would use it on my laptop.

Which specific apps do you use? The web app versions of O365 are nearly feature complete compared to the installed versions. The main difference is if you are using one of the apps that doesn't have a web app version (Eg: Publisher).

In such a case, you could dual boot or even just run Windows as a VM for whenever you need to use Office.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I have experimented with Linux already with varying degrees of success. I might try it after support for Windows 7 ends (:(). The only problem I have with it is the fact that if I want small-production or niche software then I either have to get it from a command-line or (more likely) just not be able to use it. I have been wanting to learn command-line basics for a while now (for both Linux and Windows) and so this could present a good opportunity to do so.

There is a reason Windows is so popular despite being somewhat expensive.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

I'm more likely to use a Mac than Linux.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'm more likely to use a Mac than Linux.

After trying to use Linux for 6 years, shelling out for a Mac is the far better option.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

After trying to use Linux for 6 years, shelling out for a Mac is the far better option.

Not for gaming.

Just now, warrenr said:

Not for gaming.

Yes, even for gaming.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Personally for me, the biggest thing is the day 0 experience. When a new WoW raid releases or some other big title drops, I don't want to have to worry about whether it will even launch. Lutris is great, but it's reliant on the community to get games working when what I'd really like is for the developers to do it. 

Looks like there's also some issues with anticheat. case in point, this post regarding Division 2 which dropped a month ago. The company line is 'yeah it's not working, go talk to that vendor we integrated, we don't care.'  

image.png.06ef86fcde876f4d8748dcbdcdd4c760.png

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, jake9000 said:

The game devs basically say 'yeah it's not working, go talk to that vendor we integrated, we don't care.'  

Not all that shocking. It's not like they have unlimited man hours and money to burn on something that probably won't have worthwhile payoff.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Yes, even for gaming.

Classic gaming, maybe, but the graphics chips on the Mac mini and iMac aren't powerful enough for modern games.  You have to get the iMac Pro.

The eGPU route is there, but you're limited to AMD cards since macOS does not support NVidia cards at all.

Even then, you're fighting a limited selection of games, or you're Boot Camp'ing into Windows.  At which point you might as well buy a $1,500 Windows gaming rig, which you can upgrade piecemeal over time -- another thing Macs are incapable of. 

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not all that shocking. It's not like they have unlimited man hours and money to burn on something that probably won't have worthwhile payoff.

In relation to the image I posted, here is the problem: 

EasyAntiCheat requests a file at https://download.eac-cdn.com/api/v1/games/235/client/wine64/download/?uuid={some UUID}. 

On windows, the 'wine64' bit instead says 'win64'. The wine version doesn't exist (404). 

Since EAC is not configured correctly, the game can't launch. Apparently they need unlimited man hours to put a file there lol. If EAC was not a factor the game would probably be fine. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, warrenr said:

but the graphics chips on the Mac mini and iMac aren't powerful enough for modern games.  You have to get the iMac Pro.

eGPU. Still a better investment than trying to set up Linux for the average person.

3 minutes ago, warrenr said:

you're fighting a limited selection of games

Not really a huge issue if your selection mostly cuts out crap.

Just now, jake9000 said:

Apparently they need unlimited man hours to put a file there lol. 

They also need to test that it works only multiple hardware configs, and fix any other major issues that come up as a result.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

honestly i dont see the point in linux for gaming if you already have windows 10, dont get me wrong i like linux as an OS but until its as seemless as windows at playing any modern game, i just dont see a reason to switch.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x  (evga 240 AIO cooling)
PBO Settings:
Boost Override CPU: +200
CO: -17 all core
PPT: 140
TDC:  110
EDC: 150
Scalar: Auto

Mobo: Asrock x570 steel legend wifi ax

GPU: asrock challenger 7800xt 16 gb

Ram: 32 gb @3600 mhz

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Storage: 1tb Samsung 860 ssd, 1tb nvme, 2tb Hitachi HDD, 3tb HDD for media

Display: Samsung 27" CHG70 1440p QLED Monitor

2 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

because people are lazy and will not switch

this must be the Linux user's favourite phrase...

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Currently using MacOS(my Mac is literally a Discord Machine), Windows 10 and ChromeOS for school, also have Ubuntu on my Mac which I don't use because it's broken(IDK why). Windows 10 is still my fave though I'm more familiar with ChromeOS. The newest Windows OS in my house is XP(nostalgia). So I'm not too familiar with Windows because I don't use it that much. If I had to choose between OSX and Linux games, I'd take Linux (types Linus again) over OSX, just because I'm better at using it and it's better suited for my needs. But I will choose Windows gaming until there's more support for Linux.

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

14 minutes ago, Arika S said:

The lazy argument has been around for as long as I can remember

The bit i never get is, user: 'can't use command line don't want to learn'  linux user:'learn command line!' it's easy!' 

I know how to use command line/prompt. everything they keep showing in switch the linux distros for gaming isn't difficult or hard, doesn't mean I'm going to switch. 

disclosure i do run a couple of linux systems, just not for gaming. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

will it my life easier if i switch to Linux? No? why bother. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I use and rely on Windows and their programs for my school work, so switching to Linux for daily use isn't a viable option at the moment.

Sure, there are alternatives to the programs that are available on Windows, Libre office instead of Microsoft office for example, but they don't run as smoothly as I'd like (from my experience) and switching between them can cause some issues from what I've seen; some files won't load properly and whatnot.

Maybe in the future, when there's better implementation.

Spoiler

I've tried to use WINE to get Windows office and iTunes to work on Linux, bur that didn't work

My main rig has dual boot but is almost exclusively on Windows 7 for now. 

The secondary rig is currently running Mint and I've set aside plenty of time this summer to experiment with distros, desktop environments and alternatives for the Windows-only software that I regularly use on the main rig.  Once I've decided on everything I will switch the main rig over.

The laptop has been on Mint for years now.  Never had to look for a driver, never had any issues with it either.

I do plan to keep a Windows 7 install or VM, just in case I ever really need to use Windows for some reason.  But I will not be connecting that one to the internet.  

i really want an alternativ, i am really beginning to hate windows, with auto installing crappy free to play games, invasive auto updating, still poor scaling..

The system it getting worse and worse, for a Pay to use operating system.. so a really functional alternative would be nice.

but driving 4K panels, i really need all my ressources, and you can pump more FPS out of a windows based system.

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

It might be fine if all you do is browse the internet and do not much else, but the moment you try to do anything remotely "advanced", you need the terminal. I hate this. Even if there's plenty of just "copy and paste this and it will work", it's annoying and sometimes you need to really search to find that piece of info.

At least .deb installs for many applications outside the repository are a thing nowadays... but so many app developers just don't bother and assume you want/know how, to compile from source.

So quite frankly, as long as there is still such a heavy reliance on the terminal to do mundane tasks, it will never go mainstream.

But I might consider it if there was a distro where literally everything you could possible need/want for gaming was already built-in, with driver support and what not... and didn't look like it came straight out of 1995.

It strictly depends from what problem you got, and by how far you define advanced, actually

For example, putting bootloader parameters for workarounding issues are not required in a supported setup where you got all the drivers working for example, or will get fixed in the future

Fixing monitors resolution/gamma colors or refresh rate for example, the terminal is not required, and also solving packaging manager issues using the terminal is not required and even adding a PPA could be done via GUI. You commonly see that via CLI because is faster

So that really depends on what you needed that terminal to do, I can think of some cases where you need to use it for the echo-cancelling pulseaudio drivers for microphones for example where you are required to edit a configuration file just because there is no GUI for changing modules (which is a bit stupid and wouldn't take that much to make)

For the most common setups, I have to say it does not require a CLI at all

5 hours ago, jake9000 said:

Personally for me, the biggest thing is the day 0 experience. When a new WoW raid releases or some other big title drops, I don't want to have to worry about whether it will even launch. Lutris is great, but it's reliant on the community to get games working when what I'd really like is for the developers to do it. 

Looks like there's also some issues with anticheat. case in point, this post regarding Division 2 which dropped a month ago. The company line is 'yeah it's not working, go talk to that vendor we integrated, we don't care.'  

image.png.06ef86fcde876f4d8748dcbdcdd4c760.png

The EAC team is already working with Valve for a solution

I have to say, I don't know why, but Paladins which uses EAC is working fine from a few days for some reason

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Yes, even for gaming.

DXVK does not work on MoltenVK so no, you will also have worse driver support at the current moment with wine
And quite frankly, for the hardware to pay is not a good thing suggesting gaming on macos honestly

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

3 hours ago, it_dont_work said:

The lazy argument has been around for as long as I can remember

The bit i never get is, user: 'can't use command line don't want to learn'  linux user:'learn command line!' it's easy!' 

I know how to use command line/prompt. everything they keep showing in switch the linux distros for gaming isn't difficult or hard, doesn't mean I'm going to switch.

Those are just people that expect what they use is better and need to feel superior to others for something that's suitable for them for some reason, which apparently happens with every fanboy, and also because apparently fanboying for an operating system is actually a thing

2 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

will it my life easier if i switch to Linux? No? why bother. 

Depends from what you are going to do, I suppose since this it's a tech forum, people are just not going to do grandma web browsing, but at least playing games is becoming pretty decent if yours are supported

EDIT: Sorry for double posting I was from phone

6 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Considering it, but SteamPlay doesn't work on any of the games in my library (at least on the test system I chose, which is likely the issue as it has no dGPU).

I remember there are some microsoft office webapps though, I remember of that 4 years ago I don't know if that's still the case

it's getting there, it's probably never going to have 100% compatibility, i will probably will use windows for most of the stuff i do since it's standard software in the IT business industry (what i want to to)

i will probably never use it as my main OS on my desktop...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

I doubt Linux will ever become a mainstream desktop OS to be honest. At work I manage hundreds of Linux servers and it's amazing as a server OS. Every now and then I run Ubuntu on my work laptop but there are way to many edge cases where it just doen't work, usually with proprietary software. There is also the driver issue. In Linux the drivers are part of the kernel, which means that you have to wait for a new kernel release before the kernel supports brand new hardware. Even on servers this can be an issue, I've seen HBAs that run at 25MB/s max because the kernel has no driver for it yet. Very irritating when your 35k server is unusable for a couple of weeks after recieving it because the distro that your company uses doens't yet support the kernel that you need.

The privacy angle isn't really a good reason either I think (at least for myself). Most people run Chrome on Linux, so then they are sending metrics to just Google instead of Microsoft + Google. Metrics are a part of tech these days. The data that's send to Microsoft isn't really that sensitive anyway, it's all very granular (see: https://mixer.com/WindowsInsider?vod=81529350). If anyone really cares about this stuff, dump your Android phone, Chrome, Gmail first. At the end of the day Linux is just to much work to run as a desktop OS, especially when you're using hardware that came to market in the past six months.

Mind you, I'm just speaking for myself here. I do this crap for a living but I'm way to lazy to care about it home, no way I'm going to research Linux kernel changelogs to figure out if my new GPU is supported. If you're fine with that, more power to you :)