Need comments on new home NAS plan

Hi!

I'm about to purchase a new home NAS for the next 5 year period. I will mainly store photos, music, documents and films on the device. Usage through Windows 10 and Plex on Samsung TV.

Current NAS since 2015: Asustor 304T & Seagate NAS 3TB x4 in RAID6 (with 6TB of usable storage).

I am very happy with Asustor so far and I'm looking for a new Asustor model, unless a superior model is available from QNAP or Synology. I was looking at Western Digital Gold drives, but their branding was recently discontinued, but the drives themselves were brought back as Ultrastar HC500 series branding. I was also looking at Red Pro -models, but inside the EU market the price for Red Pros are actually higher than the ex-Gold series, which are a step above in quality and reliability. Price per terabyte: 10TB = 35,9 €/TB, 12TB = 35,3 €/TB.

New rig:

- NAS: Asustor AS4004T

- Hard disks: Western Digital Ultrastar HC500 series 10TB or 12TB

- Array: BTRFS in RAID10. BTRFS does not officially support RAID 6 yet and I dont want ext4 for such a large storage system.

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks for reading! ?

https://www.asustor.com/en/product?p_id=57

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/data-center-drives/ultrastar-dc-hc500-series-hdd

7pdm.png

banner_model.png7pdn.png

What would you like suggestions on? You say you are happy with with your current Asustor and you've chosen another one, I don't think there is anything else to say, if it does everything you need and you know you will be happy with it, then go for it! :)

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications