laptop water cooling

Sounds like a good plan, I look forward to your build thread! ?

What kind of radiator will fit in your laptop? Even the thinnest radiator is too thick for a laptop - not to mention that you don't have enough free space even if the available height would suffice. Even a 10 year old laptop has at best like 25mm of height in its bottom case. Without airflow, a small radiator won't do much, so you'll need a fan. There's not a single combination of fan and radiator that's below 30mm.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

5 hours ago, bowrilla said:

What kind of radiator will fit in your laptop? Even the thinnest radiator is too thick for a laptop - not to mention that you don't have enough free space even if the available height would suffice. Even a 10 year old laptop has at best like 25mm of height in its bottom case. Without airflow, a small radiator won't do much, so you'll need a fan. There's not a single combination of fan and radiator that's below 30mm.

fuck this guy use a 50mm and mount it to the back of your screen
try this one

https://modmymods.com/alphacool-nexxxos-xt45-full-copper-50mm-single-radiator-14221.html

3 hours ago, kohh said:

fuck this guy

Excuse me?

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

i was actually thinking about mounting a radiator to the back of my display
the other option would be to build the water cooling part removable so i can atatch the radiator and the pump whenever i want, but also keep the heatpipe cooler in the laptop, if i have limited space

Does anyone know how I can solder an aluminium Tube to a copper sheet?
I tried soldering the tube yesterday, but i wasn' successful

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

The Alu tubing didnt work so I got some copper tubing. 

I soldered it to a sheet of copper plate. 

I didnt have time to test it jet bit I think I should be able to test ist This afternoon

My first test was succcessful!!!!!

I used my hands to push the blocks on the gpu and cpu which might have been a bad idea, but the temps were ok.

I now have to think of a way to install the blocks a little better for real testing

I'll keep you posted.

On 4/16/2019 at 12:03 AM, Devryd said:

Does anyone know how I can solter an aluminium Tube to a copper sheet?
I tried soldering the tube yesterday, but i wasn' successful

Search “brazing on YouTube”

19 hours ago, Devryd said:

My first test was succcessful!!!!!

I used my hands to push the blocks on the gpu and cpu which might have been a bad idea, but the temps were ok.

I now have to think of a way to install the blocks a little better for real testing

I'll keep you posted.

Hurry up with those temps now don’t hold back 

This will take some time I think 

I need a mounting before I can really test it and I dont have time This weekend 

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the long time it took me to follow up on this. I got a used cooler for my laptop, and i can use the mounting hardware from it. I should be able to complete the loop today and i will post the temps today or tomorrow.

i dont know if anyone is still reading this, but today i finished the block and tested it.
air:
gpu throttle at ~90°C
cpu 80°C
water: 
gpu 45°C
cpu 59°C

all temperatures are measured under synthetic load. I used furmark for the GPU stress test and prime95 for the CPU

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-05 at 16.51.40.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-05 at 15.12.27.jpeg

You could always try to use a generic size CPU block on the Laptop CPU/GPU. The main issue would be mounting it properly to the laptop. Best bet would be to remove the board and use it like a makeshift desktop Is there are holes for the CPU/GPU mount and somehow attach the waterbock. example of a more generic waterblock https://www.frozencpu.com/products/21256/ex-blc-1524/Koolance_PLT-UN25F_Cold_Plate_-_25mm_x_25mm_098in_x_098in.html?tl=g30c89s2298 or there are a bunch on ali express. 

I don't want it to be a makeshift desktop. I already have a desktop and it is a lot more powerful. I want a portable watercooled laptop. I just like tinkering with this kind of stuff. And the CPU/GPU block seem to be working pretty good. Now i only need a pump and a radiator for it.
Any suggestions?

7 hours ago, Devryd said:

I don't want it to be a makeshift desktop. I already have a desktop and it is a lot more powerful. I want a portable watercooled laptop. I just like tinkering with this kind of stuff. And the CPU/GPU block seem to be working pretty good. Now i only need a pump and a radiator for it.
Any suggestions?

if you can find a 5 volt pump you could wire that and some fans for the radiator to a usb port for power

That would be really nice, but i can't find any 5V pumps, there are only 12V pumps and there are water cooling pumps with big reservoirs, but i don't want a reservoir. It just needs too much space. I want a small, relativly quiet pump. The fans should be fine over 5V. They won't be fast, but it should be sufficient

ok I now have everything planned, except for one small problem i still have. I plan on using an radioator and pump in an external case, but i would need some way of connecting the laptop to the "external radiator", Do you have any suggestions on how i could do that easily?

Radiator and fan arrived today. Now only the pump is missing. I am comfortable with running the fan @ 9V it is pretty quiet there and has enough airflow i think. When i get the pump, i will show my final build and my temperatures. But it might be a little hard to find a nice way to get everything in a "case". Rad+fan combo is a little bigger than i hoped it would be about 5cm and i need some space above and below the pack, so that the fan can get air and get it also away. Do you think 1 cm above and 1 cm under the pack should be sufficient?

I would try to 'flatten' the copper tubing where it touches the mounting brackets.

Also you must be sure it is actually transferring the heat to the liquid you're using - if it isn't or barely does it then you'll have to re-think your approach.

As for radiator/pump: no ideal what you got for radiator but I'd use something automotive/motorcycle and that is thin that can be used as a 'stand' or with an actual stand and can be cooled by one of those slot fans or similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Cooler-Harley-Davidson-Other-Motorcycles/dp/B00II7WABE?tag=brn0d-20

As for the pump I don't see any other choice but to get something from a AIO watercooler - check eBay for something used…?

Loved the idea and the reasoning for doing it by the way.

I'm quite like that myself - people saying it can't be done combined with love for tinkering are my main reasons to go there and do it! :D 

As a matter of fact I'm gonna research something for a similar project but for my iMac… ?

I got a slim 120mm radiator, because my blocks are copper and i didnt want to mix metals. Car radiators, or motorcycle afaik are mostly made of aluminium, which wouldn't have worked for me. As pump, i ordered a 12V garden fountain pump, don't know how it performs, but I will see. It should arrive tomorrow 

It is done. At least the technical stuff.

I now need a "case" for the rad or something
I got the power for the pump over usb and stepped it up to 12V.

The fan is currently running over the normal fan header, but only at 5V and i cant change it. But it seems to be ok for the moment.

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-15 at 17.22.50.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Devryd said:

t is done

this is pretty dope, i have always wanted to try this on my previous laptop, i am glad this worked out well for you

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

It wasn't really hard. And it is a lot cheaper, than buying normal water cooling parts.
I got the pump for 5€, the copper tube was free, because a friend had some left, the fan was 5€ and the tubing is from a local hardware store and also pretty cheap
the only "expensive part was the rad, and even that was below 30€