Slow Samsung 860 evo

Go to solution Solved by Dioneyesos,
Just now, SuperUserDo said:

The two options I ave right now are to use a standard ahci driver by microsoft and get approximately 10,000 IOPS of extra performance or use the latest ones by intel, lose 10,000 IOPS and potentially gain extra battery life?  Do you think 10,000 IOPS is worth the tradeoff of using a generic driver from 2006?

I would go with which ever feels faster. To me IOPS don't mean a lot. I just want everything to run smooth, stable and as fast as possible. And if that means running a driver from 2006, so be it ?

For battery life, I don't think you will notice the difference, if there is any at all

I can provide device manager screenshots to help you know the driver installed by windows automatically.?

5 minutes ago, SuperUserDo said:

My model number is A515-51G and the link provided above is the driver page for it

AHCI driver

Chipset driver

These are important, let me know if any other things don't work correctly.

Also see if the Video adapter is using the "Microsoft basic video adapter" or something along those lines

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

35 minutes ago, Dioneyesos said:

AHCI driver

Chipset driver

These are important, let me know if any other things don't work correctly.

Also see if the Video adapter is using the "Microsoft basic video adapter" or something along those lines

Any idea? Could it be a power saving thing?

1 minute ago, SuperUserDo said:

Any idea? Could it be a power saving thing?

That could definitely be something to look in to. Also maybe try removing the Rapid Storage driver. might fuck up everything for you right now

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

1 minute ago, Dioneyesos said:

That could definitely be something to look in to. Also maybe try removing the Rapid Storage driver. might fuck up everything for you right now

The ahci driver that was installed by Microsoft was from 2006 don't really know how can that be better

3 minutes ago, SuperUserDo said:

The ahci driver that was installed by Microsoft was from 2006 don't really know how can that be better

It shouldn't be, but if your drive runs faster with the driver from 2006 I would run with the old driver XD

50 minutes ago, Dioneyesos said:

image.png.49fa26bc3da7d52b559bdbdec1e1f0c0.pngBefore removal of IRST

2 minutes ago, SuperUserDo said:

image.png.49fa26bc3da7d52b559bdbdec1e1f0c0.pngBefore removal of IRST

So it's a little slower, now you know that and can reinstall it again XD

2 minutes ago, Dioneyesos said:

So it's a little slower, now you know that and can reinstall it again XD

After removal of IRST and with standard sata ahci driver image.png.ce9c73fc65d4e4044d90cd4155cc5255.png

2 minutes ago, SuperUserDo said:

After removal of IRST and with standard sata ahci driver image.png.ce9c73fc65d4e4044d90cd4155cc5255.png

I think you found the perfect configuration if you ask me 

I think you found the perfect configuration if you ask me 

So you mean removing the Intel drivers and sticking with the ones by Microsoft. Right now I am thinking of trying drivers from Intel's website

8 minutes ago, SuperUserDo said:

So you mean removing the Intel drivers and sticking with the ones by Microsoft. Right now I am thinking of trying drivers from Intel's website

I'm sure just trying will do no harm. If I look at what I'm running at home on my 970 Evo, I don't think or remember ever installing any driver. Just have Samsung Magician running in the back ground, no rapid mode because NVMe SSD's don't support it. Work flawlessly 

And yes I just noticed that I'm not even nearly at the spec it should run at, might take a look tonight if I can figure something out

Screenshot_20190410-125558__01.jpg

Edited by Dioneyesos

13 minutes ago, Dioneyesos said:

I'm sure just trying will do no harm. If I look at what I'm running at home on my 970 Evo, I don't think or remember ever installing any driver. Just have Samsung Magician running in the back ground, no rapid mode because NVMe SSD's don't support it. Work flawlessly 

And yes I just noticed that I'm not even nearly at the spec it should run at, might take a look tonight if I can figure something out

Screenshot_20190410-125558__01.jpg

image.png.2ccef0646f0949a571c01efbd34f1796.pngThis is the latest driver from intel's website dated for february

1 minute ago, SuperUserDo said:

image.png.2ccef0646f0949a571c01efbd34f1796.pngThis is the latest driver from intel's website dated for february

About the same as the previous result before the update

Yea let's just not do that one XD

I mean sequential is going up, but random isn't and I would care more about random then sequential. But that's up to you ofcourse

Edited by Dioneyesos

Yea let's just not do that one XD

The two options I ave right now are to use a standard ahci driver by microsoft and get approximately 10,000 IOPS of extra performance or use the latest ones by intel, lose 10,000 IOPS and potentially gain extra battery life?  Do you think 10,000 IOPS is worth the tradeoff of using a generic driver from 2006?

Just now, SuperUserDo said:

I would go with which ever feels faster. To me IOPS don't mean a lot. I just want everything to run smooth, stable and as fast as possible. And if that means running a driver from 2006, so be it ?

For battery life, I don't think you will notice the difference, if there is any at all

Be aware that 60k IOPS is theoretical max. What you get practically may vary. Be aware that laptops are geared towards power saving, meaning things will never be as fast as on desktop.

You may want to switch power plan to High Performance, though I don't think it'll change things much as some things are in power saving mode by default. Also, IOPS depends on how quickly system itself can process access queries. Which again, on laptops it's always slower. 30k IOPS is still way more than any HDD can ever deliver.

Just now, RejZoR said:

Be aware that 60k IOPS is theoretical max. What you get practically may vary. Be aware that laptops are geared towards power saving, meaning things will never be as fast as on desktop.

You may want to switch power plan to High Performance, though I don't think it'll change things much as some things are in power saving mode by default. Also, IOPS depends on how quickly system itself can process access queries. Which again, on laptops it's always slower. 30k IOPS is still way more than any HDD can ever deliver.

All valid points and true. Personally I don't believe power saving on a 2.5 watt SSD is a thing though. Would be ridiculous. I think @SuperUserDo should go with whatever driver feels best for him, not the one that gives the best performance, if it's the same one, good, if not, no problem if you ask me 

7 minutes ago, Dioneyesos said:

Yeah you are right. Anyways both of these options are wayyy better than the 30K IOPS I was getting earlier and there is a difference that I felt between 30K and 67K. Not so much with 67K and 82K. So I am thinking of going with the IRST driver just for the added stability it might bring. Thanks @Dioneyesos for helping me out. I really do appreciate it. Anymore suggestions from anyone are welcome.

Yeah you are right. Anyways both of these options are wayyy better than the 30K IOPS I was getting earlier and there is a difference that I felt between 30K and 67K. Not so much with 67K and 82K. So I am thinking of going with the IRST driver just for the added stability it might bring. Thanks @Dioneyesos for helping me out. I really do appreciate it. Anymore suggestions from anyone are welcome.

No problem, you're welcome. I like helping out! 

I think the IRST is a good option, not slow, updated (also security) and a good compromise I think

My final CrystalDiskMark Result

image.png.1230e78afea6d0d6b1cb860abe2d278e.png

A lot closer to others just slower in 4k Q32T1. But overall I am pretty satisfied with it and happy?.

21 minutes ago, SuperUserDo said:

My final CrystalDiskMark Result

image.png.1230e78afea6d0d6b1cb860abe2d278e.png

A lot closer to others just slower in 4k Q32T1. But overall I am pretty satisfied with it and happy?.

Any idea why it might be slower though? Just curious.