What if your phone also double as your gaming rig or professional workstation?

My phone = my tablet = my laptop = my gaming rig ~ Thoughts?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Fold-a-Phone or Roll-a-Phone?

• I like folding.
    • Roll me up!
    • Rigid slabs forever!
    • Other (please describe).
    • Anything is fine with me. ^_^
  2. 2. Which method of transforming your phone into a laptop-desktop do you prefer?

• Unfold then attach a keyboard.
    • Sliding it into the keyboard and using it as the trackpad.
    • Powering the "laptop" (screen + battery + keyboard + dGPU) via a USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 cable.
    • Wirelessly mirroring it to a monitor or TV via a lagg-free connection and using peripherals.
    • Tethering or wirelessly syncing it to a pair of AR glasses
    • I like things they way they are.
    • Anything is fine with me. ^_^
  3. 3. Which mix of operating systems and software ecosystems are you most excited about?

• iOS + OS X (codename: "Morpho")
    • Android + Chrome OS/full-function Linux
    • Google Fuchsia (upcoming all-in-one OS?)
    • Windows 10 "Universal" (Continuum OS between Surface devices & PCs)

Whew. Okay. This is a big topic.

The big question: Imagine having one device for all your computing. What would that look like?

This is how I imagine it.

First we have a 6-inch device in a smartphone form factor ~ like the Pixel 3XL:

Spoiler

007a578Zgy1g0ijponcbdj34mo334b2i.jpg

surface-pocket-626x325.jpg

pixel-3-xl-leak-100769405-large.jpg

Unfolding it once transforms it into an 8-9 inch tablet:

Spoiler

android-q-foldable-phones-support.jpg?quality=98&strip=all&strip=all

D0ObSm0UYAEX6Lq.0.jpg

D0LLX5kX4AA1E62.jpg:large

zfoa7qwpmd4kquwelzrl.jpg

AndroidPIT-huawei-mate-x-flat-w782.jpg

mate_x_screen.jpg

007a578Zgy1g0ijq74gdzj34mo334hdz.jpg

aXuNMxDh4SxWH96mxjqNtX-1920-80.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9VL0wvODExMTAxL29yaWdpbmFsL2FuZHJvaWQtZm9sZGFibGVzLWludGVyZmFjZS5naWY=.

galaxy-fold-100788841-large.jpg

Unfold it once more along the top or side and we get ourselves a 11-13 inch touch screen device big enough to be a laptop (after attaching a keyboard):

microsoft-surface-book-960x348.jpg

ACCESSORIES ~ the following peripherals are not only supported by iPhones and iPads, but Mac, Windows, and Android as well (mostly):

Which Bluetooth mice and remote desktop services does my iOS device support?

Spoiler

List of iPad-compatible Bluetooth Mice

• All work with Jump Desktop
  • The Citrix X1 also works with Citrix apps
  • The SwiftPoint mice also works with Team Viewer

Image result for citrix x1 mouse

How can I use a USB mice & keyboard with my iPad?

Spoiler

• Use OS X with your iPad Pro via Luna Display (requires a Mac and allows usage of a keyboard & mouse)
  •  

• DoBox Hub ~ Use USB peripherals with iPhones and iPads via the in-app browser or by accessing a Mac remotely.

The "box" integrates the following:

1. Store-retrieve up to 64GB via Wi-Fi or USB-C
  2. Wireless File Sharing
  3. Screen Mirroring to external displays
  4. 8000mAh external battery
  5. USB-headphone jack-HDMI-Ethernet hub
  6. MicroSD card reader Hotspot
  7. Router Use of USB mice & keyboards.
  8. Device management app

Review: https://www.macworld.com/article/3340831/the-dobox-can-eliminate-cable-clutter-and-share-files-wirelessly-for-255.html

How can I best utilize my iPad Pro's USB-C port?

Spoiler

Connecting Devices via USB-C

Spoiler

ipad-pro-camera.jpg

146241-tablets-feature-what-usb-c-devices-work-with-the-ipad-pro-and-what-wont-image2-ic0az6j3zu.jpg?v1

main-qimg-b61b4c60b0da3dd6944ad1abb21d58a0

146241-tablets-feature-what-usb-c-devices-work-with-the-ipad-pro-and-what-wont-image4-r1skme5xoa.jpg?v1

ipad-ethernet.jpg

iPad-Pro_versatility-monitor_10302018.jpg

Jam-PG-Amp-1030x686.jpg

Apogee-Jam-Plus-iPad-Headphones-IMG_0024_1.jpg

Apogee-Jam-Plus-transparent-1030x826.jpg

Jam-plus-compatibility-animation-works-with-windows-1.jpg

Apogee-Jam-Plus-product-tour-1030x357.jpg

Apogee-Jam-Plus-iPhone-X-and-Headphones.jpg

What other devices can I wirelessly connect to my iOS device? 

What "professional-grade" creativity software ~ or near-equivalents to those available on Windows and Mac OS ~ is there on iOS?

Spoiler

Adobe Creative Cloud (starting 2019):

Luma Fusion: for those longing for Premiere Pro or Final Cut on their iPad Pro

More workflow guides & examples:

Spoiler

Reviews:

Pro-grade DAWs & music production peripherals:

Reviews:

Sketch, paint, draw, ink, sculpt, photoshop, & 3D-modeling!

Spoiler

Art & photoshop:

3D-modeling:

Sculpting:

Guides & Reviews:

Note: Above is by no means a comprehensive list of iOS-supported peripherals, accessories, and creativity software. Android, Mac, and Windows devices support most if not everything else.

Transforming devices not your fancy? Maybe these alternatives will do:

Image result for miraxess backerkit

As I have touched-on in another thread, hardware solutions are only half the equation. What's the other half? Software!

Any owner of an iPad Pro can tell you that the device does not live-up to Apple's claim "desktop class utility" because Apple did include support for desktop-class, professional-grade software nor most productivity enhancing USB-C peripherals even though it has the proper hardware.

Nor is it officially foldable (yet xD):

Same goes for desktop docks for smartphones (like Dex) or pocket-size form factor Windows devices (e.g. GPD Pocket 2 & Mix 2 Yoga). Either the operating system does not support professional-grade versions of the mobile ones (i.e. Adobe Photoshop CC, Final Cut Pro X, Autodesk Suite, Office 2016, etc.) or the OS is up to par ~ like having Windows 10 ~ but the physical form factor is too small to do any real work -- either on it's own to do or on the go.

What else can bridge the gap?

Complete full-feature LINUX ON CHROME OS ~ even gaming!

I have not yet played around with this myself, but it seems Google has yet to work-out kinks like bugs when OS-switching, driver support, and hardware optimization.

Some tutorials, guides, and videos for those interested in installing & running Linux on Chromebooks:

Spoiler
  •  

Installing Linux on Chrome OS:

[Linux Layer] Crouton Guides & Resources:

[Linux Distro] GalliumOS Guides & Resources:

Crostini: Official Support for Linux Apps on Chrome OS:

Miscellaneous Resources:

Just think about it: the phone that sits in my hand day in and day out with all of its ease of use is something I can make my laptop or even desktop just by connecting a keyboard and mouse. And when I do so all of the apps seamlessly scale from their lightweight mobile versions to their full "pro-grade" awesomeness ~ essentially no "OS bottlenecking". xD

Also, If I want run graphic-intensive applications on it I plug-in a keyboard with a co-GPU or external graphics card that ~ when I attach to my foldable ~ boosts or takes over from the integrated GPU when I am gaming, 3D-modeling, building a game, graphic designing, and video editing.

Furthermore I can would also be able to power augmented reality glasses or virtual-reality goggles through my "all-in-one" universal personal computing device just by tethering a Thunderbolt 3/4 USB-C cable between the two devices (or maybe even with a powerful-enough wireless connection with minimal lag).

Finally, if I wanted to add any more than "basic" or "typical" functionality to my universal personal computing device all I would need to do is plug-in or wirelessly connect the appropriate hardware and software.

Let the Do-it-All Device Wars begin,

Josh

P.S. This has been 10 hours of continuous effort in the making so any and all support, ideas, thoughts, and debate is welcome. ;)

Anything that folds is just another point of failure.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Not to mention that it just seems gimmicky at this point. I get why companies do it, but I still hate when they release products that serve simply as tech demos.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

tablets seem unnecessary to me, just give me my phone and desktop

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It seems to me as if people have completely forgotten about the clamshell-phones of afore: back then, manufacturers weren't chasing the thinnest ever phones yet, which meant they could whip in much bigger hinges and yet broken hinges were a very common mode of failure. Alas, the displays didn't have to bend back then, which is another problem: mechanical stress is mechanical stress and it's not something that can be magicked away, therefore it will wear the display out sooner or later. Also, the second half is heavier now than it was back then, mostly because phones are bigger: as people are wont to do, once they get used to the phone, they'll start to do the same kind of a flick of their wrist to open the phone up one-handedly as they did with clamshells and that's going to put a hell of a strain on the hinges.

I fully expect most issues with folding phones to be worn-out displays and broken hinges, and that those two issues will be quite common.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

11 minutes ago, Derrk said:

tablets seem unnecessary to me, just give me my phone and desktop

I do find tablets useful, personally. My desktop is a big, burly machine and not portable and my phone is too small to read any books on comfortably -- a tablet fits right in-between, making for comfortable, portable media-consumption devices. I use my tablet for reading books and comics on, and if I'm traveling, I also use it for watching Netflix and Plex and shit.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

It seems to me as if people have completely forgotten about the clamshell-phones of afore:

Nope.

I think the way phones are today is a huge improvement over sliders and flip phones.

All the mechanical selfie cam phones being released are just a step back.

Even with a full mechanical hinge without a folding screen there already are problems with dirt and dust and water getting in, as well as hinges loosening over time, etc.

Just look at all the hinge problems that laptops have. Too stiff, too loose, loosening over time, wires breaking over time.......

A solid rigid device is simply the most reliable engineering choice.

Minimize variables.

If you need something bigger then buy a bigger phone, or dock the phone at home or work with a full size monitor.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

10 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I do find tablets useful, personally. My desktop is a big, burly machine and not portable and my phone is too small to read any books on comfortably -- a tablet fits right in-between, making for comfortable, portable media-consumption devices. I use my tablet for reading books and comics on, and if I'm traveling, I also use it for watching Netflix and Plex and shit.

to each their own. I totally get the e-reader aspect, but it bothers my eyes after a while. i prefer books on paper

Just now, Derrk said:

to each their own. I totally get the e-reader aspect, but it bothers my eyes after a while. i prefer books on paper

So do I, but alas, eBooks are a lot cheaper. Case in point, I was just looking yesterday that I want three books from Packt Publishing; in eBook-form they'd cost about 80€, as physical books it'd be 117€ -- for me and my wallet, that is a big difference.

Also, I can carry a lot larger selection of books and comics on a tablet than I could in physical form.

Just found this last night:

Samsungs-patent-for-a-phone-with-an-expandable-display.jpg

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-expandable-display-smartphone-patent_id103391

On 4/9/2019 at 9:06 PM, Enderman said:

I think the way phones are today is a huge improvement over sliders and flip phones.

All the mechanical selfie cam phones being released are just a step back.

Even with a full mechanical hinge without a folding screen there already are problems with dirt and dust and water getting in, as well as hinges loosening over time, etc.

Just look at all the hinge problems that laptops have. Too stiff, too loose, loosening over time, wires breaking over time.......

A solid rigid device is simply the most reliable engineering choice.

Minimize variables.

If you need something bigger then buy a bigger phone, or dock the phone at home or work with a full size monitor.

The same could be said of 5-7 inch smartphones back in circa 2000. Back then everyone carried around keypad phones like this:

Related image

They were darn right idiotic easy to use, easy to hold, expendable, supremely durable, had easily 2 days of battery, came with basic games, and weighed as little as little as an eighth of a pound (66g).

Some were shockingly pretty too:

Spoiler

Image result for nokia 5100

7250-Original-Nokia-7250-Mobile-Phone-Old-Cheap-Phone-blue-color-refurbished-free-shipping.jpg

item_XXL_473962_1797279.jpg

phone.jpg

Nokia-7380.jpg

Nokia_7380_%284425307096%29.jpg

original.png?fingerprint=abc9010d6cb4cf1ccdf7a6dab8682787f08fe4af

Image result for nokia 3650

7508139_img20180708wa0009_jpeg6ca3bfccc88e0706a427ae13e895cb78

11_33_48_nokia-7360-warm-ambergr.jpg

Nokia_7360.jpg

8076-Nokia7900CrystalPrismimg4-1.jpg

Then the iPhone with iOS came along in 2007 and turned our phones into the versatile desktop-replacing slabs we know today, but tell that to almost anyone 20 years ago and you would be hard pressed not to get scoffed at.

Sure I care about durability and longevity of something I'm going to buy as my daily driver for the next 2-4 years, but does it need to last forever? No.

Physical parts are designed to work as long as the expected average consumer lifespan of the product as long as the device did not ship with defects or is exposed to conditions it wasn't designed to handle.

The form factor of phones has roughly gone from bricks to hinged clamshells to mini-slabs to sliders then back to slabs and now potentially back to hinges.

What I'm trying to argue is that how a phone (or any other personal computing device) physically operates does not matter as long as it doesn't break within the first days or months of first usage and does the things people want it to do ~ calling, messaging-email, web browsing, using apps, taking pictures, music, gaming, etc.

People adapt. As long as there is market demand and the product they buy works as advertised, they'll use it. Any innovation that emerges in technology and how solid it lasts is only limited by our imagination, how well it is designed, and the quality of manufacturing. That is, as long as software can keep up. ;)

This is somewhat of a crude visualization, but it works:

7jB393N.png

And here's images of the "S-fold" mechanism again:

Spoiler

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9XL0MvODI4MDEyL29yaWdpbmFsL1otRm9sZGFibGUtUGhvbmUuanBn

google_screen_patent_1.jpg

google_screen_patent_4.jpg

google-foldable-pixel-phone-4.jpg?quality=98&strip=all&strip=all

source: https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=US234731558&tab=DRAWINGS&maxRec=1000

If would also be pretty great if the detachable keyboard "base" had these qualities:

• Support for any touchscreen device with USB-C Thunderbolt 3 or USB 4.0
  • Various generic sizes (holds devices up to 8, 11, & 14-inches)
  • Compact & foldable (either in half or in thirds)
  • Weighs less than the LG Gram 17 or Surface Book 2 13.5" (3.3lbs/1.5kg)
  • 48-96Wh battery
  • Adjustable 360o hinged mechanism to hold a wide range of devices at different angles (smartphones, iPads, foldables, Nintendo Switch, Windows/OS X detachables, etc.)
  • Tactile keyboard (as good as LG Grams, Surface Book 2, X1 Carbon, and high-end HP laptops)
  • Decent-sounding integrated speakers (like ones by Bang & Olufsen, Harman Kardon or as good-sounding as in iPad Pros, Macbook Pros, and Matebook Xs)
  • Additional storage: 2 x M.2 SSD slots (up to 4TB)
  • Discreet GPU: up to RX 670/Vega 51/Navi 34, VegaRTX 3060/GTX 2260ti MAX-Q, Iris Pro 1080, or Intel Xe ?70
  • Ports: 1 x headphone jack, 1 x HDMI 2.1, 1 x MicroSD card reader, 2 x USB-C (Thunderbolt 3 or USB 4.0), &  2 x USB 4.0 Type A
Spoiler

Wev6KUk.png

oCxAfWf.png

mBj8dru.png

brydgemini-typing_2000x.progressive.jpg?v=1539070076

brydge_pixel_slate_4.jpg?quality=82&strip=all

iclever1_1-100669219-large.jpg

iclever-ic-bk05-100.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

MNMOjNd.png

In summary, the compact keyboard base imagined would be similar to Brydge keyboards but with stereo speakers, adjustable hinge-grips, universal device support via USB-C, and dedicated graphics.

Ideas? Thoughts?