GPU upgrade fence jump or sit tight

calarahil

Currently I'm using a GTX 980 w/ a i7 4790k. I've had my 980 near when it launched back in 2014. I don't want to spend over 500 at this point. Would a 2060 at this point for me be a worthwhile purchase? I have a Asus gysnc monitor at 1440p to note so it's the performance that is starting to concern me and the vram going forward.

That would be a very weak upgrade, do not recommend. The 2060 is a bit faster but is it fast enough to warrant your hard earned money, I would say no.

2060 is at most 50%. the ram upgrade is minimal. wait 1 more generation for a ~400-500$ class. then it'll be a 2x upgrade

7 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

2060 is at most 50%. the ram upgrade is minimal. wait 1 more generation for a ~400-500$ class. then it'll be a 2x upgrade

8 minutes ago, mortino said:

That would be a very weak upgrade, do not recommend. The 2060 is a bit faster but is it fast enough to warrant your hard earned money, I would say no.

Thanks guys. I just want something new even for my CPU at this point I haven't been able to warrant it. The waiting continues.

I am in the same boat just on the CPU side. I am itching to build a new machine and I am just waiting on the ryzen 3000 line at this point. If they can put out a 16c/32 thread CPU that can hit 4.6+ ghz for the $550 ish.. then it is a no brainer, but the waiting is killing me.

39 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I am in the same boat just on the CPU side. I am itching to build a new machine and I am just waiting on the ryzen 3000 line at this point. If they can put out a 16c/32 thread CPU that can hit 4.6+ ghz for the $550 ish.. then it is a no brainer, but the waiting is killing me.

I'd be happy with a 8c16t 5ghz for 300$. And hopefully with better efficiency (instead of 300W at 5ghz like the 9900k, perhaps 180-220?)

I'm planning on a 500$ CPU upgrade, so that leaves 200$ for a nice Mobo. Hopefully ASUS, MSI, Giga, and ASRock reproduce their Z390 lineup (except Asus, please use doublers, and a 10phase at minimum), a 12+4 phase X570 for 200$ would be sweet, esp. with PCIe 4.0

(sorry OP for derail)

44 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

I'd be happy with a 8c16t 5ghz for 300$. And hopefully with better efficiency (instead of 300W at 5ghz like the 9900k, perhaps 180-220?)

I'm planning on a 500$ CPU upgrade, so that leaves 200$ for a nice Mobo. Hopefully ASUS, MSI, Giga, and ASRock reproduce their Z390 lineup (except Asus, please use doublers, and a 10phase at minimum), a 12+4 phase X570 for 200$ would be sweet, esp. with PCIe 4.0

(sorry OP for derail)

LOL...I remember when the FX 9590 got trolled for being too high of a TDP. Even the 125W FX 8350 was criticized for being power hungry. Now people are happy with 180-220W cpu's...

Very funny to me. Another reason to never become a fanboy or criticize too harshly. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

3 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

I'm staying away from AMD with a 10 foot pole. I don't want to deal with the amd mounting + the pin array. I like intel's setup better just slide in correctly and mount. I have a NH-D15 I don't want to change the mount. 

Also, just reading all the speculation for the next gen intel stuff later this year I don't want to end up in a situation where ddr5 and pci4 comes out and I'm stuck on the older standard. 

1 hour ago, Spudbilly said:

LOL...I remember when the FX 9590 got trolled for being too high of a TDP. Even the 125W FX 8350 was criticized for being power hungry. Now people are happy with 180-220W cpu's...

Very funny to me. Another reason to never become a fanboy or criticize too harshly. 

well the only 180-220W "TDP" CPUs are HEDT like i9-7xxx and TR

9900k is meh stock, but really how OC (basically 2x 7700k)

5 hours ago, calarahil said:

Currently I'm using a GTX 980 w/ a i7 4790k. I've had my 980 near when it launched back in 2014. I don't want to spend over 500 at this point. Would a 2060 at this point for me be a worthwhile purchase? I have a Asus gysnc monitor at 1440p to note so it's the performance that is starting to concern me and the vram going forward.

I have the same set up and am looking to make the jump from 1080p to 3440x1440.  How does the hardware hold up for you at 1440p?

47 minutes ago, Tiswit said:

I have the same set up and am looking to make the jump from 1080p to 3440x1440.  How does the hardware hold up for you at 1440p?

I don't have experience with an ultra wide monitor mine is 2560x1440. However, for just about every game I can play it pretty comfortably not maxing out games but a mix of med and high for most and ultra for some of the older titles. I have done witcher 3 no problem the shadow of mordor games no problem. The only one that I wasn't super thrilled about FPS wise was Assassins Creed Odyssey with 10 MIN 48 AVG AND 89 MAX. Mainly because I have it preset with middle of the road settings in geforce experience.