Nordic keyboards are the bane of my existence

In addition to the letters in the English alphabet, the Nordic countries all have three additional letters. I Norway and Denmark, there's Æ, Ø, and Å, and Sweden and Finland have Ä, Ö and Å. I don't know about Finland, but Sweden, Denmark and Norway all have slightly different keyboard layouts. Norway and Denmark, for instance, have the Æ and Ø on the opposite buttons compared to each other, which is fine, as long as they don't make keyboards with all these layouts mashed together.

Oh, but they do. They didn't use to, but now that's all I can get my hands on. And we use our additional letters a lot here. And mind you, these letters aren't fancy versions of O and A, they're completely different letters, just like the letter C isn't a fancy O. Substituting them with a lookalike letter that's in the English alphabet is just janky.

Look at this shit:

20190409_162152181_iOS.thumb.jpg.79df52c362cc1366031cb2e5f966537a.jpg

Sure, I know which one is Æ, and which one is Ø, but that's no help when I'm having a brain fart and need to check which one is which. And imagine if you're a kid or a grandma who's just learning to type on this shit!

And which button do you think I have to push to get a backslash? I mean, I use backslash often enough that it's annoying when there's a fake one next to the real one, and I use it rarely enough that I never remember which one is which.

And if you're curious, if I press the two dots next to Å, nothing happens immediately, but if I then press O, I get Ö, or A I get Ä. If I press space, I get the two dots by themselves ¨

Whoever though it would be a good idea to mash these layouts together should get fired.

And if whoever is responsible for this is for some reason reading this, well, I'm not gonna condone suicide, but your contributions to society is certainly not of a positive character.

On a related note, switching between the long US Enter and our tall Enter is fun too. Hitting enter whenever you go for an apostrophe isn't counterproductive at all. (Thanks SteelSeries!)

Just get a custom keycap set. Problem solved. At a price, literally. 

Personally, I don't care about those 3 letters, as I don't look at the keyboard when I'm just typing words. As long as the modifiers use the correct legends, I'm good. 

:)

I bought black keys for ÆØÅ on my ducky... no text.. it removes the cramped text.

what i hate more is the shortened left shift, because of the extra keys, but yes the cost savings of making common nordic keycaps are "crap" 

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/review/product/list/id/50/category/9/

or buys some custom etched keys, and a WASD set. 

• 5 months later...

Was just looking around the web to see if someone had solved this problem.. Found this thread, and yes. I really hate these "cost saving measures" of combining the nordic layouts when buying a 200 dollar keyboard.............. (Corsair K95). Been looking online if there are keycaps I can buy to solve this, but no luck so far.... They were able to make true norwegian, swedish and danish keyboards before, should be the least we could expect when buying premium high end keyboards.......

16 minutes ago, Javilen said:

what the fuck have you brought upon this cursed land

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

33 minutes ago, Gegger said:

what the fuck have you brought upon this cursed land

Overwhelming misery.  It has the short backspace.