I was playing GTA 5 and the CPU got hot and started to throttle after around 2 hours of play and the machine was running 60FPS till then. It's running on a HP Pro 3500 motherboard with a stock Intel cooler. This wasn't a problem before, because I was using a I3-3240. Now I have a throttle issue because the Core and threads are doubled. 4 Core and 8 threads generating more heat. That thing heats up fast with GTA 5. GTA 5 is dependant on the CPU, I know that. What is a good cooler for a Microtower HP PC?

The cooler cant be too tall. Clearance is a issue. Picture of Pentium 4 D style case that I am using.

The CPU hit 80 c on hottest core causing throttle.

I am curious about answers on cooling, would a different case be something to consider. I have one with a NF 120mm modded into the front. That alone might help. Package at idle is around 45 c. Would Noctua low profile cooler work. the stock cooler right now ha a NF 8 on it right now. It is becoming audible, when it wasn't before. That I3 3240 is a good HT PC cooler because that didn't heat up that much. The fan hit 1128 when it got hot. Now at idle around 850 RPM. The fan would never break 1000 RPM with the I3-3240. It only has a 77 watt TDP, meaning I7-3770. I3 had a 35 watt TDP.

It's awesome till it throttles.

IMG_0319.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

You need front intake lol - a lot cheaper of a fix

Or does this happen with the side panel off as well?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Stock cooler and lack of any airflow is what is definitely choking you 

Theres plenty of cheap cases with decent airflow you can stick that system into, like the Versa H15. Then for a cooler you can probably just get a Hyper 212 or Arctic eSports to bring the temps down more

Or does that case have any front intake?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Would a Hyper 212 fit in there? Case is just big enough for 1 120 mm in front at bottom.  Noctua NH-L12 or NH9i seem good for space requirements. Wonder about NH-9US 125MM height. 92mm fan. Case width is 7 inches.

7 inches is 177.8 MM minust motherboard, standoffs and inter motherboard deck. 1 1/4"  6 inches from motherboard, probably 5 inches of room to work wit from side panel by the time the CPU and socket are factored in. 5 inch, 127 mm. NH-9US is 125mm. That would probably work, but $60 US plus shipping.

Exhaust fan is 80mm. 1/2 inch to spare from side.

NH-D9L is 110 mm Dual chamber.

Ya, 

No air flow from front unless I switch to this.

IMG_0321.JPG

Where are your shopping / located? Budget? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Well I already have 2 SSDs and a HDD in it. I have the other case I showed with 120mm fan in it. That would take care of air flow. Just need a better CPU cooler. So far, only 2 that I found that may work. I don't know if the 90 mm noctua heatsink will. It is pricey. I have a H60, but can't find Intel bracket. That would fit my other side cover. I reapplied theral past, it didn't have good coverage first time because I ran out. Only half the spreader covered. That would make a hot spot. 

Where are your shopping / located? Budget?

Newegg, doesn't everyone?

Problem is CPU heatsink. Package right now at idle is 48c. That aluminum intl heatsink is not enough. Noctua seems best option for their NH-9DL 110mm height. $56 plus shipping. 4 heat pipes on 2 chambers with 92mm fan in middle.

NH-D9L.PNG

Link

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAADY44C6758&Description=lga 1155 cooler&cm_re=lga_1155_cooler-_-35-608-068-_-Product

Ya, 

Overkill. But it can be used on other PCs.

4 hours ago, Eric Kazer said:

Newegg, doesn't everyone?

Problem is CPU heatsink. Package right now at idle is 48c. That aluminum intl heatsink is not enough. Noctua seems best option for their NH-9DL 110mm height. $56 plus shipping. 4 heat pipes on 2 chambers with 92mm fan in middle.

Ya, 

Overkill. But it can be used on other PCs.

There are forum members from all around the world and Newegg's pricing isn't very competitive outside of North America. 

If you want to measure clearance, measure from the socket to the side panel. 

The NH-D9L isn't a very good performer for the cost. The main benefit is the low height and is overshadowed when there's any more height available. 

I'd recommend the CNPS 8900 is as a cheaper alternative: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jbJwrH/zalman-cpu-cooler-cnps8900quiet

Please use the Edit Button to add more info instead of making multiple posts -- posts merged. 

Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/

1 hour ago, Eric Kazer said:

Would Memory be a issue with cooler CNPS 8900.

My bad, I overlooked how close the ram was. 

The Vortex Plus is a good alternative that should fit your existing NF-A8 if you can bend the metal wire with some pliers. If your side panel has ventilation holes, a downdraft cooler would be pretty appropriate.  https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9Bn2FT/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rrvtps28pkr1

You can see the heatsink clears Vengeance Pro ram here: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Y6kTwP

I side fanned my HP case and and the hottest core on GTA 5 play got to 72c with package at 73c.The only problem is that the front got warm because the air is being pushed through the front. The 120mm Noctua fan is over the CPU cooler. I don't think that that is enough. It did help. Might be too might turbulence. around CPU. The 80mm is still in the back. Not enough exhaust.  Idle is all over the place. 38 to 43ish c. The side cover doesn't have holes over the GPU area causing a hot spot in the front of the case.  a lot of heat when the max package power hit 47.29 running GTA 5. That stock or sub stock intel heatsink cant dissipate the heat.The chip was clocking at 3928 MHz max. Probably while game was running.

IMG_0322.JPG

Oh,

It had minimum of 1596 MHz, Throttling? 

CPU is stressing in CPU-Z. Its at 70c around a minute in. Scoring 1864 constant.Running at 3694 MHz. Spiking to 73c. It didn't pass 73c with side fan case cover on it. Anything would help it at 47.29 watts during testing. That's not much.

Needs the front intake too for the card. It hit 76c on heaven in a short time and throttled to 1632 MHz. 1050TI LP card. MSI with 2 fans.

This is HP case that I modded 120mm into front of case. Nothing in it. No front cover. Might not use drive bays for SSDs and hard drive. Attach to tray. 3 2.5 inch drives. Never mind I forgot card reader. Bay is removable.

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG

40 minutes ago, Eric Kazer said:

The 120mm Noctua fan is over the CPU cooler. I don't think that that is enough. It did help. Might be too might turbulence. around CPU. That stock or sub stock intel heatsink cant dissipate the heat. 

The problem probably isn't turbulence but the lack of a high rpm fan which the stock heatsink should be relying on. 

Please use the Edit button instead of making multiple posts -- posts merged. 

Ya, that does make sense. Fan RPM is lower on Noctua.  FX 8350 of mine vs. I7-3770. 3770 won. The 1050TI is more than likely better than my R290x too. FX is a joke.

Low RPM fan to make quiet needs to be on better heatsink. Not small non copper based aluminum one. Good catch. I figured that fresh air from side panel might help.

IMG_0325.JPG

IMG_0326.JPG

I ran CPU-Z stress test for 15 minutes. 

Package 74c

Core 0    72c

Core1     72c

Core 3    71c 

This was done with the side cover fan installed. 

I ordered a Noctua NH-L9X65 CPU cooler. That is probably best for space. I not sure about cooling.

Anyway the NF 12 on the side cover hit 840 RPM, and the CPU hit 1352 for max fan speed. They were working. The problem is that this config sends the heat to the GPU. I am going to use my case with the 120mm fan mod in the front of it for the card, and may be not the side fan depending on how the CPU fan does in cooling. The card hit 76c when running GTA 5 in this configuration. Front fan should take care of card. Need to remember that the card is a low profile card. I don't think that I can find a heatsink for the card that is better. Card is from my Z220 with LP bracket. Same card. Hole spacing is not not evenly spaced.

IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

The stock CPU cooler is a problem. When I first start the PC it runs at 3923 MHz, as it gets warmer it runs at around 3700 MHz. It has hit 77c. That is with a front 120mm NF12, and a side case fan 120mm NF 12. The front fan in different case did help, also I installed a 95mm fan in the rear. That's a NF-A9x14PWM Hooked up with CPU fan on Y connector. 2 120mm fans are connected with the chassis header on a why connector. Still a quiet system.

I will be installing a NH-L9x65 65mm tall CPU cooler with a NF-A9x14 PWM fan on top of it. Same as exhaust fan. 

Yes I did change over the cast and cut a square hole in the motherboard tray to access the back of the CPU cooler. Bothe side panels can be removed. I don't know if the fan grill on the rear Exhaust is to restrictive. It should be OK.

Also, I wonder if the GPU area needs to be vented on the side cover. That does hit 77c on that LP card. 

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

I wish OEM's would do this. They already make the side panel removable anyway. Problem: the 3 CPU retention screws go through the steel plackplate. They are screwed in to it. The Noctua backplate might not fit correctly or at all. OEM boards suck.

IMG_0331.JPGHP Pro 3500 Series LGA 1155/Socket Desktop Motherboard 696234-001

Did you try the screw a fan on top of a fan trick? Back in the day i did that to overclock my athlon xp 2400+ worked very well,  for how silly it was. . You might have to use some small washers for spacers if the fan hubs rub. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is it, finished. 

NF-P12 on the front and the Case Cover hooked the the chassis fan header.

NF-A9 on the rear exhaust with the NH-L9x65 cooler hooked to the CPU fan header.

Temps are much better. Hell of a lot of modding.

Chassis 31 c idle, CPU 37 c idle. Quiet under load. Not throttling.

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG