Survey claims 86 percent of US teens plan to choose iPhone as next smartphone

5 hours ago, porina said:

Nice. When I was 16, I was still in school. I can't recall but I might have been conscripted into helping out at the family business, but my income was practically zero outside of gifts.

The thing about surveys like this is, you have to consider who they asked. Did they specifically seek out a balanced representation of the whole of the US, or was it just whoever they could get? The infographic does say they surveyed 47 states so they're missing a few for whatever reason. They also say the gender ratio was 54% male, 46% female. Now, if they know the sample isn't unbiased, they could try to calculate it out, but without more detail it is unknown if they even tried. Worst case, they just asked 8000 relatively well off teens and got the claimed result. Not necessarily wrong, but we have to be careful about how to read into it.

Not only that. You need to ask what's the sample size, what's the standard deviation. What distribution they use. What hypothesis testing method? What's the alpha value and what's the percentage error? What's the confidence interval, what's the significance level? What are the z values? Are we assuming equal variance? And all the xyz. 

Until you rigorously dig into their statistical surveying/testing method I won't believe a thing on there. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 4/8/2019 at 4:13 PM, r2724r16 said:

Image result for teenager iphone meme

yeah I've only met a few kids who paid for their iphones themselves.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Teenagers aren't exactly known for thinking for themselves more so than sticking to whatever is popular to fit in.

For those who are not teenagers, a little piece of bitten fruit doesn't really influence unless you like the platform. 

Personally I'll probably go iPhone after this phone mainly because software updates are slow to implement and because I honestly am not utilizing all this expandable storage. 

On 4/9/2019 at 1:40 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

Feels like too small of a sample size to represent the entire massive nation of the US

On 4/9/2019 at 7:58 AM, valdyrgramr said:

Ya was going to say something along those lines.  Are you really shocked the youth conformist society, aka teens, would want something to fit in?

Also, they surveyed 8,600 teens when that's not even close to a quarter of them in the US.  There are 42 million people in the US aged 10-19.  The survey picked 8,600 of them across 47 states.  And, how many of these kids are buying them for the sake of conformity?

On 4/9/2019 at 3:16 PM, nnfancois said:

Thats not a lot to be honest as a survey  but oh well 

From a statistics standpoint, they have a large sample size. You actually only really need 1068 people to get a result accurate to +- 3% with a 95% confidence interval. The big question for the survey is their sampling methodology--i.e. how did they select the students to ask--and if there is any bias in it which would give unrepresentative results.

On 4/9/2019 at 8:32 AM, 79wjd said:

There is still a very significant number of non-NFC terminals where MST would actually make Apple pay a"reliable" option (e.g. you wouldn't have to hunt around the terminal for an NFC badge which may or may not exist and may or may not be accurate).

I think that depends on where you are. In Canada almost everywhere I go accepts Apple Pay, and this is true for most developed countries outside of the US. Even in the US, in NYC, I find the majority of places I visit day to day accept Apple Pay too. Don't really think its worth it for them to implement regressive tech for such a small market tbh. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

16 minutes ago, Blade of Grass said:

I think that depends on where you are. In Canada almost everywhere I go accepts Apple Pay, and this is true for most developed countries outside of the US. Even in the US, in NYC, I find the majority of places I visit day to day accept Apple Pay too. Don't really think its worth it for them to implement regressive tech for such a small market tbh. 

Places like Walgreens, CVS, and major supermarkets accept Apple Pay, but most smaller places (including many NYC grocery stores), takeout places (that have a card terminal to swipe yourself), and stores don't -- at least from my experience working/living in NYC/NJ/Boston or when I was at school in Illinois.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

15 hours ago, Blade of Grass said:

The big question for the survey is their sampling methodology--i.e. how did they select the students to ask--and if there is any bias in it which would give unrepresentative results.

makes more sense then my comment lol