First time cooling – 2080ti FTW3 monster build

Hey all, 

I'm in the midst of building a new PC and was looking to get some help around water cooling through a custom loop. I've typically only cooled through air or an AIO, but wanted to tinker with the idea of running a custom loop for this new build.

This is the video that sold me on water cooling. I love how clean the case looks from the inside and wanted to mirror this exact setup. In terms of his product list in the description, most of the items are unavailable so it seems, but some of the parts that are still around are super expensive. 

If I wanted to run a similar cooling system, would anyone be able to ballpark a rough estimate on how much that might cost? I'm not trying to break the bank since the workstation before cooling is already over $3k+, but I want to do it right, and do it once. 

I really appreciate any guidance you can all provide and thank you in advance! Please find my specs below:

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X ATX

CPU: Intel i9-9900k

Motherboard: MSI MEG Z390 Godlike LGA 1151

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 2TB

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1200

What you can do is look up similar fittings and parts on EKWB's website and pick the equivalent part. 

If you are in the US, you can check out Performance PCS for parts that are not available on Amazon.

Most parts are G1/4 threads so you can mismatch brands (ex. EK fittings with Bitspower pump, Alphacool waterblock).

11 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

What you can do is look up similar fittings and parts on EKWB's website and pick the equivalent part. 

If you are in the US, you can check out Performance PCS for parts that are not available on Amazon.

Most parts are G1/4 threads so you can mismatch brands (ex. EK fittings with Bitspower pump, Alphacool waterblock).

Thanks very much! 

Any idea for a rough estimate on how much it might cost all in? I don't have any of the tools either ?

11 minutes ago, OG_Mega said:

Thanks very much! 

Any idea for a rough estimate on how much it might cost all in? I don't have any of the tools either ?

I'm roughly estimating around $700-$1000. Those two 360 radiators alone cost more than $300. A cheaper waterblock option for the 2080Ti is EK's classic block, so you can save some money there.

52 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I'm roughly estimating around $700-$1000. Those two 360 radiators alone cost more than $300. A cheaper waterblock option for the 2080Ti is EK's classic block, so you can save some money there.

Thanks very much for all your help! 

In terms of the tubing from the video, any idea what that might be? Can't seem to find anything and it wasn't listed. Not sure if it's hard or soft tubing, who the mfr. is, etc. 

8 minutes ago, OG_Mega said:

Thanks very much for all your help! 

In terms of the tubing from the video, any idea what that might be? Can't seem to find anything and it wasn't listed. Not sure if it's hard or soft tubing, who the mfr. is, etc. 

Looks like it's Barrow Chrome Plated Copper Rigid tubing 14mm. I can only find it on Aliexpress, and there are some pre bent options.

3 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Looks like it's Barrow Chrome Plated Copper Rigid tubing 14mm. I can only find it on Aliexpress, and there are some pre bent options.

You're the real MVP, I really appreciate it! I'm guessing it's this here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BARROW-TG-14-Rigid-pipe-Chrome-plated-brass-Tubing-14mm-for-water-cooling-tubing-/263183825482

Considering that shipping from China will take ~4 weeks, it might just be more practical for me to use clear PETG, right? Since that seems to be the case, I just need to make sure that I use 14mm PETG (probably from Bitspower), matched with 14mm fittings?

2 hours ago, OG_Mega said:

t might just be more practical for me to use clear PETG, right? Since that seems to be the case, I just need to make sure that I use 14mm PETG (probably from Bitspower), matched with 14mm fittings?

Yup, you got it. It doesn't have to be specifically Bitspower as long as the inner and outer diameters of the PETG fit the fittings, in this case 14mm OD PETG with 14mm fittings. 

Also, if you buy just the straight PETG tubes you would need some tools: heatgun, pipe cutter, inserts, reamer. You can get a kit like the one linked here (there are cheaper options), or you can get just the a regular pipe cutter from a hardware store, and a step bit instead of a reamer. For the mandrels, it's up to you if you want to buy them or if you just want to wing the bend, or bend it on a round corner of something around the house. 

Check out @JayzTwoCents's video on how to bend PETG.

1 hour ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Yup, you got it. It doesn't have to be specifically Bitspower as long as the inner and outer diameters of the PETG fit the fittings, in this case 14mm OD PETG with 14mm fittings. 

Also, if you buy just the straight PETG tubes you would need some tools: heatgun, pipe cutter, inserts, reamer. You can get a kit like the one linked here (there are cheaper options), or you can get just the a regular pipe cutter from a hardware store, and a step bit instead of a reamer. For the mandrels, it's up to you if you want to buy them or if you just want to wing the bend, or bend it on a round corner of something around the house. 

If you don't mind I have a few more questions. I created a google sheets to show all the parts required, here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V1qrUReVyhYUizjyRA6cExK3oPkUeW7e5lEYCnTkiAg/edit?usp=sharing 

1. In terms of this build, is there any difference between using either of these two options? If so, do you know which fits the rest of the plumbing? 

2. For the main 360mm radiator, the guy used a Leviathan XF 360 but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Do you know if there's another quad g1/4 360mm radiator that might be a strong substitute? Not sure how necessary the quad g1/4 is, but I've attached a still image of the finished case.  

image.png

10 hours ago, OG_Mega said:

1. In terms of this build, is there any difference between using either of these two options? If so, do you know which fits the rest of the plumbing?

Note that compression fittings are for soft tubing. Basing it off of what he listed, what you want for a rotary is this triple rotary extender. You then take the hard tube fitting and place it on the female end.

BUT, if you are going by his video, it doesn't look like he even used a triple rotary. In the video, he is using dual rotary extenders like this one (none in this color on PPCS).

10 hours ago, OG_Mega said:

2. For the main 360mm radiator, the guy used a Leviathan XF 360 but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Do you know if there's another quad g1/4 360mm radiator that might be a strong substitute? Not sure how necessary the quad g1/4 is, but I've attached a still image of the finished case.  

I would personally just get the slim version of the Leviathan (or a second Touchaqua) since I'm not sure if your GPU is longer than the 1080 Hydrocopper that he has on his build. He already said on the case review video that the reservoir is really close to the GPU. But if you still want to get a thicc (lol) radiator, you can use something like this. Note that this radiator is thicker than the Leviathan XF so be wary of the clearance.

In my opinion, a slim radiator would work fine for you since you will already have two 360 radiators. Going this route will also save you the hassle of buying extra plugs to plug the unused ports.

Also, plan out the layout and where everything will go before you buy so that you are sure that you will use all the fittings that you buy.

12 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Note that compression fittings are for soft tubing. Basing it off of what he listed, what you want for a rotary is this triple rotary extender. You then take the hard tube fitting and place it on the female end.

BUT, if you are going by his video, it doesn't look like he even used a triple rotary. In the video, he is using dual rotary extenders like this one (none in this color on PPCS).

I would personally just get the slim version of the Leviathan (or a second Touchaqua) since I'm not sure if your GPU is longer than the 1080 Hydrocopper that he has on his build. He already said on the case review video that the reservoir is really close to the GPU. But if you still want to get a thicc (lol) radiator, you can use something like this. Note that this radiator is thicker than the Leviathan XF so be wary of the clearance.

In my opinion, a slim radiator would work fine for you since you will already have two 360 radiators. Going this route will also save you the hassle of buying extra plugs to plug the unused ports.

Also, plan out the layout and where everything will go before you buy so that you are sure that you will use all the fittings that you buy.

Thank you SO SO MUCH! 

Would this radiator be fine? http://www.performance-pcs.com/bitspower-leviathan-sf-360-4xg1-4-radiator.html

Also, dimensions per each graphics card are: 1080ti ftw3 hydrocopper (11.37 x 1.5 x 6.44 in) vs 2080ti ftw3 hydrocopper (11.45 x 1.5 x 6.24 in) – do you think this is substantial enough to mess with the build? 

I'm going to mock up a diagram on how I think it might be set up and bring it back once I'm completed with it. 

I really do appreciate all your help, you're the best 

1 hour ago, OG_Mega said:

Yup, you should be fine with that radiator. Note that you would still need plugs to close the opposite side ports since this radiator has four of them.

Also, dimensions per each graphics card are: 1080ti ftw3 hydrocopper (11.37 x 1.5 x 6.44 in) vs 2080ti ftw3 hydrocopper (11.45 x 1.5 x 6.24 in) – do you think this is substantial enough to mess with the build? 

The length differences aren't too far off and with a slimer radiator in the front like the one you linked above should give you plenty of space to work with.

I really do appreciate all your help

Glad to help. I like helping out custom watercooling builds since it is always different and gives me more experience outside of just building my own.

6 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Yup, you should be fine with that radiator. Note that you would still need plugs to close the opposite side ports since this radiator has four of them.

The length differences aren't too far off and with a slimer radiator in the front like the one you linked above should give you plenty of space to work with.

Glad to help. I like helping out custom watercooling builds since it is always different and gives me more experience outside of just building my own.

Any recommendations on how to mock up the fittings? This is my first water cooled build so not exactly sure what fittings, etc. go where to be completely honest. 

I built this quick wire frame in powerpoint, but not sure where each fitting would go:  

image.png

PS: If I decided to run a vertical GPU (hydro copper) how significantly would the layout and necessary fittings, etc. change? 

Update: I've purchased all of the computer components except for the liquid cooling fittings, tubing, radiators, reservoir, etc. This is the last step! Now I just need to decide if I want to do black fittings or black sparkle fittings with clear tube. Any suggestions?  :D

@Dissitesuxba11s

Eureka! I've officially purchased everything I need for the build (except for coolant / liquid). I'm assuming just use a high quality clear(?) liquid? 

I'm sure you're super busy, but if you had a minute would you be able to just spot check this spreadsheet for me to make sure I got everything? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V1qrUReVyhYUizjyRA6cExK3oPkUeW7e5lEYCnTkiAg/edit#gid=0 

I updated the triple rotary 90' extenders to what you suggested, so I think everything is identical to what was in the video.

Thanks again! 

18 hours ago, OG_Mega said:

Any recommendations on how to mock up the fittings? This is my first water cooled build so not exactly sure what fittings, etc. go where to be completely honest.

Sorry for the delay, work and personal life. See the image below and notes for my take on how he setup his loop.

Spoiler

351739042_Evolv-ATXHardlineLayout.PNG.164ed819a04f24288da0d49eb3466601.PNG

LEGEND:

1. Triple Rotary
  2. Hard Tube Fitting
  3. Plug
  4. 90 Degree Extender Fitting
  5. 15mm Extender Fitting
  6. Aqua Pipe Fitting

NOTES:

- Please use this as a guide and not as the final layout. I might not be correct on everything.

- The in and out ports at the radiators are oriented like that so that I can show you without overlapping them in the drawing.

- Triple rotaries in the CPU block and the reservoir are drawn sideways to show that they are at full 90 degrees like in the video.

- The triple rotaries going into the top rad and out the from rad are straightened out because I think that the ports of the components don't line up with each other and the rotaries help overcome this offset. You can swap these out with the dual rotaries.

- If you decide to get a 4 port rad for the front, you would need to get plugs to close the unused ports which is why I included two of them on the mock up. If you get a rad with only 2 ports, then you don't need them.

19 hours ago, OG_Mega said:

PS: If I decided to run a vertical GPU (hydro copper) how significantly would the layout and necessary fittings, etc. change? 

Component wise, nothing will change assuming that the Evolv case already comes with the vertical GPU bracket and riser cable. The only thing that I'm a bit concerned about is how the pipes will line up and how straight they will be since the location of the ports will be shifted a bit. It's not that big of an issue, and you can easily check once you have all the components on hand.

11 hours ago, OG_Mega said:

I'm assuming just use a high quality clear(?) liquid?

Yup, something like EK Cryofuel premix. You can also get EK Cryofuel concentrate and make a 9:1 mix with distilled water. There are other brands of coolant, EKWB is just the one that I've had experience with.

11 hours ago, OG_Mega said:

spreadsheet

-I'm think you would be fine with just the triple rotaries. From my layout you don't really need 12 rotary extenders. I might be wrong especially since I don't have a clear line of sight on what is going on with the ports on both rads so I just guessed what he used based on what I can see.

-I just realized that getting prebent tubes will save you the hassle of getting a heat gun and bending kit, which is a great idea.

-What GPU waterblock do you plan to get?

-Other than that, I think you're golden.

2 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

-I just realized that getting prebent tubes will save you the hassle of getting a heat gun and bending kit, which is a great idea.

-What GPU waterblock do you plan to get?

-Other than that, I think you're golden.

SUPER APPRECIATE IT!!! This is exactly what I needed –

To answer your comments / questions: 

• The tubing is copper rigid tube, I believe it's exactly what he used in the video. I had to do some serious digging but got lucky with performance-pcs. 
  • I'm getting the FTW3 Hydrocopper – I really wanted the Heatkiller IV PRO, but it's not compatible with the 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra (spoke to Jakob@watercool.de about it this morning) 
  • I will however be using a Heatkiller IV PRO in Copper Nickle for the CPU block, I'm expecting to get it by EOW next week. 

Another follow up question from me: 

PS: All in all, the cooling components (may have overbought fittings, etc.), came out to a wallet shattering $980 (not including a tube cutter and iFixit kit) – your estimate was pretty spot on! 

image.png

Just now, OG_Mega said:

In terms of cutting the tube to be precise, would this tool get the job done?

Should work just fine. You can even just go to a local hardware store if you don't want to wait for shipping.

1 minute ago, OG_Mega said:

I read about needing to dull the tubing after cutting so it doesn't cut through the fitting o-rings, any suggestions on how to do that? 

Something like this will work. If you have a step bit, that will work too.

3 minutes ago, OG_Mega said:

For the tubing I got, I ordered two packages (two total pieces, 14mm chrome plated copper, 400mm in length) – looking at the pictures, I think this is the right amount but not quite sure. Any thoughts?

I really don't want to bump the cost more but you should definitely add more, maybe two more packages. This is to take into account any mistakes you make and if you cut a piece too short. Just want to play it safe.

6 minutes ago, OG_Mega said:

In terms of the Tank Reservoir, Magic-Cube DDC Mod, Sled Tube, Top Reservoir Adapter, and Pump Cooler – will putting these components together be pretty plug and play, or is there anything special I need to keep in mind?

Yup, looks like it should just connect together.

9 minutes ago, OG_Mega said:

Is this what they're using do you know?

Here is the Hydrocopper installation manual. It will tell you what tools you need. The reason they used the iFixit kit is because iFixit probably sent it to them for promotion. I just use a cheap $10 Chinese screw driver kit with different heads. But if you want to get it, it's a really good kit overall and you'll definitely use it more than just for computer disassembly. Plus it's has a lifetime warranty.

Just want you to note something: when you disassemble the cooler, make sure not to break the thermal pads; these will be reused.

21 minutes ago, OG_Mega said:

PS: All in all, the cooling components (may have overbought fittings, etc.), came out to a wallet shattering $980 (not including a tube cutter and iFixit kit) – your estimate was pretty spot on

Ouch, at least this thing will be beautiful when you get it assembled!

I don't want to keep stabbing into your wallet but do you have enough fans?

34 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Should work just fine. You can even just go to a local hardware store if you don't want to wait for shipping.

Something like this will work. If you have a step bit, that will work too.

I really don't want to bump the cost more but you should definitely add more, maybe two more packages. This is to take into account any mistakes you make and if you cut a piece too short. Just want to play it safe.

Yup, looks like it should just connect together.

Here is the Hydrocopper installation manual. It will tell you what tools you need. The reason they used the iFixit kit is because iFixit probably sent it to them for promotion. I just use a cheap $10 Chinese screw driver kit with different heads. But if you want to get it, it's a really good kit overall and you'll definitely use it more than just for computer disassembly. Plus it's has a lifetime warranty.

Just want you to note something: when you disassemble the cooler, make sure not to break the thermal pads; these will be reused.

Ouch, at least this thing will be beautiful when you get it assembled!

I don't want to keep stabbing into your wallet but do you have enough fans?

All sounds good ! 

In terms of fans, I want to grab new ones. On my current system they're being used and I'm planning on selling the entire unit as one piece (or parting it out, not sure yet: 5820k, Zotac AMP! 980ti, Kraken x62, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16gb - if you have any suggestions how to best sell this gear I'm all ears). Also want to grab some RGB memory sticks, but haven't had the time to find a good set <32mb that would run well with the build (that won't break the bank TOO bad). 

To be honest, I'm only going balls deep on this build because since I was younger it's been a dream to build a custom loop, and this time around I said fuck it, why not ... It's sitting at almost $5k right now though, and adding fans and ram will definitely push it to that point.

If you have suggestions on some high quality fans / RGB ram though that would be super helpful! I know that Stuart (guy in video) was using a 64GB set that cost $1k, but I'm definitely not trying to spend that on just ram lol 

PS: Thanks for the heads up on the tubing, ordered 2 more pieces just incase! 

On 4/10/2019 at 2:49 PM, OG_Mega said:

if you have any suggestions how to best sell this gear I'm all ears

You can try to sell it locally through Craigslist or Ebay. You can also post it on r/hardwareswap or here in the Classifieds forum (note 100 post count min).

To be honest, I'm only going balls deep on this build because since I was younger it's been a dream to build a custom loop, and this time around I said fuck it, why not ...

Oh I am the same, just not that high of a budget. Maybe. We'll see.

high quality fans

EK Vardar fans or Noctua NF-F12 are the two that I usually see recommended. I have Corsair SP120 fans for my radiator since they were given to me. I'm not really versed in fans as much as some other users here. You're probably better off making a separate post about it to get a better answer. And if you want to sell your parts here, making another topic will give you more posts :P

RGB ram

Luckily for you RAM is at it's lowest price to date. I have 16GB of G.Skill Trident Z RGB and they are beautiful so I recommend them. How much RAM do you want? Was 16GB more than enough for you before?

57 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

You can try to sell it locally through Craigslist or Ebay. You can also post it on r/hardwareswap or here in the Classifieds forum (note 100 post count min).

Oh I am the same, just not that high of a budget. Maybe. We'll see.

EK Vardar fans or Noctua NF-F12 are the two that I usually see recommended. I have Corsair SP120 fans for my radiator since they were given to me. I'm not really versed in fans as much as some other users here. You're probably better off making a separate post about it to get a better answer. And if you want to sell your parts here, making another topic will give you more posts :P

Luckily for you RAM is at it's lowest price to date. I have 16GB of G.Skill Trident Z RGB and they are beautifil so I recommend them. How much RAM do you want? Was 16GB more than enough for you before?

Not going to lie, I only game – this machine is COMPLETE overkill for what I'll be doing, but it's just bragging rights and will probably last me 5+ years or more. Either that or I'll just part it out and redo it again in 3 years if / when I'm bored. Although, considering how powerful it is, maybe this gives me an excuse to get into VR. /shrug

To your question though – honestly, 16gb was probably good enough. I maybe could have seen some improvement moving up to 32gb, but the issues I were seeing weren't life altering. At a minimum I'd like to move up to 32gb. 

I've been trying to read up on what is the best ram suitable for the 9900k, but there seems to be a lot of different thoughts around it. Some people saying get the best (DDR4 4000+ at CL17), others saying get DDR4 3200 at CL16, etc. etc. 

Any suggestions on what you'd put in this monster? 

EDIT: Forgot to mention, how many fans would I need? I'm assuming 3 on the top rad, 3 on the front rad (6 total) – am I missing any? 

10 minutes ago, OG_Mega said:

Any suggestions on what you'd put in this monster?

For just gaming, just go for 3200MHz CL4, something like this kit. That kit is the CL14 ones, but you can also opt for the CL16 ones to save money.

14 minutes ago, OG_Mega said:

how many fans would I need? I'm assuming 3 on the top rad, 3 on the front rad (6 total)

You should be good with just those. You can put a fan on the rear near the I/O but it might make it hard to install that one tube.

18 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

For just gaming, just go for 3200MHz CL4, something like this kit. That kit is the CL14 ones, but you can also opt for the CL16 ones to save money.

You should be good with just those. You can put a fan on the rear near the I/O but it might make it hard to install that one tube.

TY! 

I feel like I keep saying I won't have more questions... But I keep having more questions........ (At least it bumps my post count right? ?

I'm of course going to binge watch custom loop videos before I begin this process so I don't royally fuck things up, but when cutting the tubes, is there a rule of thumb around what size they should be? I.e., how far over / under the fittings should they be, etc? 

Edit: May wind up getting some Corsair LL 120's .. they're fresh and apparently perform pretty well. I'd throw some noctua's in there but I don't think I need much more performance? Unless I'm missing something. I did set up a post though asking for feedback because I definitely need help figuring out the airflow layout.

Edit #2: I want to make sure, but do you think I should have enough connections on my motherboard for all the fans and other components? I would hope and assume so since the MOBO alone is $600...

Just now, OG_Mega said:

I feel like I keep saying I won't have more questions... But I keep having more questions...

Ask away. Better to ask than to mess something up because you didn't.

1 minute ago, OG_Mega said:

is there a rule of thumb around what size they should be? I.e., how far over / under the fittings should they be, etc? 

What I've done is install all the fittings where I want them to be, measure the distance that I need giving some slack in case I measure wrong, then cut the piece that I need. Just make sure to take into account the fact that the hardline tube needs to go in the fittings when making your measurement.

5 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Ask away. Better to ask than to mess something up because you didn't.

What I've done is install all the fittings where I want them to be, measure the distance that I need giving some slack in case I measure wrong, then cut the piece that I need. Just make sure to take into account the fact that the hardline tube needs to go in the fittings when making your measurement.

Basically something like this? image.png.f9106631715afd28b1174359dbf6f4f9.png