Is Microsoft… the Good Guy? - Xbox Adaptive Controller

James

Microsoft is the good guy if this is being made/sold at a loss, but where there's profit, there's a grey area.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

but where there's profit, there's a grey area.

It's not a charity... 

I think it's great Microsoft is coming out with these adaptive controllers.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

11 minutes ago, Velcade said:

It's not a charity... 

I think it's great Microsoft is coming out with these adaptive controllers.

It's not an inherently bad thing to sell for profit, but I'm not eager to give brownie points to a huge corporation either. Not that I don't hope this'll be helpful to disabled gamers.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

22 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Microsoft is the good guy if this is being made/sold at a loss, but where there's profit, there's a grey area.

I would much rather Microsoft profits from things like this; It means they will have incentive to continue producing and developing them.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

I would much rather Microsoft profits from things like this; It means they will have incentive to continue producing and developing them.

Even YouTube operates at a loss, it's not impossible to make something and have benefits other than money as incentive.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Overbuilder said:

@fasauceome Youtube makes money from ad revenue.

It would not exist if it did not make some form of profit. 

it costs more to run than they make, this is pretty well known

Primary PC:

56 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Debatable.

good guy? not too sure after 3.5hrs on a Microsoft chat to try to get a pen tip replaced...

:( 

$65 for one button??

2 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Even YouTube operates at a loss

Not anymore.

Microsoft is not fundamentally the good or bad guy.

On one hand they need to make money since they are a for-profit organization. On the other hand bringing inclusivity and accessibility to the gaming community is a good gesture.

In the end we got this: a product that few people will use but everyone will praise it for its existence.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

12 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Not anymore.

When did their profit margins improve enough?

Primary PC:

15 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

When did their profit margins improve enough?

sometime after 2015. From my researched they started out losing a lot of money, but in the past few years have really been raking in money, though, they have been much less transparent with their revenue numbers. recently so its hard to say for sure. Most analysts seem to be fairly certain youtube is turning a profit though and from my own speculation, I'd imagine a a big reason is super chats from live streams and some from youtube premium.

Another thing to think of, I'm sure that plugging in the adaptive controller into a PC you can use it as an alternative to a mouse - or at least you can with a fairly simple workaround if somehow Microsoft didn't think of that. That means it can help people use computers and the internet in general.

That pedal has an even less price to function ratio than the controller.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Notice, About the X1 and X2

These are programmable

To program these (from my Xbox one controller)

-Get up Xbox Accessories

-Press the 3 dots button

-It'd probably be around here where you'll find your X1 and X2 (its different for each controller im sure)

You can make these do nothing when pressed, Take a screenshot, or pause media with quite a few more there as well

✨FNIGE✨

Hi guys,

I don't post too often on the forums but just wanted to say really great job with the video, in particular the title. Really useful having a specific reference to the product being reviewed after the video title to make it easier to find if I ever want to re watch it later - something I noticed was missing in some recent videos.

Again, keep up the great work.

"That's no such thing as normal with the human body".

Damn, that must make studying for a medical degree really hard.

7 hours ago, poochyena said:

sometime after 2015. From my researched they started out losing a lot of money, but in the past few years have really been raking in money, though, they have been much less transparent with their revenue numbers. recently so its hard to say for sure. Most analysts seem to be fairly certain youtube is turning a profit though and from my own speculation, I'd imagine a a big reason is super chats from live streams and some from youtube premium.

It's thought they're breaking even, but even that is questionable. YT's revenue likely still couldn't afford their infrastructure if they weren't a part of Google. The big change was the move to Mobile viewing. Higher playthrough rate on Ads and lower bandwidth costs relative to views.

Why do I have a deja-vu??
I think I watched something similar a while ago, also with Linus and this thing...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

8 hours ago, SkyHound0202 said:

Microsoft is not fundamentally the good or bad guy.

Compared to the Alternatives, M$ is one of the better guys.

And that's a pretty bad statement...

Though in the Console Market I really don't like them for what they did with the Xboner... (in short: Totally wrong direction, no innovation for the controller and all the DRM and Kinect shit)

And I'm coming from the XBox 360...

Most of my Gamerscore (~13k) was gotten with the 360 back in the day.

But I also used their mobile OS and Windows mobile Version 8 is pretty good. They were on a good way. Sadly I haven't had the oppurtunity to look at Windows mobile 10...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

You are bad guy

But not bad guy

✨FNIGE✨

image.png.e18cb2dab97f98cc86a6854ad9475ad4.png

(repost from youtube and then some)

OMFG.... is this available now? Linus I was in a car accident when I was 19 wayyy back in 1987. As a result, I lost my left arm. I know this may sound silly but one of my biggest frustrations in life is not having the dexterity to play most video games with my sons. I always wondered if it was possible to replace the left side of a controller with a foot pedal. This is the closest thing I have seen that looks like it may finally be possible to do it. I have no idea how much this thing cost but whatever it is I more than likely cannot afford it seeing that I am on a fixed income now. Just knowing that this thing exists almost made me cry. Hopefully the prices will come down soon so I can play. Thank you to you and Microsoft for the hope that someday I may be able to play with my sons. Just the thought made my day.

and the some:

Ookay I cannot stop thinking about this and I want to tell you more about who I am. I wrote my first computer program in 1984 on a computer created by a toy company. The Coleco Adam image.png.70b4e10d337c4e7053b88069ae547037.png(Google it lol), the programming language was GW-Basic! I made a deal with my Dad that if I paid half the cost of it he would pay the other half. My first "on-line" experience came when my Dad allowed me to have one of his canceled checks and I used the routing number at the bottom to sign up for access to CompuServe (the next month billing cycle he was not happy LOL). I have been a techno geek ever since. I have been ripping apart and building PCs since the 90s but am now permanently disabled and I do not work which has made me put this expensive hobby of ours on the back burner because I just cannot afford it any longer.

When I saw this on your YouTube channel Linus my jaw hit the ground. I will not reiterate what I explained in the top half of this post but I want to show you a few pictures. The first one is the remnants of my attempts to modify a PS3 controller (sorry Microsoft) to my needs. I actually did manage to get a foot pedal usually used by a musician for switching modes on a guitar to work. Trying to solder tiny wires and components together was not easy only aggravated by the fact that I was doing it with my one hand, the only one I have. But that was only half the challenge, I also had to take the controller apart and had the most difficult task of putting it back together again (which somehow I managed to do). Unfortunately it did not last long. The wire I used was not of very high quality and it got pinched between the top and bottom of the controller case and eventually broke off.

The other three pictures are of what is left of my "graveyard". I recently pulled a lot of it out after not touching any of it for a few years in the hopes that I could build a Frankenstein machine from the parts so I could give it to my youngest son. (but none of worked). I tell you this last part because after becoming very depressed and disillusioned because at the age of 51 and no longer able to work, I had no idea what to do with myself. Then I just happened to stumble upon one of your videos on YouTube. I think I spent the next fourteen hours watching many others. Then I got inspired. That is when I started to build ...think scrappy wars... using what parts I had. I spent the last several weeks totally consumed with building my monster. Even though my efforts have ended failure, I cannot thank you enough for giving me the idea of even trying. Then this latest  shows up in my youtube thread and I just had to let you know my story and let ypu know that you have gained yet another loyal fan and to thank you and MS.

Best Regards,

Scott Tavares

20190409_024210.jpg

20190409_024222.jpg

20190409_024516.jpg

20190409_024506.jpg