*New* Edge (Chromium based) Preview is here! - Get it now!

GoodBytes

Several months ago, Microsoft has decided to scrap the Edge web browser. They concluded that they cannot catchup to all the web standards (and keep up with everything new that comes in) in addition, they have difficulty making a feature rich web browser at the same time, let alone perform optimizations. As a result, the software giant decided to scrap Edge completely and restart from scratch, this time using Chromium open source project (this is what Chrome uses) and contribute to it. Already work has been done for Chromium to feature a ARM64 version which is coming along, as well as smoother page scrolling, among other things.

Unlike the current Edge, it is no longer locked in to Windows 10. It is completely independent, and Microsoft is working on a version for Linux based OSs, as well as OSX, and even Windows 7 and 8.x support, just like Chrome.

hero.5bd0ab96.thumb.png.9917de34df53f70b9eb62b313fc523dd.png

In other words, this new Edge, is Chrome, but instead of having Google service integration, it integrates Microsoft own instead. In addition, it adds its own touches. For example, it uses a cleaner (in my opinion) setting panel and adds the codec and DRM needed for 4K Netflix video streaming support. It is expected that Microsoft will include other Edge specific features to this new Edge or the Chromium project over time.

And yes, it does supports Chrome extensions as well as the current Edge extensions! Just go on Chrome extension page, and from there, you can download and install as you normally do in Chrome, any extension you see (beside themes based ones).

Microsoft has focused on the fundamentals of browsing, reliability, and extension support for this early version of Edge built on Chromium, and the company is looking for feedback about the basics to start. Encouragingly, this new Edge browser runs surprisingly well, with full support for existing Chrome extensions. Microsoft is even building in sync support for things like favorites, browsing history, and extensions to sync across Edge. Favorites is only supported in this early version today, but sync support will be gradually improved before this new version of Edge is more broadly available in a beta version.

Both Microsoft and Google engineers have been working together to improve the underlying Chromium project so that Chrome and Edge run better on Windows. Microsoft has had around 150 commits accepted into Chromium, paving the way for improvements to Edge and Chromium on Windows 10. That includes improving accessibility, smooth scrolling support, Windows Hello integration, and things like ensuring the touch keyboard shows up reliably.

This new version of Edge is not out yet, not officially. It is under the Insider program (Beta), which you can join and enjoy right now, even if you are not part of the Windows Insider program. It is completely apart.

As we speak, the Edge Preview is only availible in Windows 10, users and you can download/join here:

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/?form=MD18G6&OCID=MD18G6

Microsoft annonces the following features that is coming:

• Dark mode (although you can enable it manually under edge://flags/ currently)
  • Accessibility Improvements
  • Chekcer of Grammar
  • Smooth Scrolling
  • Reading View
  • Built-in Page Translation

They are 3 channels you can play with (2 for now, third coming later):

598270137_Annotation2019-04-08152525.png.b7ce1e9976504d9d9e9c47c1e297115b.png

Beta Channel - Updated every 6 week: This is the most stable beta version of the new Edge web browser.

Dev Channel - Updated every week: This version is less stable, but features a more solid experience with more complete features, fixes and changes to the web browser

Canary Channel - Least stable. Updated once a day, you basically get versions as they are being worked on. So you may face an issues with the web browser that comes and goes. Use at your own risk.

You can pick your prefered channel here:

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/8/18300077/microsoft-edge-chromium-canary-development-release-download

Source 2: Mail Box

Note: If you previously installed the leaked version of the new Edge web browser, you may need to uninstall it before installing the official Public insider/beta version of Edge.

I'm not even gonna lie, I'm gonna miss old Edge.

I always loved how it actually used your hardware to a good extent, especially compared to fucking Chrome. Hell, I could play 720p60 video just fine through YouTube on Edge on my mom's old laptop compared to not even being able to do 480p properly on Chrome.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Someone give me some performance numbers, I wonder if chromium edge supports installing extensions not from the chrome store.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Chromium cancer is spreading... Thank god for firefox

On a more serious note, there should be an invistigation done by FTC into practices with browsers, chrome stays the "fastest" kinda in a shady way

2 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Someone give me some performance numbers, I wonder if chromium edge supports installing extensions not from the chrome store.

What numbers would you like? And yes it works. :)

10 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

I'm not even gonna lie, I'm gonna miss old Edge.

I always loved how it actually used your hardware to a good extent, especially compared to fucking Chrome. Hell, I could play 720p60 video just fine through YouTube on Edge on my mom's old laptop compared to not even being able to do 480p properly on Chrome.

This. Chrome has by far the worst HW acceleration. For me it was 1080p60 on a prehistoric AMD E-450 laptop. Unplayable even at 480p in Chrome as it was still clearly dropping frames, stuttering and being all sluggish. Same goes for Netflix. Edge can play it at 4K or minimum 1080p. All other browsers, 720p that almost feels like 576p... What a progress...

4 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Same 4 tabs open in each 

Chrome 1065.5MB

Edge (new) - 617 MB

Seems to use a little less RAM.

Brave Browser: 7 Tabs = 770mb 

I think I will stick to it after testing the chromium Edge ? 

unknown.png 

its missing the feature to set aside entire sets of tabs like you could in Edge. that is the one thing i wanted from Edge Chromium that would make me switch instantly. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

unknown.png 

its missing the feature to set aside entire sets of tabs like you could in Edge. that is the one thing i wanted from Edge Chromium that would make me switch instantly. 

You can suggest that to make sure it gets put into the final version.  I agree it's useful.

2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

You can suggest that to make sure it gets put into the final version.  I agree it's useful.

yeah i wrote it in the feedback. its one of the things that really set Edge appart from the others. loosing it would make it a chrome clone, something i do not hope it becomes

My biggest gripe with Edge was its stupid right click behavior.  The lag between clicking and getting a menu was irksome and it was only present in Edge.  I don't know if it was because of its stupid cosmetic changes, but it kept me from ever taking the browser seriously.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Would have preferred they went with a FF based browser. Still better than doing their own thing though 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Spoiler

Chrome takes less ram. 

Even though this is a test best build but dang the amount of ram Chromium edge takes with 6 tabs open is off-putting to low resource users.

Also, Chrome cast to other devices isn't working at the moment.

Annotation 2019-04-08 105900.png

I don't even care that it's missing features from old Edge, expecially considering that it ran like I disabled 6 cores on my PC.

This new Edge is Certified FantasticTM It's just as fast as Chrome, slightly lighter than Chrome, and I love the look!

As an intersting aside, here's all the Google junk that Microsoft stripped or rewrote for Edge

D3pVBnfUwAwJ3qs.jpg.097d348067cd47c014e0a06ac4175819.jpg

courtesy of @h0x0d / Twitter

Once this comes bundled with Windows 10, Chrome will be one less thing you have to install! 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

4 minutes ago, Johners said:

I've installed the beta build on my desktop and laptop are I'm liking this so far. It provides the quality of Chromium without having to solely rely on Google and this is a massive improve of regular Edge (because EdgeHTML is pretty shit). The one issue I'm having is the inability to watch HDR videos on YouTube on my laptop. If I use regular Edge, HDR videos will playback but on both regular Chrome and Edge Insider, it doesn't appear to play back in HDR. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

This is probably something they have to work on, you know how on Windows 10, the only way to watch 4K netflix is in old Edge? I think it's related to that.

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:
  • Grammar chekcer

I see what you did there.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

52 minutes ago, Kherm said:

This is probably something they have to work on, you know how on Windows 10, the only way to watch 4K netflix is in old Edge? I think it's related to that.

Just wanted to provide the side note: if you use the Netflix Windows 10 app, you can enjoy 4K HDR playback.

the main reason I use Chrome over Edge is because my passwords are stored in chrome. I should really get something like LastPass. 

58 minutes ago, descendency said:

the main reason I use Chrome over Edge is because my passwords are stored in chrome. I should really get something like LastPass. 

When you install the new Edge, it can import your password from Chrome and Firefox :)

So I guess the real question here is: What features does this new Edge have that chrome doesn't? Because the only thing I ever used Edge for was if something wasn't loading correctly on chrome. (There goes that one)

4 hours ago, Johners said:

That's something to do with the DRM implemented. Regular Chrome only hade Widevine but regular Edge has PlayReady which is used for 4K & HDR. However, Edge Insider has both DRM formats but I can't seem to watch 4K HDR videos on YouTube.

Chrome also has support for PlayReady. However, because of how Netflix works, it only allows "first party" browsers to view 4k. Microsoft could take Chrome exactly as it is and say "this is our first party browser for Windows", and 4K Netflix would work. However, since it's an external download for Windows, from Google, it's marked as not trusted. 

The same Chrome on ChromeOS plays Netflix just fine, with PlayReady enabled, because it's a first party browser.