PSA - Glass Side Windows - Be Super careful and it still might shatter

Majorpayne

This weekend I planned on installing a dedicated sound card in my system.

• First thing to do is unplug all the cables and pull the system out. Easy, peasey,
  • lay PC on a flat surface, Done.
  • Remove the screws holding the glass in place. Done
  • Carefully lift Glass Side panel off of PC. Done
  • Rotate Glass panel from Horizontal position to Vertical making sure to clear area first using 2 hands.
  • Watch said Glass Panel shatter in your hands before you get to set it down 

Now you might think hey you must have hit something. No, Nothing was around me at the time. I was actually bending down to set it against the desk that i normal place it..

Word to the wise. BE SUPER CAREFUL and it still might break.

20190406_205908 (1).jpg

Broken glass... sounds like a major pain

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Well, yes. It's tempered glass. This can happen. Contact the seller or the case brand, and you should be able to at least get a refund. 

:)

shoutout to my crappy acrylic side panel for not breaking lol

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

Wile Glass side windows do look cool, this has kept me away form them. Unless if they use laminated safety glass I'm not buying a case with glass.

I only bought this cause it was cheaper then the other at the time. I'm asking them to send me the normal side panel

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Well, yes. It's tempered glass. This can happen. Contact the seller or the case brand, and you should be able to at least get a refund. 

I already emailed Be Quiet in order to see if i can get a metal side panel.

3 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Welcome to the world of aesthetics, where you pay for shitty glass that shatters if you look at it wrong.

First and Last time i buy a Glass Panel even if it's cheaper. 

On 4/8/2019 at 6:29 PM, handymanshandle said:

Welcome to the world of aesthetics, where you pay for shitty glass that shatters if you look at it wrong.

They are not shitty, it is just the nature of how tempered glass works. Had glass doors on cabinets/TV-benches do the same. And all panels (for doors, cases and so on) come more or less come from the same manufacturer...

On 4/8/2019 at 6:21 PM, Majorpayne said:

Word to the wise. BE SUPER CAREFUL and it still might break.

Yep, that's the nature of "tempered" Glass.

Nothing you can do about it, as it is always stressed, thus shattering into thousand pieces and not just in a couple big ones.

The advantage of tempered glass is that its less likely to hurt you than normal glass.

Look at Youtube, you find some Videos about it, even Engineering ones.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

fitting user name? but yeah these things happen, the tiniest chip in the glass can spread into invisible hairline cracks and before you know it *BOOM*

Hey All, 

Yeah I understand it's the nature still just sucks. I wanted to give a update on this. Last Monday they asked for a pic which i supplied. Wednesday the Steel Side Panel arrived no questions asked. After I removed the standoff's that  the glass side panel used to keep it in place the new side panel slid in effortlessly. I'm not sure about you all but I don't this i have ever dealt will a issue so easily. I will be buying from this company time and time again. 

Thanks for the feedback and glad to hear everything got sorted out in the end. Most of the time we never gets to know how it ends.... 

• 3 years later...
On 4/8/2019 at 11:21 AM, Majorpayne said:

dedicated sound card

What was the sound card? 

Was it worth it did you like it?