Laptop won't recognize new RAM.

Go to solution Solved by Geraldino,
16 minutes ago, ilkork92 said:

Hello there.
I have an old Toshiba Satellite C660-1MK (full specs here) which came with 3GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM pre-installed (1x2GB this one, 1x1GB this one which also has a manual). Manufacturer's website says RAM can be upgraded to 8GB max DDR3 1066/1333MHz. So I went and bought 2x4GB this one, to upgrade it. The problem is that, while BIOS recognizes both modules together (total 8192MB of RAM), I can't boot into windows. It gives me a white dash on top left corner. And the weird thing is that, if I mix one module from the old ones (say the 1x2GB) with one module from the new ones, I can normally boot into windows, it now recognizes 6GB of RAM. But if I only use one module from the new ones, I get the same "dash on top left corner error". So, why can't I use both modules of the new RAM at the same time and have 8GB RAM?

The only differences I can see are:
-old ones have PC3-10600 and new ones have PC3-10666 (but isn't that just marketing?)
-old ones have 4 banks on each side, new ones have 8 banks on each side, check images below. (by banks, I mean those black rectangles in the modules, excuse me, I am not that tech savvy)

Other than these differences, everything else is the same, DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM, SO-DIMM, Unbuffered, NON-ECC, CL9, 204 pin, 1.5V.

So far, I've tried:
-replaced old CMOS battery with new one
-made a fresh install of Windows 7-64bit
-checked both new RAM modules with Windows Memory Diagnostic (I did it by mixing one from the old modules with one from the new ones)
-every driver is updated

My BIOS version is 1.50 from 15/12/2011 (15th of December 2011) and manufacturer's website says that the last modified bios version is 1.50 from 14/02/2012 (14th of February 2012). I haven't checked that yet, didn't update it, but, could that be it? Why give it the same name (1.50)?

Some images from my BIOS settings (while the new RAM sticks are inserted) here.
Some images from system properties, msinfo32, dxdiag (while one from the old modules and one from the new ones are mixed) here.
Images from HWInfo (while one from the old modules and one from the new ones are mixed) here.
The old modules and the new ones here.

The problem Is that the 10666 is different from the 10600. Try getting PC3-10600 ram. That seems to be a laptop related issue because on a desktop the 10666 or the 10600 both work(and I'm talking about desktops not laptops and it's just an example). I know this because I've had a similar problem like this one. Ps(to everyone replying) : don't come at me saying that pc3-10600 is the same as pc3-10666. I know they are but only in desktops. Some laptops do work with 10666 but others don't. 

Hello there.
I have an old Toshiba Satellite C660-1MK (full specs here) which came with 3GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM pre-installed (1x2GB this one, 1x1GB this one which also has a manual). Manufacturer's website says RAM can be upgraded to 8GB max DDR3 1066/1333MHz. So I went and bought 2x4GB this one, to upgrade it. The problem is that, while BIOS recognizes both modules together (total 8192MB of RAM), I can't boot into windows. It gives me a white dash on top left corner. And the weird thing is that, if I mix one module from the old ones (say the 1x2GB) with one module from the new ones, I can normally boot into windows, it now recognizes 6GB of RAM. But if I only use one module from the new ones, I get the same "dash on top left corner error". So, why can't I use both modules of the new RAM at the same time and have 8GB RAM?

-old ones have PC3-10600 and new ones have PC3-10666 (but isn't that just marketing?)
-old ones have 4 banks on each side, new ones have 8 banks on each side, check images below. (by banks, I mean those black rectangles in the modules, excuse me, I am not that tech savvy)

Other than these differences, everything else is the same, DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM, SO-DIMM, Unbuffered, NON-ECC, CL9, 204 pin, 1.5V.

So far, I've tried:
-checked both new RAM modules with Windows Memory Diagnostic (I did it by mixing one from the old modules with one from the new ones)
-every driver is updated

My BIOS version is 1.50 from 15/12/2011 (15th of December 2011) and manufacturer's website says that the last modified bios version is 1.50 from 14/02/2012 (14th of February 2012). I haven't checked that yet, didn't update it, but, could that be it? Why give it the same name (1.50)?

Some images from system properties, msinfo32, dxdiag (while one from the old modules and one from the new ones are mixed) here.
Images from HWInfo (while one from the old modules and one from the new ones are mixed) here.

16 minutes ago, ilkork92 said:

Hello there.

So far, I've tried:
-every driver is updated

The problem Is that the 10666 is different from the 10600. Try getting PC3-10600 ram. That seems to be a laptop related issue because on a desktop the 10666 or the 10600 both work(and I'm talking about desktops not laptops and it's just an example). I know this because I've had a similar problem like this one. Ps(to everyone replying) : don't come at me saying that pc3-10600 is the same as pc3-10666. I know they are but only in desktops. Some laptops do work with 10666 but others don't. 

Just now, diogo_the_man said:

The problem Is that the 10666 is different from the 10600. Try getting PC3-10600 ram. That seems to be a laptop related issue because on a desktop the 10666 or the 10600 both work(and I'm talking about desktops not laptops and it's just an example). I know this because I've had a similar problem like this one. Ps(to everyone replying) : don't come at me saying that pc3-10600 is the same as pc3-10666. I know they are but only in desktops. 

Thank you for the reply!
But, if you are correct, how can you explain the fact that I can use one module from the new RAM mixed with one module from the old one, boot into windows and generally use the laptop?

1 minute ago, ilkork92 said:

Thank you for the reply!
But, if you are correct, how can you explain the fact that I can use one module from the new RAM mixed with one module from the old one, boot into windows and generally use the laptop?

It's because the bios downclocks the new module that you've installed

1 minute ago, diogo_the_man said:

It's because the bios downclocks the new module that you've installed

I see. I'll probably send them back to the store to get different ones.
Thank you very much!

Just now, ilkork92 said:

I see. I'll probably send them back to the store to get different ones.
Thank you very much!

No problem. Let me know when you get the new ones. Keep me updated :)

Just now, diogo_the_man said:

No problem. Let me know when you get the new ones. Keep me updated :)

Yes, I'll post here with results once I get the new ones. Btw, I'm thinking of buying either these (2 of them cause they come separately) or these, do you think I'll be fine?

3 minutes ago, ilkork92 said:

Yes, I'll post here with results once I get the new ones. Btw, I'm thinking of buying either these (2 of them cause they come separately) or these, do you think I'll be fine?

Yeah it should be. Buy the corsair ones. 

1 minute ago, diogo_the_man said:

Ok, thank you!

Try using the bios to oc the ram to the rated speed. If down clocking doesn't work maybe overclocking might. But that sounds like the boot drive isn't found if it's not booting. Take a look at boot order and at what drives are detected in the BIOS. Cause if the ram is seen and booted to bios windows should boot unless it's Overclocked and unstable but down clocking to the jdec spec shouldn't cause issue cause all ram is rated for jdec spec and anything faster advertised is a pre-overclocked kit. 

3 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

Try using the bios to oc the ram to the rated speed. If down clocking doesn't work maybe overclocking might. But that sounds like the boot drive isn't found if it's not booting. Take a look at boot order and at what drives are detected in the BIOS. Cause if the ram is seen and booted to bios windows should boot unless it's Overclocked and unstable but down clocking to the jdec spec shouldn't cause issue cause all ram is rated for jdec spec and anything faster advertised is a pre-overclocked kit. 

I don't think I can do that, since it's a laptop. Could you please have a look at the OP, I posted images from my BIOS settings.
Also, in these images you can see that it found my kingston ssd.

1 hour ago, diogo_the_man said:

Excuse me sir, wouldn't it be safer bet if I buy slower 8GB memory (2x4GB 1066MHz, something like this) ? I am asking because I have doubts whether the 8GB 1333MHz (2x4GB) will work.

4 hours ago, ilkork92 said:

Excuse me sir, wouldn't it be safer bet if I buy slower 8GB memory (2x4GB 1066MHz, something like this) ? I am asking because I have doubts whether the 8GB 1333MHz (2x4GB) will work.

Since you can't change the speed it might not be down clocking the ram at all. Instead it's reading the chips on the dimm seeing the rated speed and trying to run it and the memory controller can't handle it. So it's not down clocked it's running at the advertised speed but since you can't change it the imc (integrated memory controller) can't run it. So I'd say get ones that match the speed, voltage and CAS latency of the original just in higher capacity so the only thing that changed is you went from 1 by 2 to 4 by 4 gig dimms and everything else is the same for best compatibility.

1 hour ago, Turretgaming said:

Since you can't change the speed it might not be down clocking the ram at all. Instead it's reading the chips on the dimm seeing the rated speed and trying to run it and the memory controller can't handle it. So it's not down clocked it's running at the advertised speed but since you can't change it the imc (integrated memory controller) can't run it. So I'd say get ones that match the speed, voltage and CAS latency of the original just in higher capacity so the only thing that changed is you went from 1 by 2 to 4 by 4 gig dimms and everything else is the same for best compatibility.

Ok, thank you. I will probably go with 2x these.

18 hours ago, ilkork92 said:

Ok, thank you. I will probably go with 2x these.

They look good to me but always make sure you know the return policy before buying anything.

23 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

They look good to me but always make sure you know the return policy before buying anything.

Yeah. I mean, the basic characteristics are exactly like the ones I purchased. The only difference was that those dimms were PC3-10666, while the ones I'm looking to purchase now are PC3-10600. Also, and I am not sure if it makes any difference, my old RAM modules have 4 banks on each side (those black rectangles), while the incompatible ones have 8 banks on each side (you can have a look at them here). And I've noticed that the replacement (the Corsair ones) also have 8 banks on each side. Don't know if that will make them incompatible as well...

3 hours ago, ilkork92 said:

Yeah. I mean, the basic characteristics are exactly like the ones I purchased. The only difference was that those dimms were PC3-10666, while the ones I'm looking to purchase now are PC3-10600. Also, and I am not sure if it makes any difference, my old RAM modules have 4 banks on each side (those black rectangles), while the incompatible ones have 8 banks on each side (you can have a look at them here). And I've noticed that the replacement (the Corsair ones) also have 8 banks on each side. Don't know if that will make them incompatible as well...

those banks are the nand flash chips so the actual memory where the pcb is how we mount the so we can install them into a standard dimm and also has a controller for the xmp modes if they have it.

3 hours ago, Turretgaming said:

those banks are the nand flash chips so the actual memory where the pcb is how we mount the so we can install them into a standard dimm and also has a controller for the xmp modes if they have it.

I see. Well, thank you for your time as well. Some hours ago I sent the incompatible modules back to the store and I'm waiting for the new ones.
I will post back with results, once I receive them.

Unfortunately, the 2x Corsair ones I was about to purchase are out of stock, so I can now order these (and their manual here).
I don't think I will have any problems, 8GB DDR3 1333MHz SDRAM (4GB 1Rx8 512M x 64-Bit x 2 pcs.) PC3-10600 CL9 204-Pin 1.5V SODIMM Kit.
What do you think?

Update and SOLVED: Finally, today I got this 2x4GB DDR3 1333MHz PC3-10600 Kingston RAM and everything's fine, the system recognized both of the modules. I even ran a windows memory diagnostic, no errors there. The difference in speed probably played a part here (incompatible Mushkin ones were PC3-10666 and new Kingston ones are PC3-10600). The other is that the Kingston modules have 4 banks on each side (8 total on one dimm), whereas the Mushkin ones had 8 banks on each side (for a total of 16 on the dimm). Don't know if that made any difference or if it was just the PC3-10600.

System properties, msinfo32, dxdiag and hwinfo images here.

4 hours ago, ilkork92 said:

Update and SOLVED: Finally, today I got this 2x4GB DDR3 1333MHz PC3-10600 Kingston RAM and everything's fine, the system recognized both of the modules. I even ran a windows memory diagnostic, no errors there. The difference in speed probably played a part here (incompatible Mushkin ones were PC3-10666 and new Kingston ones are PC3-10600). The other is that the Kingston modules have 4 banks on each side (8 total on one dimm), whereas the Mushkin ones had 8 banks on each side (for a total of 16 on the dimm). Don't know if that made any difference or if it was just the PC3-10600.

System properties, msinfo32, dxdiag and hwinfo images here.

Awsome :)