cracking TOR

TheBean
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
On 4/7/2019 at 7:35 PM, WereCatf said:

I do not think there is any technical reason for why they couldn't do that, they just aren't doing it now/yet.

Well for one thing Tor can be dog slow as it is due to how the routing works, adding dummy traffic to the mix it would be like dialup.

I just watched a video on the computerphile channel about Tor routing. they mentioned that a weakpoint is that you can figure out what a person is doing based on the scheduling of the packets. my question is that why cant the client send fake packets through the network so that there is a constant stream of packets. that would make it impossible to figure out where you connect and what you do there. 

4 minutes ago, Saksham said:

my question is that why cant the client send fake packets through the network so that there is a constant stream of packets.

I do not think there is any technical reason for why they couldn't do that, they just aren't doing it now/yet.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

On 4/7/2019 at 7:35 PM, WereCatf said:

Well for one thing Tor can be dog slow as it is due to how the routing works, adding dummy traffic to the mix it would be like dialup.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yes, but that's a practical reason, not a technical one.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

27 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Yes, but that's a practical reason, not a technical one.

The really important details usually are practical limitations rather than technical.

There's no technical reason we can't all have Gigabit fibre and insanely fast PCs.  Its always the practical details that get in the way.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The really important details usually are practical limitations rather than technical.

There's no technical reason we can't all have Gigabit fibre and insanely fast PCs.  Its always the practical details that get in the way.

Um, yes, I know. I'm not sure what your point is; I do know the difference between technical and practical.

TOR is already slow, adding more traffic like @Alex Atkin UKsaid would make it slow, and TOR inherently isn't fully safe.

Use a VPN.. sheesh.

If my answer got you to your solution make sure to 'Mark Resolved!
( / . _ . / )

3 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Um, yes, I know. I'm not sure what your point is; I do know the difference between technical and practical.

My point was that in a case like this you could argue that the practical limitation is also a technical one, because its how the technology works that makes it impractical.

Its almost always about writing a technical solution to get around a practical limitation.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 7:03 AM, GabeThePCHelper said:

TOR is already slow, adding more traffic like @Alex Atkin UKsaid would make it slow, and TOR inherently isn't fully safe.

Use a VPN.. sheesh.

both would be better