Cooling a PC with the kitchen sink!!

nicklmg

Just gonna post "first" right now and then think of a witty remark when I finish the video

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

3 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

I haven't watched the video yet, but I know these will happen:

1. Linus drops something expensive and irreparable.

2. The tubing gets a leak.

1) It's Alex and Jake and they're actually vaguely competent

2) Sort of ?

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Another waterblock wasted. Plus a bigger utility bill.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

16 minutes ago, seoz said:

What was the monitoring software they were using at around the 1:16 mark called where it shows mins, maxs, current, and averages?

AIDA64 Extreme -> System Stability Test

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

I was actually thinking how this kind of watercooling be for some years. Its really cool you guys tried it.?

I still can't understand why you set the warm pipe to the container... that absolutely change the temps i guess

So basically 150 liters per hour ... 1000 liters in 1 cubic meter of water (unless Google is wrong) at around 1.5$ per cubic meter (google price for water in Canada) ... it costs you about 22 cents per hour in water.

At around 10-15 cents per kWh, it would probably be cheaper to buy a few peltier elements to cool the container with water for a pump that would then recirculate the water.

Buy a couple of these and screw them to an aluminum or copper container with some big fans to dissipate the heat and you got yourself ice cold water: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cui-inc/CPM-2F/102-1738-ND/1914115

Buy a Polyscience 6000 series refrigerated chiller,  at like $5000 you can get over 2kW of cooling power at 20C, up to 100PSI pressure and over 10 litres per minute, recirculated.

Only con is they draw like 16A and heat your room up like crazy. But hey, saves the filtered water right?

So my house is on a spring, and there's a pump in the basement that pumps  groundwater out and away from the house to prevent the basement flooding. 

It enters at about 5c, something like 100-300L/h depending on the time of year. I've been seriously considering for years now using this water to cool my PC. Since we're pumping it anyways, all I would have to do is divert it through my PC on the way out. 

Time for LMG to make a field trip I think

Flex tape would help

Is Alex an engineer? Or at least an engineering student or dropout?

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

If you live next to a stream that has relatively clean water, you can either pump that water through the loop and dump it back into the stream or just have a section of pipe submerged into the stream acting as a heatsink. A pipe coiling would be better to avoid clogging which would happen if you'd submerge regular computer radiator into it.

Streams/rivers are usually very cold so that would probably work super well and only cost would be a bit more powerful pump due to larger distance and electricity for it.

Hey Alex, TRY ADDING SALT* (or a "chillinator" make of an insulated coil of copper tubing inside an enclosure filled with ice or dry ice) ~ the Mythbusters used these methods to cool room-temp beer to 38o F in less than 3 minutes.

Spoiler

18kwpwpjpdsobjpg.jpg

As demonstrated in the first half (15:50) of the "Cooling a Six Pack" episode: 

Episode Summary and Guides (from people who saw the episode and tried it for themselves):

Spoiler

If nothing else convinces you to try it out, I"ll bet this song will:

*liquid nitrogen assisted cooling or a constant spray of CO2 from a dozen fire extinguishers would probably also do the trick. 

image.gif

image.gif

On 4/8/2019 at 2:08 AM, dasbene said:

In Why does LTT have so many staff?? (7:02) they say he didn't complete finished his engineering major.

I thought as much. He reminds me so much of a good friend of mine who also didn't finish his engineering degree. The resemblance is uncanny. No disrespect, though. I know a lot of people who are extremely smart despite, and perhaps even because, they didn't go to or finish uni.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

Quoting myself from another thread:

On 4/9/2019 at 10:02 PM, StackUnderflow said:

Dry ice sublimates at around -80C, water would freeze at this temperature, but ethanol wouldn't.

So, in a cold resistant glass tub, put in chunks of dry ice and something that resembles pure ethanol (200 proof being the best, but if you can't get it, acetone would also work, failing that extremely high proof vodka would probably also work (For full list of liquids: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooling_bath). And use a ultra low temp pump (there are commercial ones available, so you don't have to make your own) to pump this solution through a CPU block and put it back into the glass tub. Add dry ice as needed to achieve cheap semi-permanent -80C rig.

Or alternatively to avoid doing all that pumps and tubing and whatnot, just run a loop with alcohol and stick the radiator in a big tub of alcohol + dry ice and to hell with it and see what happens. Get the benchmarks before the pump breaks or the tubes freeze. This is much easier to do.

The benefits are: dry ice is cheap and the coolant is cheap and recycled. You would get ultra low temps (not quite LN2 but easily achievable compared to having the specialty gear and skill and constant focus and attention to work a LN2 rig) semi-permanently. It also circulates the coolant which LN2 rigs don't tend to do. Further, no one on YouTube has done this yet, so it'd be novel (actually I think JayzTwoCents did a video with the dry ice coolant in a LN2 setup with no circulation, and it was leaking acetone all over the place because he did it with a LN2 setup and LN2 setups are designed for a nonconductive, easily evaporated liquid but acetone doesn't evaporate).

The cons are: You face issues with condensation as with LN2 (you might need some of the heating setups LN2 requires), the rubber tubes and O Rings might freeze solid, so you might have to use copper and low temperature sealant. Dry Ice + alcohol is also much more dangerous to handle than LN2 due to the Leidenfrost effect.

P.S. You can get water ice baths to go crazy low temps by adding salt and brine (down to -40C at times), it'd be interesting to see what the rig featured in the tap water cooling video would get if you just add some salt to the tub with ice water, that could be a video by itself too (more details in the wiki link above)...

Well, it's a cool idea for a short time cooling boost, but a permanent setup using tap water?

A WASTE OF WATER.

Unless you lived in the cellar of anpartment and hooked it up to the main water supply; an apartment of people should cause enough water flow.

On 4/12/2019 at 6:48 AM, SesMoge said:

Unless you lived in the cellar of anpartment and hooked it up to the main water supply; an apartment of people should cause enough water flow.

That would actually be interesting, if city water comes in at 10C and you're running water to 100 units there's probably always at least 2L/min.

If you cool 200W with that, that's 12000J/min.  

12000 J / 2000g with a specific heat of ~4 joule/gram °C  wouldn't even bring the water up to 12C. Nobody would care if their tap water was just that much warmer. 

Utterly pointless and really quite dull video. It was like watching two children playing with their mum's undies. Really sad.

• 2 weeks later...

What a pointless video. I guess the kids ran riot, whilst Dad was away.

This is why, Linus can't take a holiday, because the rest of the team cannot be trusted to produce good content. This video was complete crap.