what should I upgrade to

galagagamer1092
Go to solution Solved by mrmoyer,

I'm gonna be honest here I don't know if you can hit guaranteed 144fps on 1440p with $300. With this budget you really dont have money for a new mobo, cpu, and gpu. With just upgrading your gpu your cpu will bottleneck any higher end card. I think 144 fps is pretty unrealistic with this cpu unless you're playing something like csgo, league or fortnite. If you even have the extra cables for a gpu (prebuilt might have proprietary power supply) that doesn't run of pci power I would just get an rx 570 or 580 and just save your money for a better pc.

hello, I have a Dell Inspiron gaming 5680 from with a gtx 1050 and an i3 8100. I want to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz setup and was wondering which GPU CPU and fan combination I should upgrade to. I only have about $300 to upgrade and I want it to compete with the new google stadia.

link to the prebuilt I have

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-gaming-desktops/inspiron-gaming-desktop/spd/inspiron-5680-gaming-desktop/ndblutcf109ps

I'm gonna be honest here I don't know if you can hit guaranteed 144fps on 1440p with $300. With this budget you really dont have money for a new mobo, cpu, and gpu. With just upgrading your gpu your cpu will bottleneck any higher end card. I think 144 fps is pretty unrealistic with this cpu unless you're playing something like csgo, league or fortnite. If you even have the extra cables for a gpu (prebuilt might have proprietary power supply) that doesn't run of pci power I would just get an rx 570 or 580 and just save your money for a better pc.

Mrmoyer is correct at your price range and your current components there is no way you're going to get that kind of performance for $300. You bought a low tier, low budget Dell prebuilt that is more than likely a proprietary layout, that means if you want to upgrade cpu, cooler, mobo, or even gpu you would have to buy a whole new case and powersupply as well. For your price the only way to go would be Ryzen and unfortunately that means new pretty much everything. As for gpu, you could go RTX 2060 or GTX 1660ti, but they're pretty much your entire budget. You could do as Mrmoyer said and go with an RX 570 or 580 and save some money for a new build. But 1440p @ 144hz is a pipe dream for your system without a full rebuild. With your current system a 1080p monitor at a high refresh rate is more feasible.

Just looked at the spec sheet for your prebuilt, it is in fact a proprietary motherboard and power supply, you might not be able to get a better gpu at all, it more than likely only has one 6-pin connector and that drastically decreases compatible cards you can upgrade too. It's also only a 460w non certified janky powersupply so any high tier card is going to more than likely have issues. It's honestly not worth putting any money into it, I'd personally sell it and save the money for a new system, preferably not prebuilt. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |