How to check if PSU will kill my parts

Casual Cube
Go to solution Solved by Rexper,

Usually the protections inside the PSU would prevent harm from shorts like this. Otherwise you'd hear and see a bang!

You could use the PSU tester or paperclip, hook up a couple fans (zero load does funky things), and test the 12V, 5V, 3.3V and -5V rail with a multimeter. Ensure they are all withing spec (+-5%).

If readings are fine, the PSU is also likely fine. Just remember to use the right cable next time.

Hey guys.

A few days ago I killed a motherbaord by doing something dumb; I swapped psu cables.

While checking all my parts, I was able to confirm that every part of my PC works except my motherboard. However, I wasn't able to check my PSU.

After using the self tester provided by EVGA (props), the fan came on.

I'm now wondering if there's a way to know if the thing is damaged inside in a way it might kill a new board etc.

In fact, I don't even know if I need to worry about this. If swapping cables can damage the internals or swap it around that it might not push out the same voltage or something. 

Anyone out there who know anything about this/ have experience on this? (EVGA 650W G3)

@LukeSavenije summon the PSU thread army! 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Could always use a voltmeter (if you have one) to check if you get 3.3v, 5v, and 12v on the correct pins.

-アパゾ

4 minutes ago, Casual Cube said:

I swapped psu cables.

as in different cables? or just swapping them around on the psu?

7 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

as in different cables? or just swapping them around on the psu?

I used GQ cables with my G2 because they were slim compared to my fat round ones. I hadn't looked it up before.

Edit: Not all, just a few. I don't remember them all but I used CPU, Peripheral, SATA and PCIE. Although all of those parts are running fine except the motherboard (Asus Stric B450-I)

18 minutes ago, APasz said:

Could always use a voltmeter (if you have one) to check if you get 3.3v, 5v, and 12v on the correct pins.

is there a way of knowing which pins? all these wires are black..

3 minutes ago, Casual Cube said:

is there a way of knowing which pins? all these wires are black..

atx-connector-20-24pin.jpeg

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I was also wondering if I'm on the right track here. Can such a mistake mess up the psu?

Usually the protections inside the PSU would prevent harm from shorts like this. Otherwise you'd hear and see a bang!

You could use the PSU tester or paperclip, hook up a couple fans (zero load does funky things), and test the 12V, 5V, 3.3V and -5V rail with a multimeter. Ensure they are all withing spec (+-5%).

If readings are fine, the PSU is also likely fine. Just remember to use the right cable next time.

2 minutes ago, Rexper said:

Thank you my man. You summed it up as I'd hoped.

Also, Thanks to everyone here for your responses, especially those pictures. I'll be doing these tests soon and will get back to you!

20 hours ago, Rexper said:

Hey I was wondering something else. Maybe this will be the information you need to diagnose this certainly. 

Before I saw smoke coming out of my motherboard, There was a different combination of wires that I don't remember. There, it wouldnt boot at all. In fact when I pressed the power button, I noticed a faint "switch sound". Something like a hum click as if it was failing to start up by possibly a safety mechanism. It came from the power supply. Would this indicate that it protected itself and still working fine? 

Sorry I can't describe the sound any better. Think a whistling hum switch off sound. similar to like, iron mans respulsor blast or something lol I really cant explain better. *click* *hums to zero*

Edirt: additional info: the soudn only happened once each time I reset the psu switch. I turned it on, pressed pwr, heard the sound, nothing happens, pressed pwr again and again, nothing. Until I turn off the psu and back.

@Casual Cube That is nothing strange, it is a capacitor that looses it charge when you turn the PSU off with the PSU-switch or remove the cord. The "click" you only hear once is then it gets its charge when you plug your PSU in or flick the switch to on position.

Most likely is that only the motherboard that is fried when it got the wrong currents/voltages when you used the wrong cable that switched some of the wires on the PSU-end of the cable, like 12V on a 3.3V line or a +V line to a -V line. As the root of the fault was not in the PSU and it was sending out the wrong voltages on the right PSU/MB-cable it is most unlikely any damage has occurred to it. RAM, CPU, GPU, HDD/SSD and so on is most likely OK as well, but you have to test those out one at a time. 

2 hours ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Most likely is that only the motherboard that is fried when it got the wrong currents/voltages when you used the wrong cable that switched some of the wires on the PSU-end of the cable, like 12V on a 3.3V line or a +V line to a -V line. As the root of the fault was not in the PSU and it was sending out the wrong voltages on the right PSU/MB-cable it is most unlikely any damage has occurred to it. RAM, CPU, GPU, HDD/SSD and so on is most likely OK as well, but you have to test those out one at a time. 

Thanks a lot for your input, talking penguin. I've tested all those parts you mentioned on a secondary rig and have confirmed that they run perfectly fine. Its just the dead mobo and uncertain psu. I think that, from what you say, the psu is fine too. The pin test spun the fan, no pops or lights were noticed and these are all top of the line parts so they should have failsafes if anything. Tomorrow night I'll get my new mobo (MSI B450M Gaming Plus) which costs half as much as the last mobo. I feel safe enough to plug it into my psu. I don't have a voltmeter to do any tests so faith will have to do.