Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. horse

Retro Water Cooled Gaming PC and a sleeper.

Just now, Mr. horse said:

100%

All of my PCI slot stuff is being phased out :( My PCI to usb cards, serial ata cards, esata, passthroughs...makes me sad :( I sometimes just slot them with no intention to use if the board has the slot like Bob Ross puts a bird on the canvas - here little PCI guy, Ill just put a happy you right there. lol

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 2133mhz Patriot Viper, Corsair HX850 PSU, Stock cooler (bracket in the mail), 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case

Ryzen Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, 640gb WD Blue 7200 RPM Mech drive, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 Case

Media Center:  See Project: Dwight in the builds section of the forum

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, M.2 Intel Wifi/Bluetooth

A couple laptops and tablets around the house

Posted · Original PosterOP

Got the hard drives today.

There defiantly new. I even have the original recipe. They were sold at best buy in 2005 for 105.99$ with a rewards card. 

The guy paid with a diners club card of all things.

saidly the drivers are a latter production from 2005. But there more or less the same as the drives from 2002. Just a different lable and tge casing is anodized black. As far as I know their identical in every other way.    

IMG_5076.JPG

IMG_5077.JPG

IMG_5078.JPG

I got the Hdd block mounted and won a CRT tube tester/balancer and rejuvenator on ebay. Now I'll be able to restore the old CRT monitor I have as close to original working order. 

I also got side tracked over the weekend. But I'm back to working on the system today. more photos soon.

I also went with rounded IDE cables for the Hdds. I did not have the right size flat IDE cables witch is disappointing as most rounded IDE cables preform worse then flat cables do to higher cross talk. But I don't think I would see any difference with the drives I have and the KG7's ata100 raid chip set. I would need a latter ata133 controller with a ssd to see a difference at less the 6 inches of cable.

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, been busy. I hope to get the PSU rewired tonight.

Also if anyone that interested, the CRT restorer and tester I bought is a B&K Precision 467. You want the 467 if your resorting a Triton CRT like my monitor as opposed to the 465. Not that the 465 can't do Triton's. Its just not tuned for it and your more likely to blow the tube with it.

I hope is has the right hook ups for the tube in my monitor and its missing two of the smaller tube hook ups so it does not look good. I may have to make or track down the right tube connector.

EDIT: I should get the B&K Precision 467 Friday.

The video card is still MIA.

Ok. I got the B&K 467 Friday. 

Sadly I cant find the specks on the monitor's tube I have nor do I have the right adapter for it. Its a tube only used by misubishi.

Looking at the tubes model number its a 6.3v htr and 50v g1

But Ill still have to use clamps on the leads of the tube or find the right adapter to plug the tube into the B&K. 

I did clean and balance my old TV.  

But the TV still needs a recap and the tube has a slight htr leak so it will never quite work right. 

Regarding the CRT monitor I have. It just needs a clean and balance and the contrast fixed. So  its no biggy that I cant use the B&K on it. I can fix 90% of its problems with fine tunning. 

Attached is an image of my late 70s tv after it was cleaned and balanced. Some day ill gut it and put a newer tv in it.

IMG_5097.JPG

19 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

-snip-

You whipped Alf out...your age is showing, zip up!

always informative posts, thanks!

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 2133mhz Patriot Viper, Corsair HX850 PSU, Stock cooler (bracket in the mail), 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case

Ryzen Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, 640gb WD Blue 7200 RPM Mech drive, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 Case

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, M.2 Intel Wifi/Bluetooth

Im younger them one may think. 

There is a local over the air TV channel that airs only shows from the late 80s and back were I live.  

Attached is an image of the B&K 467.

IMG_5098.JPG

Sorry for the delays and lack of updates everyone. I been rather busy with other things right now.

I have a car I need to fix up, been loaded down at work and family stuff.

Tonight I'll get back at it and rewire the PSU. I'm going to use UV cables and if I have them UV connectors.  

If I get the PSU rewired tonight and still have time I'll pull the motherboard and start removing the caps.

I still haven't gotten a video card, I'm thinking of getting a 5950 ultra or a 5900 ultra and mod it into a 5950 ultra. But I haven't made up my mind yet.

Stay tuned for updates latter tonight.

26 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

Scratch that. I'm swapping cases for the build.

Stay tuned.

Oooo excited to see what ancient hot mess you drag up into this build!

25 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Oooo excited to see what ancient hot mess you drag up into this build!

Oh its ancient. Its a mid 90s server case from antec. I need the desk space and the Koolacne case would take up so much less space for my daily system then a case build for 24 hard drives.

My x79 system runs to hot to shove it under my desk and it takes up over half my desk in the old case so the right thing to do would be to swap cases.

Put the retro gaming PC in the older 90s case and put the newer x79 system in the smaller koolance case.

That is if the 7970s will fit in the koolance case. I may have to mod the case a little.

On a side note, I will have a lot of water cooling parts for sale soon. I will not be needing the 360mm rads or rez or most of the fittings form my x79 system anymore. I'll likely replace the 7970s too with one new card. That extra money will go into the retro gaming PC.