Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. horse

Retro Water Cooled Gaming PC and a sleeper.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hay internet cyberville. I'm working on two biulds. one is a x79 system in a koolance PC2-c case and the other is a early socket 462 system in a mid 90s server case.

Goal for the retro build:

The idea behind it will be a system that was originally build in 2001, but upgraded thorough out its life up until late 2003.It will be top end parts only.

Budget: $500.

Spent so far: $340.44

Parts and Prices:
Case: mid 90s Antec server case
Motherboard: New old stock Abit KG7-Raid. Needs a recap.
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2400+ Free.
GPU: TBD. Likely a fx5950 ultra.
Ram: 2 sticks of DDR 256mb with heatsinks.
Sound card: Audigy 2
HDD: 2 New old stock Western Digital WD1200JB. will be adding more drives.
Fans: scythe 80mm,92mm and 120mm fans.
CD drives. TBD
FDD: 1.44mb FDD
PSU: SPARKLE FSP550PLGR-SLI: Its a tick new for the build. Some day I hope to track down the water cooled PSU from the Koolance PC1-C or make my own PSU water block for a older PSU.
Misc Parts:
18AWG UV cable for custom wiring.
IDE/FDD cables,
Stick on heatsinks for the south bridge and VRM mosfets.

I'll be custom wiring the PSU with UV reactive wires.
I have to repair the reservoir, It has a broken off fitting. I'll tap and add a new fitting.

The hard drives will be used in Raid 1, I would have used raid 0 but I plan to use windows 98 and it gets buggy with drives over 137gb, and yes I know about the patch that fixes that.
The CPU and GPU will be water cooled with the original koolance blacks and dual pump setup.

I'll try to get photos of the case posted tonight. Work on the system will start next week.

EDIT:

And if your wondering, yes I will be using a CRT with with build. Its a mitsubishi diamond pro 20" 2048×1536@75hz. Some day I hope to get a better CRT like the mitsubishi  2070SB, it maxes out at 2048×1536@86hz or maybe one of these wide screen sonny's.

Goal for the X79 sleeper system build:

This system was in my 90s server case the retro system will be using, haveing quad 7970s and a older 8 core xeon it runs hot. too hot to be used in the summer time.

And it takes up most of my desk and is to hot to put under it. So I'll be removing 2 of the 7970s latter upgrading to a newer card single lower powered card and moving it into the the koolance PC2-c case to save space on my desk. Since I use a top end CRT I'll likely get a titan X or 980ti for the system.

I have most of the parts already. Its a case swap more or less.

Koolance PC2-c case.

Asus X79 rog motherboard.

8 core xeon e5 1680v2 @4ghz

Heatkiller Rev4 cpu block.

2 1ghz 7970s, will upgrade latter on.

alphacool blocks for the 7970s.

16gb 1866mhz 7-9-8 timings.

2 512gb SSDs or maybe a a single 512 M.2

D5 pump with fill port.

3/8" tubbing.

240mm rad. Pushing what it could cool but what ever. Once I get a newer single GPU it will be fine.

Sound card is TBD

OS windows 7 64bit, Linux once I get a new GPU.

I have Dyslexia, my posts will have spelling and grammar errors. I try me best, but I will still make mistakes.

Here is a photo of some of the erly blocks Ill bw useing. Some are newer then 2002 and as much as Id prefer to use the newer blocks I think Ill stick with the older era correct blocks. 

I have the original fittings and mounts too. 

IMG_5039.JPG

IMG_5040.JPG

I have Dyslexia, my posts will have spelling and grammar errors. I try me best, but I will still make mistakes.

niiiiiiice!  Im doing a 2012 era build LOL - called Project Dwight.  Just used some of the same aluminum blocks for a GPU block :)

HAVE FUN Ill be following.

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 2133mhz Patriot Viper, Corsair HX850 PSU, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm AIO push top exhaust, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case

Ryzen Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, 640gb WD Blue 7200 RPM Mech drive, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 Case

Media Center:  See Project: Dwight in the builds section of the forum

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, M.2 Intel Wifi/Bluetooth

A couple laptops and tablets around the house

7 hours ago, Tristerin said:

niiiiiiice!  Im doing a 2012 era build LOL - called Project Dwight.  Just used some of the same aluminum blocks for a GPU block :)

HAVE FUN Ill be following.

Is this the build you speek of?

Definitely not the same blocks. From the looks of it those are fined chambered blocks. What I have are original cross drilled blocks from koolance. 

Your blocks are far better prefoming and they look larger too.

Ether way, you look to be off to a good start.

8 hours ago, Mr. horse said:

Is this the build you speek of?

Definitely not the same blocks. From the looks of it those are fined chambered blocks. What I have are original cross drilled blocks from koolance. 

Your blocks are far better prefoming and they look larger too.

Ether way, you look to be off to a good start.

I was looking at the little aluminum two porters on your pics, similar to the one I just installed on that GPU - not sure if those are the same or not, I just went with aluminum because it was $2 from aliexpress shipped lol

I do enjoy messing with these adult legos and will be following your build.  Its going to be epic. 

Heading out right now to hit up the resale shops in the area (do it about once a month) hoping to pick up retro PC parts for next to nothing lol - and get some Victorian style clothing while I'm there for a completely different event LOL.

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 2133mhz Patriot Viper, Corsair HX850 PSU, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm AIO push top exhaust, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case

Ryzen Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, 640gb WD Blue 7200 RPM Mech drive, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 Case

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, M.2 Intel Wifi/Bluetooth

Well I broke the nicer of the two pump reservoirs :/

I had the new fitting all tapped and ready to leek test. But I over tighted the fitting. 

The other res had spider web crakes and needa the same fitting replaced. I dont think the cracks go all the way through the acrylic. If it leeks Ill make a new res that can fit all 4 pumps I have.  

IMG_5045.JPG

IMG_5046.JPG

IMG_5049.JPG

I recived the cpu yesterday. 

Its funny. I have boxes of old parts and not one socket 462 cpu. But now I have one.

Im still awaiting the motherboard. 

image.jpg

Some photos of the case.

IMG_5055.JPG

IMG_5057.JPG

IMG_5058.JPG

9 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

Some photos of the case.

That color of tower (mmm Mitsubishi drive), plus the hot mess of mustard and ketchup cables is giving me an awkward boner.  Continue good sir.

Ok, tmi. 

Taped the second reservoir. Leak testing now. 

I couldn't find a g1/8 fitting that wasn't coper. So I got a koolance 1/8 ntp to g1/4 fitting. Im not a fan of ntp fittings, but useing a stainless 1/8ntp to g1/4 fitting is better then mixing coper and aluminum. 

A G1/4 fitting wouldn't work. The reservoir walls are too thin and I wanted to tap the thicker area the molded fitting was on.

IMG_5059.JPG

IMG_5060.JPG

what case is that you're using?

Systems:

Main Gaming:                                                        Windows XP:

Ryzen 5 2600                                                               Intel Pentium 3

Asus RX 580 OC                                                     1GB DDR2

Patriot Viper DDR4 8GB                                         Asus Motherboard

Asus ROG B450-I                                                   Dell 300W

Corsair CX 450                                                       ATI Rage 128 Fury Pro

FreeNAS Server:                                                   Windows 98/95 duel boot:

I5 3400k                                                                  Pentium Pro

Patriot DDR3 8GB                                                  HP Vectra motherboard 

Gigabyte Ultra Durable                                           500MB RAM

Rosewill Glacier 600W                                           Soundblaster 16

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

AMD Phenom x4 850                                          Key:

Kukete A78                                                          Motherboard

Kingston 4GB DDR3                                            Memory

Dell 500W                                                            Power Supply

Graphics Card

Other Gaming:                                                    Sound Card

Ryzen 5 2600                                                       Processor

Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2

30 minutes ago, BLLDoesTech said:

what case is that you're using?

Koolance pc2-c

13 minutes ago, kingmustard said:

No matter the era, you should stick with an SSD.

What? I don't want a sub gigabyte ssd that is not much faster then a hdd and is far less reliable. 

Edit:

You might now know this. But SSDs were not always like they are today. Go back 15-20 years and there intended use was far different and they were very unreliable when used inplace of a hard drive in most applications. Most SSD 15-20 years ago had very limited wrights.  They were more intend for use in read only applications.  

Also the pump res doesn't leak! 

Saidly I will not be able to fit dual hdd wheter blocks in the system. 

But I can use one block for both hard drives.

Here is another photo for those that are interested.at some point someone cut a hole in the PSU tray. Likely as they hade a psu with a bottom mounted 80mm fan in their PSU.

IMG_5064.JPG

I'll probably never find the front USB cover for the case or missing drive bay covers. But for now I have a bay cover from another case that fits it. I may replace it with a 5 1/4 inch bay fan. Im also not a big fan of how the optic drives look in the case. Their flat and the bay covers are round.

If it wasn't for the need of a optic drive in such a PC Id remove them and put 3 bay fans in the case since the case lacks an in take fan.

IMG_5065.JPG

8 hours ago, Mr. horse said:

I'll probably never find the front USB cover for the case or missing drive bay covers. But for now I have a bay cover from another case that fits it. I may replace it with a 5 1/4 inch bay fan. Im also not a big fan of how the optic drives look in the case. Their flat and the bay covers are round.

If it wasn't for the need of a optic drive in such a PC Id remove them and put 3 bay fans in the case since the case lacks an in take fan.

If you elect to go that route Evercool makes a HDD/fan intake cage for 2x5.25 slot bays and its a front mesh. It doesn't look like they make it in white, but I have this in black (paid like $12 shipped Newegg) and it is EXCELLENT for my large case that was missing those pieces.  Could paint it white and have a small intake, cage, etc

https://www.coolerguys.com/products/evercool-armor-hdd-cooling-box?variant=27373593417&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIytu09qHA4QIVBlSGCh17XQDGEAQYASABEgJOPPD_BwE

Funny I read this, this morning.  On Project Dwight (no pics yet but got really far into the case mod and parts fitting last night) I am debating 1, 2, or no ODD drive.  I want to go with 1 cause Era.  I want to go with 2 cause ERA lol...but...I need space to hide my cables lol.

Funny you should point that out. I was going to get a Evercool fan bay, but single drive bay models.

It looks like this.

s-l640.jpg

It has a rounded front and would look more correct in the case.

If I end up removing the optic drives I'll get three and put a 120mm fan behind them. If not I'll just get one or two.

Also the case is beige and not white, my cameras sucks.

Yeah, that site has a lot of older goodies.

19 hours ago, Mr. horse said:

Koolance pc2-c

What? I don't want a sub gigabyte ssd that is not much faster then a hdd and is far less reliable. 

Edit:

You might now know this. But SSDs were not always like they are today. Go back 15-20 years and there intended use was far different and they were very unreliable when used inplace of a hard drive in most applications. Most SSD 15-20 years ago had very limited wrights.  They were more intend for use in read only applications.  

Also the pump res doesn't leak! 

I obviously meant a modern SSD.

Having hardware from 2002 is great but the hard disk drives were ridiculously slow. Why limit yourself in that respect? It'll make loading games on it painful.

Keep all the other hardware from 2002 but definitely use a modern SSD as the boot drive. The SSD will indeed run nowhere near the speed it's capable of but it'll still be far faster than a 2002-era HDD. Plus, it'll take up less space and will be silent.

Intel Core i7-8700K, 16 GB DDR4-3000, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080, Microsoft Windows 10. More.

NVIDIA GPU SKU database: Google Sheets.

20 hours ago, kingmustard said:

I obviously meant a modern SSD.

Having hardware from 2002 is great but the hard disk drives were ridiculously slow. Why limit yourself in that respect? It'll make load games on it painful.

No it will not make games load painfully slow. This is not my first retro gaming PC. Yes the older hard drives are slow by today standers but games were much smaller back then and load times will be fine. We are talking about sub 1gb games. Some even less then a 100mb.

The board I have doesn't even have SATA and a SATA PCI card would slow the system down. PCI is a shared bus that tops out at 133mbs. etch device uses some of that 133mbs. Wile there are sata to IDE adapters, they tend to be cheap and not all to worthwhile.

Also the lack of trim and garbage collection support in the OS would kill the SSD rather fast given how 98 used

the page file. Windows 98 on a ssd is a nightmare in the long run.

On top of all that, most PCI sata cards wouldn't be bootable in the system. Id have to use a boot cd or floppy with would be inconvenient and slow the boot process down a good bit.

Basically, one may think a ssd would be better. But its not always better, Its a trade off at best in such a old system.

I know all this sounds odd and wrong, but things are different in older systems then they are today. You can't always directly compare to the two.

I have worked with 90s systems with worn out sub 5200rpm hard drives that boot faster then a modern system with a SSD. A dos system might take up a whopping 50mb with apps and everything instated. 98 install size was about  320mb, but could be lowered to around a 100mb if you striped it down.

I should get the motherboard today.

Tonight I will test fit everything, test the parts I have to BIOS post and start cataloging the caps on the motherboard for replacing. I may cange the voltage and UF rating on the caps used to reach higher overclocks and to allow for a more stable system. But if I recall the AMD 761 chipset is the weak link on the ABIT KG7 and not the cap ratings.

I'll also do a little wright up on recapping a motherboard for those that never recapped a board before. 

I still haven't picked out a video card for the system. I'm stumped on what to use. The ti4600 would be the most stable and compatible with the system, but lacks PS2.0. The ati 9700 would be faster and has PS2.0, but can be buggy with some older boards like the KG7.

I'd like to use a fx5950, it would be the best card for such a system as it has 8-bit padded textures and fog tables needed by some older games and does not have the same buggy problems the ati 9700 or 9800 would have in a older AGP board. But sadly its too new to be in a 2002 system, the FX came out in 2003. 

Test fitted the board last night with the blocks. I'm going to use the newer chipset block. I know its not right as they're very early 2003. But the older block doesn't cover the NB all the way and is a tubbing routing nightmare. 

Since I'm using the newer blocks I changed my plans on the system a little. I already have fans that are newer then 2002 so I changed my dates a little. The idea now is that this system was built originally 2002 but latter upgraded in the latter half of 2003. So yeah. I'm cheating, but its something that defiantly could have happen back in 2003.

Lucky the only bad caps on the board are ones that were recalled. So I only have to replace a few. The rest of the caps are rather good caps. 

IMG_5073.JPG

IMG_5075.JPG

I'm going to start with the custom wiring tonight. I do not think I have all the pins or connectors to wire everything, but I have the wiring and some connectors and pins so I can get a heads start.

12V will use UV green cables, 5v with be UV read and grounds will be UV blue. RGB cables the old school way haha.

All those PCI slots mmmmmmmmm