FX 8350 Throttling on Gigabyte UD3

I have the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 with the 8350 and at any speed, whether it is stock or up to 4.6 I experience throttling.

The speed drops down to 1.4Ghz as the multiplier drops to 7 and the voltage also drops. Only for a second but it is still there.

It did improve with reducing LLC but has not gone away.

This doesn't affect gaming but is a little concerning when folding or running SETI@home.

Overclockers UK, who I bought the bundle from tell me that it is normal for AMD chips to do this but it seems to be a big problem on Gigabyte boards.

Guys who had this issue then changed to an Asus Sabertooth reported that the problem went away.

Where does this stand me guys. I have owned this since October 2013.

The bundle I purchased was CPU, RAM, Board and HSF.

If a company sells items as a bundle they need to be able to work as designed i'm sure. Don't they ?

Nothing to see here - move along.

Temps?

If it drops for less than second, it is not throttling, and it is normal and there is nothing that you can do. :)

(my 8350 does that too sometimes)

This is due to VRM which gets quite hot... Either ghetto mount a fan about VRM heatsink or get a better motherboard... This is probably the bad revision of this motherboard since they had several revisions and one or two are know with throttling problems

EDIT: On overclock.net found that there are problems with rev 3.0

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

Temps?

If it drops for less than second, it is not throttling, and it is normal and there is nothing that you can do. :)

(my 8350 does that too sometimes)

Only happens for a second then maybe every 10 seconds, temps are fine and it happens LESS at 4.6Ghz stan stock.

This is due to VRM which gets quite hot... Either ghetto mount a fan about VRM heatsink or get a better motherboard... This is probably the bad revision of this motherboard since they had several revisions and one or two are know with throttling problems

EDIT: On overclock.net found that there are problems with rev 3.0

Mine is a Rev 3. I have read most of the threads.

Mine is a Rev 3. I have read most of the threads.

Well, youre unlucky... Try mounting a ghetto fan above VRM heatsink or change them to bigger/better heatsinks...

You have a Rev 3.0 board? Because thats what I've spent the last 4 pages complaining about, throttling under load because there is no APM setting.

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Disable AMD AMP (Advanced Power Management) within bios (It should be right after CoolAndQuit setings). However, these chips ar so friggin hot even at stock voltages! Also check the VRM heatsync... It should pretty much burn. If not, it's actually a bad thing!(there is no heat transfer and the mofs just not cooled properly) I replaced that crappy thermal pad with some ceramic based thermal paste and now it burn even with active cooling (from the second cpu cooler fan). Also set the cpu warning temp to 70 degreads because in Vishera case that's actually the socket temp and not the CPU itself. On my board, once it hits the chosen temp warning, it resets the voltages to stock wich will also drive temps instantly to 80 or more (my cooler s not that expensive). Anyway, it is a pain to overclock with a not so good cpu cooler....

EDIT: be smart and set HWInfo to shutdown your PC once it hits a critical temp. Hope it helps!

your board is not that bad compared with asrock "extreme horror stories 3" and even lowish end MSI..

extreme horror stories 3 http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157394

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Disable AMD AMP

GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 3.0 boards doesnt have APM... This wont help.

GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 3.0 boards doesnt have APM... This wont help.

Use this tool instead. It's pretty handy if yoy know how to use it. I did use it a wile ago but now I managed to have 0.75v idle within bios so pstates are having optimal voltages by default. You can enable/disable C&Q, AMP, set CPU-NB voltages per pstate but it's a two days work to find each minimum stable voltages. Also no GUI.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?285742-AmdMsrTweaker-New-Versions

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Disable AMD AMP (Advanced Power Management) within bios (It should be right after CoolAndQuit setings). However, these chips ar so friggin hot even at stock voltages! Also check the VRM heatsync... It should pretty much burn. If not, it's actually a bad thing!(there is no heat transfer and the mofs just not cooled properly) I replaced that crappy thermal pad with some ceramic based thermal paste and now it burn even with active cooling (from the second cpu cooler fan). Also set the cpu warning temp to 70 degreads because in Vishera case that's actually the socket temp and not the CPU itself. On my board, once it hits the chosen temp warning, it resets the voltages to stock wich will also drive temps instantly to 80 or more (my cooler s not that expensive). Anyway, it is a pain to overclock with a not so good cpu cooler....

EDIT: be smart and set HWInfo to shutdown your PC once it hits a critical temp. Hope it helps!

your board is not that bad compared with asrock "extreme horror stories 3" and even lowish end MSI..

extreme horror stories 3 http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157394

As you now know, I can't disable APM. Warning is at 70 anyway. VRM heatsink gets very hot, voltage is at 1.392v.

CPU runs quite cool as does the northbridge. Even at 4.6Ghz they stay below 55'C.

Also I have an Antec Spot Cool blowing over the VRM's and has made no difference.

If the speed, voltage and multiplyer only drop for a split second is that throttling or just some weird crap.

As you now know, I can't disable APM. Warning is at 70 anyway. VRM heatsink gets very hot, voltage is at 1.392v.

CPU runs quite cool as does the northbridge. Even at 4.6Ghz they stay below 55'C.

Also I have an Antec Spot Cool blowing over the VRM's and has made no difference.

If the speed, voltage and multiplyer only drop for a split second is that throttling or just some weird crap.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?14033-Amd-Fx-6100-And-Crosshair-IV-Extreme&s=14aae958761f3061b39864d08b07b271

so yeah, even ROG has the problem. 

AmdMsrTweaker is your solution

EDIT: IF you want to tweak pastates, reset cpu voltage in bios.

funny fact: you will re enable amp after seing how much more heat your FX gifts to you!

Sorry for my English....

@OP btw you should make sure you have the thermal safety/thermal control off in the BIOS. In the good old text UI BIOS it was under the PC health status page.

It should alleviate the problem and will only throttle when the VRM is hot.

Error: 410

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?14033-Amd-Fx-6100-And-Crosshair-IV-Extreme&s=14aae958761f3061b39864d08b07b271

so yeah, even ROG has the problem. 

AmdMsrTweaker is your solution

EDIT: IF you want to tweak pastates, reset cpu voltage in bios.

funny fact: you will re enable amp after seing how much more heat your FX gifts to you!

That would point to a software issue with AMD.

@OP btw you should make sure you have the thermal safety/thermal control off in the BIOS. In the good old text UI BIOS it was under the PC health status page.

It should alleviate the problem and will only throttle when the VRM is hot.

I will try that now. Thanks.

That would point to a software issue with AMD.

I will try that now. Thanks.

It still throttles on mine, but after I turned that off it stayed steady for a good 5-10 minutes or so under 100% synthetic.

It still throttles on mine, but after I turned that off it stayed steady for a good 5-10 minutes or so under 100% synthetic.

Mine stays ok folding for about 10 minutes then flashes to 1.4Ghz and back to 4.6Ghz.

Also I couldn't find the thermal safety/thermal control in the bios in the health status page. Do our boards have different bios's ?

probably, i have 1.1 rev BIOS, I hate the new BIOS ui's that the newer motherboard come with. It should be there somewhere.

You don't have all cores throttling at once do you? What mine does is cycle through modules or individual cores and drops them to like I think 2.7 or 1.4 every few seconds or so, so the majority of cores will alwyays be working at the proper clock whilr cycling the throttle to manage temperature.

Pretty neat way to keep temps down imo. The revisions after 1.1 have UEFI BIOS IIRC

probably, i have 1.1 rev BIOS, I hate the new BIOS ui's that the newer motherboard come with. It should be there somewhere.

You don't have all cores throttling at once do you? What mine does is cycle through modules or individual cores and drops them to like I think 2.7 or 1.4 every few seconds or so, so the majority of cores will alwyays be working at the proper clock whilr cycling the throttle to manage temperature.

Pretty neat way to keep temps down imo. The revisions after 1.1 have UEFI BIOS IIRC

I also have rev 1.1 of a very similar board. It's just weird having mouse in bios...

Sorry for my English....

All cores at once. Flicking between the two speeds.

Any way I can go backwards in my bios as I hate it.

Turn off Cool N Quiet and C1E as well.

Have you tried to use the Gigabyte utility and see if that is reporting throttling?

It could just be reporting wrong.

Use OCCT and see if it drops under load as well.

All cores at once. Flicking between the two speeds.

Any way I can go backwards in my bios as I hate it.

They're inherently different boards, depending on your board you may or may not be able to flash to an older BIOS.

it's worth checking to make sure you have the most up to date BIOS first, and that you have all power saving features off. 

Turn off Cool N Quiet and C1E as well.

Have you tried to use the Gigabyte utility and see if that is reporting throttling?

It could just be reporting wrong.

Use OCCT and see if it drops under load as well.

Yes all turned off.

Every utility reports the same. 

Yes all turned off.

Every utility reports the same. 

Curious if you have tried a different mobo. Doubt you have another to try but I wonder if that CPU is bad and needs to be RMA'd.

Usually when the power saving features kick in it will effect that entire module which is 2 cores. 

I've experienced this problem as well with my 3930K@4.6GHz that soaks dramatically more power than your CPU, the fix would be either having the top fan (preferably static pressure optimized & high rpm fan) blowing air into the case or turning vrm protection off in the bios but could lead to damaging the vrm.

Taken from your signature you have this cooler: http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Raijintek/Ereboss/images/ereboss_installed2_small.jpg which seems to be blocking air from the vrm so a cooler like a nh-u12s would be perfect and help to cool the vrm off. 

I am in the process of modifying my cooling to better serve the vrm's. 

The UD3 and Sabertooth are completely different boards in terms of quality. Of course people are going to say that.