Apple May Not Have 5G Phone Until 2021

It appears that Apple may have issues sourcing 5G modems and may not be able to bring a 5G phone to market in 2020, which could see them lose market share to those consumers wanting to stay current with the lastest technologies. 

According to this article on 9To5Mac a UBS analyst has stated that :

Apple is in deep legal disputes with the leading 5G modem manufacturer, Qualcomm. Apple moved away from Qualcomm modems starting with the iPhone 7 and the iPhone XS and iPhone XR series uses Intel modems exclusively.

In court proceedings earlier this year, Apple executives said that it would prefer to dual-source modems from both Qualcomm and Intel, but Qualcomm is refusing to supply Apple with chips as the legal battles continue. Therefore, without a settlement soon, sourcing a 5G chip from Qualcomm is off the table. Apple’s ongoing court cases also revealed that the company was exploring 5G options as early as 2016.

The obvious partner for Apple is Intel. However, Intel’s 5G modem roadmap is not bearing much fruit currently. Intel has said it aims to release 5G chipsets by the end of next year.

Also this article from GSMArena which quotes the above article plus this (Mandarin) article from Taiwan's Electronic Times as sources states:

Taiwan’s Electronic Times reports that both Qualcomm and Samsung have turned down the opportunity to supply 5G modems for Apple. Given the global patent war between Apple and Qualcomm, the San Diego company’s snub is not a huge surprise.

Samsung, however, reportedly gave another reason – not enough supply of its Exynos 51005G modem. Even if Samsung could boost production capacity, it will have leverage over Apple in the negotiations

Then there’s Huawei’s Balong 5000 modem. However, like the Kirin chipsets, Huawei is reluctant to sell its chips to other companies. UniSOC (which you may remember as Spreadtrum) is also working on a 5G modem (after parting ways with Intel), but it’s not clear how far along it is, so it’s not an option.

This could leave the door open for MediaTek, which has been angling to get the Helio M70modem into iPhones, going as far as accelerating the shipping schedule by six months.

UBS analyst Timothy Arcuri published a report earlier today that paints an even grimmer picture. He says that the MediaTek chip isn't up to Apple standards and claims that Samsung is an unlikely option as well.

Worse still, the report suggests that Intel's timeframe for its 5G modem will be too late for next year's iPhones. With Apple's once-a-year release schedule, this will push the first 5G-connected iPhone to late 2021.

Things could start to get grim for Apple. With ever inflating prices and flagging sales, could this be enough to push bleeding edge tech enthusiasts and non die-hard iPhone fans toward (slightly) more affordable 5G Android phones. And once those defectors have committed and put their money into the Android eco-system will Apple ever be able to win them back. It could be that Apple is left only with brand loyalists and those who are already in the iPhone eco-system and don't care about being up to date with the lastest technologies, which will surely be more than enough to ensure their survival, but will it be enough to keep the name iPhone as synonymous with flagship smartphone as it is today. 

5G is barely a thing right now. I dunno why people are trying to spell this as "the end" for Apple when hardly anyone has been able to adopt it yet.

Now, if Apple is having trouble sourcing 5G modems in a few years down the line, where adoption is a lot higher, THEN it'd make more sense.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

It's gonna take 5G until then to be accessible anyway, so who really cares? I have plenty of other reasons to not use iPhones to worry about something minor like this.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

22 minutes ago, BigBlueYeti said:

It appears that Apple may have issues sourcing 5G modems and may not be able to bring a 5G phone to market in 2020

BIG DEAL!!!

/s who cares about 5G

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

There are too many problematic factors with 5G:

1. Coverage is nonexistent and even the tests were done all around the world, there are still issues with releasing it for the masses. There always are
  2. Phones that support it are even more so nonexistent
  3. Even if phones existed, there is the usual issue of 1st gen modems

The only problem with this that I see is that when 2nd gen of 5G launches, Apple will have their first phone out, so they won't have the time to improve issues which they might have noticed if they had 5G ready phones with 1st gen 5G. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

25 minutes ago, BigBlueYeti said:

It appears that Apple may have issues sourcing 5G modems and may not be able to bring a 5G phone to market in 2020, which could see them lose market share to those consumers wanting to stay current with the lastest technologies. 

According to this article on 9To5Mac a UBS analyst has stated that :

Also this article from GSMArena which quotes the above article plus this (Mandarin) article from Taiwan's Electronic Times as sources states:

Things could start to get grim for Apple. With ever inflating prices and flagging sales, could this be enough to push bleeding edge tech enthusiasts and non die-hard iPhone fans toward (slightly) more affordable 5G Android phones. And once those defectors have committed and put their money into the Android eco-system will Apple ever be able to win them back. It could be that Apple is left only with brand loyalists and those who are already in the iPhone eco-system and don't care about being up to date with the lastest technologies, which will surely be more than enough to ensure their survival, but will it be enough to keep the name iPhone as synonymous with flagship smartphone as it is today. 

Apple will be successful for many years to come regardless of their product's quality or capabilities.

The only reason they are where they are now is due to clout.

Think about it, Wireless earphones were on the market long before AirPods were released by Apple, but even though Apple's version of them are more expensive, they have gotten a major portion of the wireless earphone market.

You can disagree, but that is my viewpoint on how Apple's company will act in years to come.

As someone who had a 4G phone as soon as the network "supported" one, who the fuck cares. Coverage will be abysmal and the technology will still be going through major growing pains.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

24 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

As someone who had a 4G phone as soon as the network "supported" one, who the fuck cares. Coverage will be abysmal and the technology will still be going through major growing pains.

To be fair, the approach for implementing 5G is one a more serious scale than 4G was, based on most info that I got from colleagues at Ericsson and the carrier that I work for (part of Deutsche Telekom). It will still be a year or two to get "real" 5G, same as 4G, but the coverage should be much better this time around. Not that that is an achievement to begin with. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, 79wjd said:

This year I'd agree. Yet when Sept 2020 rolls around coverage will be in most major metro areas. And you will have second generation modems from Qualcomm. Not having it for Holiday 2020 is going to be a considerable disadvantage.

5 minutes ago, Chett_Manly said:

This year I'd agree. Yet when Sept 2020 rolls around coverage will be in most major metro areas. And you will have second generation modems from Qualcomm. Not having it for Holiday 2020 is going to be a considerable disadvantage.

I wouldn't put so much faith in things coming together even in major metro areas. I live in NYC, and 4G was still abysmal for years.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

And in 2022, fanboys will claim that Apple were the first and basically created it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

If you think that Apple users care about the latest technology and performance - you haven’t been paying attention.

This won't be the first time though. 

When 4G LTE first came, Apple was still on HSPA+. By the time the iPhone 5 with LTE support came in, it was already ubiquitous. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

No need to rush things anyway, let all the new 5G phones stumble first.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

It's actually is important for 5g devices to get into the market as soon as possible.  The whole industry is a horse and cart conundrum,  no incentive to rapidly deploy a service with no consumer base and no consumer base can exist until devices are deployed on the service.

Whether we care about apple or not doesn't matter, you need a consumer uptake to drive the network upgrades.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

imagine using an iPhone

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC RAM: 32GB 3200mHz Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Display: Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" (2560p x 1440p) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK STORAGE: 120GB SSD boot drive, 10tb USB 3.0 Seagate game drive PSU: 650w Corsair CX CASE: NZXT H500i

9 hours ago, LanceG said:

Apple will be successful for many years to come regardless of their product's quality or capabilities.

The only reason they are where they are now is due to clout.

Think about it, Wireless earphones were on the market long before AirPods were released by Apple, but even though Apple's version of them are more expensive, they have gotten a major portion of the wireless earphone market.

You can disagree, but that is my viewpoint on how Apple's company will act in years to come.

Nice job ignoring what makes Airpods totally unique though. 

5 hours ago, floofer said:

If you think that Apple users care about the latest technology and performance - you haven’t been paying attention.

Well they might not but Apple certainly does as they maintain super high performing chips in their A series of chipsets.

Apple fanboys 2019: 5G is a gimmick

Apple fanboys 2021: Apple has done it again! revolutionary!!!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't buy an iPhone ever as I really don't like iOS, but I don't see the problem with this at all. Like others have said 5G while available this year in certain places, it is going to be 2020 at the earliest it starts to become properly ubituitous and should be decent coverage in many places by 2021. In the meantime, anyone starting to use 5G should take a little bit of pressure off 4G and might boost average speeds because of this anyway.

In current year (2019) 5G exists on 1 phone and you need an expansion mod to even get that working. Service is available in like 2 cities which aren’t even that big. 

In 2020 I imagine the amount of cities with 5G will slightly increase, but it will be far from widespread. 

By 2021 5G will have spread to the major cities like New York, LA, and San Francisco. Then and only then will a phone with a 5G modem be a selling point imo. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

15 hours ago, BigBlueYeti said:

However, Intel’s 5G modem roadmap is not bearing much fruit currently.

Naturally.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

In current year (2019) 5G exists on 1 phone and you need an expansion mod to even get that working. Service is available in like 2 cities which aren’t even that big. 

In 2020 I imagine the amount of cities with 5G will slightly increase, but it will be far from widespread. 

By 2021 5G will have spread to the major cities like New York, LA, and San Francisco. Then and only then will a phone with a 5G modem be a selling point imo. 

5G has been available in Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Canberra, Brisbane, Perth, towoomba and the goldcoast (187 sites) since last year.

We are waiting for phones to come out so we can use the system. 

https://www.telstra.com.au/aboutus/media/media-releases/Telstra_launches_first_5G_Melbourne_and_Sydney_sites

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.