Corsair Obsidian 250D Thread

This particularly interests me and I've been doing some research. The official spec says air coolers up to 95mm high. But the case actually gives you 150mm or so from motherboard to roof panel. But what I forgot to account for was that if you have a DVD drive in the 5.25" bay it may block some coolers depending on how much they go over the memory slots or motherboard edge itself. That's where the 95mm spec is important.

What I'm looking at are coolers that won't interfere with an optical drive or the RAM slots. There are a couple existing Noctua ones that I like, including two future prototype models featuring a nice 95x95mm footprint for 100% motherboard compatibility.

Hmm, very interesting. Especially because people aren't using optical drives as much anymore. I would think maybe something like a Noctua NH-C12P.

Hmm, very interesting. Especially because people aren't using optical drives as much anymore. I would think maybe something like a Noctua NH-C12P.

Here's a Google Docs spreadsheet I've been working on for several case based builds. Look at my 250D tab. My favorite existing Noctua cooler is the NH-U9B SE2 (71x95x125mm) w/2x NF-B9 92x92x25mm Fans. I'm trying to decide what orientation would work best for case air flow. If I have the fans front to back, one covers the inside RAM slot so I'd have to use memory with low profile heat spreaders, and I have to see if it clears a DVD drive installed. I could turn it sideways since it's 95mm wide and it wouldn't block anything except maybe the Asus Maximus VI Impact's VRM riser. I'm trying to get a solid number for the height off the motherboard plus the SFX audio riser card. I also like the Noctua NH-C12P SE14 (152x126x114mm) w/NF-P14 140x140x25mm Fan but because it's 114mm high it will have to mount sideways and I'm worried if the heat pipes will hit the VRM module. Noctua is known for having some of the best and quietest fans by the way.

I really hope those Computex 2013 prototype coolers come out soon because I'd be using either of them in an instant. Now you could use the Noctua NH-L9i (95x95x37mm) w/NF-A9x14 PWM 92mm Fan for 100% compatibility but you have to watch your processor isn't greater than 65W. They make an NH-L9a AMD version too. In my case the i7-4770K is 84W so that's a no-go for me and I want to overclock some as well. 

As far as that optical drive bay, it is removable at least. One could go with an external optical drive as a workaround but I like everything self-contained.

I think a cool mod would be to replace that nice removable brushed aluminum panel and replace it with an interesting custom grill design panel, especially if you use an LED intake fan. I've seen one person do this to his Obsidian 350D and it looked killer.

900D-->750D-->350D-->250D-->150D..

150D coming soon

The super micro D

Quote me to get a reply!

The super micro D

and then the 50D, THE ULITMATE MINIm oh its already exists..

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

ITX is whatever the manufacters want it to be. Some guys want to make a super small box, some rather give you options for watercooling. If you don't like this case. Then don't buy it.

Here you go, your slim "tower" http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/Y2gVFNMNXBwatQfe.medium

They are out there, but it's still hard to find them. EVGA Hadron is a very small case as well. 

1342392031fap-l.png

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

Can you use non blower design Graphic cards in there?

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

The entire GPU side is vented and filtered, so yes. though a non-reference card may have clearance issues. But I think it should be fine as long as the card isn't wider than 6 inches.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

The ASUS 780 DirectCU will fit. Check TastyPC video :)

She fitted a MARS 760 not a 780.

Asus Rampage IV Formula | i7 3820@4.3GHz | Asus GTX670 SLI | 16GB Kingston HyperX Black The Gathering edt. | H100 | 120GB Intel 330 | 240GB Intel 530 | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 4TB | CM Storm Stryker | Corsair CX750M

Yes you can, the side panel has a nice open mesh for fresh air. This is more then enough to get cool air into the card. GPUs draw air into them, so having the window with nice big mesh there (and a filter) is plenty to cool them. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

She fitted a MARS 760 not a 780.

At 6:28 she has a 780 Ti DirectCU II

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

At 6:28 she has a 780 Ti DirectCU II

My fault, sorry

Asus Rampage IV Formula | i7 3820@4.3GHz | Asus GTX670 SLI | 16GB Kingston HyperX Black The Gathering edt. | H100 | 120GB Intel 330 | 240GB Intel 530 | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 4TB | CM Storm Stryker | Corsair CX750M

In terms of what is available in the Mini ITX form factor, how does this case stack up? Is it one of the better ones or are there better solutions? I know very little about this form factor. 

The Aquila (link)

That is a nice case! I was looking around and some place in Europe has it listed for 69.99 Euros, I hope Linus reviews it or does an unboxing.

BG_02.jpg

I posted this in the Corsair support forum. I hope someone there or here with firsthand knowledge replies:

Obsidian 250D GPU Compatibility

I know about the length limit but there is talk that video cards like the Nvidia GTX 780 and 780Ti won't fit in this case? I can understand if a taller card like the 780 Classified won't fit but basic reference models of the 780 series? I'm thinking about a case that can use the popular EVGA GTX 780Ti either the reference fan version or ACX cooler version. If they don't fit inside the Corsair Obsidian 250D then it's a show stopper for me.

Do you consider the bending of the mainboard critical?

I posted this in the Corsair support forum. I hope someone there or here with firsthand knowledge replies:

Obsidian 250D GPU Compatibility

I know about the length limit but there is talk that video cards like the Nvidia GTX 780 and 780Ti won't fit in this case? I can understand if a taller card like the 780 Classified won't fit but basic reference models of the 780 series? I'm thinking about a case that can use the popular EVGA GTX 780Ti either the reference fan version or ACX cooler version. If they don't fit inside the Corsair Obsidian 250D then it's a show stopper for me.

If you follow

you will get to an in-depth review of Tom Logan. I think somewhere in the middle he mentions GPU compability.

Reduce > Reuse > Recycle

Build-log (way out of date)

I'll re-watch it at home later since it's a half hour long and I'm on lunch break at work. I remember him casting some doubts but I'll listen again very carefully. As far as board bending I'll look into that. On tower computers with vertical motherboards I notice long video cards drooping as well. I don't know which is worse. But on Linus' video he fits a Titan in there so I'll compare size between that and the 780Ti.

What's going on here?:

gpulenght.jpg

Caption: The Corsair 250D supports graphics cards up to 300mm in length.

Digital Storm's video shows him generally fitting this card. What about it wouldn't make it fit? There are to exposed heat pipes sticking out.

Here are EVGA's size specs for their GTX 780Ti reference cooler and ACX cooler versions. They are the same for both: 267mm (L) x 111mm (H)

780Ti_REF_image_650x313.png 

780Ti_ACX__image_650x313.png 

900x900px-LL-884567f5_250D_BUILT_side_le

This is a large photo from a Chinese review that shows 2 things: The EVGA GTX 780 Reference (above) and GTX 780Ti w/ACX Cooling (below) does fit and boy that is some motherboard bowing! What's going on, is the PCI-e slot card screw down location too low? Are the motherboard standoffs too tall on this prototype case?

corsair_250d_23.jpg

This is a large photo from a Chinese review that shows 2 things: The EVGA GTX 780Ti w/ACX Cooling does fit and boy that is some motherboard bowing! What's going on, is the PCI-e slot card screw down location too low?

corsair_250d_23.jpg

I'll re-watch it at home later since it's a half hour long and I'm on lunch break at work. I remember him casting some doubts but I'll listen again very carefully. As far as board bending I'll look into that. On tower computers with vertical motherboards I notice long video cards drooping as well. I don't know which is worse. But on Linus' video he fits a Titan in there so I'll compare size between that and the 780Ti.

What's going on here?:

gpulenght.jpg

Caption: The Corsair 250D supports graphics cards up to 300mm in length.

Digital Storm's video shows him generally fitting this card. What about it wouldn't make it fit? There are no exposed heat pipes sticking out.

Here are EVGA's size specs for their GTX 780Ti reference cooler and ACX cooler versions. They are the same for both: 267mm (L) x 111mm (H)

780Ti_REF_image_650x313.png

780Ti_ACX__image_650x313.png

Yes, that is my guess, too. However, I wouldn't be bothered too much and just put washers between the PCI bracket of the card and the case to lift the bedstop up the required 2mm.

Also, I wouldn't rely to heavily onto the manufacturers specifications for hardware. In this case your choice of graphics card obviously works.

Reduce > Reuse > Recycle

Yes, that is my guess, too. However, I wouldn't be bothered too much and just put washers between the PCI bracket of the card and the case to lift the bedstop up the required 2mm.

Also, I wouldn't rely to heavily onto the manufacturers specifications for hardware. In this case your choice of graphics card obviously works.

Great idea for a workaround if the production cases don't have this problem fixed! Thanks. I bet the higher EVGA GTX 780 Ti Classified version fits in the case too. I think it's an inch higher. Looks like a lot of headroom for a GPU though.

780Ti_Classified_650x313.png

Great idea for a workaround if the production cases don't have this problem fixed! Thanks. I bet the higher EVGA GTX 780 Ti Classified version fits in the case too. I think it's an inch higher. Looks like a lot of headroom for a GPU though.

780Ti_Classified_650x313.png

You are welcome, but I think this card might be too wide and touch the support in the top. It will also exhaust >250W of heat towards the top and bottom at full load and because of that could even melt the plastic window in the top of the case. I do not recommend pairing up this card with this case. That is, if you are going to use the air cooler.

Reduce > Reuse > Recycle

Yeah I wasn't planning on the Classified. That example was an exaggeration. I'm happy with the 780Ti and at $700 that's enough money. Just gotta decide on the reference blower vs ACX cooler version by EVGA. I'm adding their protective backplate too so the solder side looks a little better to the eye and it should only add a few mm thickness. It should also act as a heatsink too for a couple degrees cooler.

Yeah I wasn't planning on the Classified. That example was an exaggeration. I'm happy with the 780Ti and at $700 that's enough money. Just gotta decide on the reference blower vs ACX cooler version by EVGA. I'm adding their protective backplate too so the solder side looks a little better to the eye and it should only add a few mm thickness. It should also act as a heatsink too for a couple degrees cooler.

It will look great.

But I would like to clarify that in most cases a backplate is neither cooling the PCB, nor any of the components.

If it makes thermal contact with components, it can act as additional cooling for those components and help spreading the heat over the PCB more evenly, but doesn't lower the overall temperature. (Direct airflow carries the heat away from the card more effectively.)

Where you getting one just for cooling, I wouldn't suggest you to buy it.

Reduce > Reuse > Recycle

Does anyone know what model that corsair cpu cooler is? It looked fantastic.

Found out it's the H100i

Does anyone know what model that corsair cpu cooler is? It looked fantastic.

Found out it's the H100i

If you are asking for the one in the video, it is Corsair's H100i.

Edit: Sorry, I am dumb.

Reduce > Reuse > Recycle