Corsair Obsidian 250D Thread

If/when I decide to build an MITX system, this is definitely the case I will be going with. Super sexy if you ask me.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White Windowed | Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe/Dual | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2133 Mhz | GPU: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB | PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W 80 Plus Gold | Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO Mouse | Headset: SteelSeries Siberia V2 | Monitor: 3x Dell P2414H

Hey Linus,

This is a great review and an amazing case. Is it possible if you can make a build guide using this case - powerful gaming PC under $1500 kinda thing.

Please reply.

Thanks.

I love mini ITX cases, I have a CoolerMaster Elite 120 Advanced. I starting to thinking about changing my case and  the Corsair Obsidian 250D could be an option.  Any suggestions?

I have one as well and I love it! The only advantages that the 250D would bring in my eyes would be easier cable management and space for a radiator, other than that I don't see the need to upgrade.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i3 3220 |     Mobo:     Asus  P8H77i |    RAM:    Non-bra nded (yeah i know) 8GB DDR3 |    GPU:    Palit GTX 660 ti |     Case:    Cooler Master Elite 1 20 |   Storage:   Cruc ial M4 64GB SSD/500GB HDD |   PSU:   OCZ CoreXtreme 500W |  Display:  Samsung SA550   |  Cooling:  Cooler Master Vor tex 211Q | Keyboard: CM Storm Q uickfire TK (Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G602/Steelseries QcK Mass

Thing you didn't say, TTL did, is that you need to watch for graphic card width. Some big graphic cards cant fit inside. Like DC2T that has huge pipe that sticks out.

I think you misunderstood me. I meant the 250D is to small for me and i'd probably go for a H440 or a 350D

Oh,, excuse me then :)

Sorry for my bad English!
i5-4590 | Sabertooth Z97 mk2 | Intel HD 4600 | ADATA XPG V1 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9 | Intel 530 120GB | Cooler Master N600 | Seasonic G-450 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 | Win8.1 Pro x64

I find this too expensive. Linus, could you please tell me how to go with a really cheap home computer?

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

I'm really loving the fact that case manufacturer's are starting to pay attention to the smaller form factors more, I'm especially loving that corsair kept with that great design they've got going on.

Mini-ITX is really taking off and I love it. The Bitfenix Prodigy opened people's eyes to how small form factor does not mean crappy machine anymore. My next build is definitely going to be mini.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I have a 900d and i'll most likely get this case and do a build in it in the summer or autumn for when i'm on work placement for a year.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I just brought a Fractal Node 304 about 3 weeks ago... I want one of these now. :(

Gaming System: i7 3770k @4.6GHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, 8GB Corsair 1600MHz, 2 x MSI GTX 670 PE, Fractal R4, 256GB Crucial M4, Fractal Newton R3 1000W White

Steam Box: Xeon E3 1280 @ 3.5GHz, Intel S1200KP, 8GB Corsair White LP, 1x EVGA GTX 570, Fractal Node 304 White, 64GB Intel SSD, Fractal Tesla R2 650w White

Y U no review H440??

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

Really like the look of this case, makes me want to sell my maxt motherboard and buy an mitx one.

3770K | GTX970 | 16GB DDR3 | Corsair RM750

would have thought a slimline drive bay might have been better. would give more room for other stuff

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

I like it but I'm worried that it's not tall enough to water cool the gpu.  And hot swaps like on the 800D would of been sweet, not a big deal but definitely added value.

would have thought a slimline drive bay might have been better. would give more room for other stuff

Gotta disagree 5.25" are so much easier and cheaper to come by.

Want to build one of these for a lan rig i have a 900D and a prodigy right now but think of selling the prodigy to get this only thing is with the way the cable management is in this case it doesnt look like you would be able to do a custom CPU and GPU loop like you can in the Prodigy. Challenge for Linus make a custom cpu and gpu loop using a tube rez in this case :)

| Corsair 900D | i7-4770K | ASUS Maximus VI Formula | SLI ASUS Geforce GTX780 | EK & Alphacool WaterCooling | 

| Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 32GB | | Two Corsair Neutron GTX Series 240GB SSD | Corsair AX1200i |

| Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Two Seagate Barracuda 4TB  | Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit |http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/189392-corsair-900d-sli-watercooled-refresh-and-new-setup/#entry2550514

Corsair.... I love your cases.. But I feel this was due to be out awhile ago... Now i wanna sell my 350D, and get one these...

Im glad ITX is becoming more popular with motherboard and case manufacturers, its about bloody time. Im just not a fan of these cub cases. They look ugly and just plain odd to me. Id much prefer a itx case with the gpu parallel to the motherboard and have it all contained in a slim tower. In my opinion it looks much sleeker and it can be easily mounted behind your monitor if you prefer.

Still, it seems like a well built case (to be expected from an obsidian series case). 

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

Did you actually keep the build like that or did you disassemble it?

Did you actually keep the build like that or did you disassemble it?

It's already taken apart :P

We'll use those parts again to do a test build.

It's already taken apart :P

We'll use those parts again to do a test build.

how much clearance was there for air coolers?

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

It still suffers from the same inherent design flaw that the rest of the x50-series obsidian cases have - the front air intake is way too restrictive for that fan to be effective!

Linus, do you think Corsair will go smaller with their Obsidian series *cough*Like a 150D or something *cough* or do you think this is it. Although do you think they could start doing V2's of the Obsidian series, like Corsair 900D V2, 700D V2, 350D V2, and 250D V2?

You should put in an annotation or something to mention that graphics cards with coolers that are taller than the height of a standard PCB will not fit. The heat pipe of a DCUII 780/780Ti/290/290X will hit the roof of the case and you can't get the panel on. 

Also Linus if you have your H100i with the hoses on the other sides it's easier to route. 

Bigger coolers will fit, but taller PCBs AND tall heatpipes won't fit. Good point.

As for the H100i in my config I wasn't comfortable routing the tubes around the power PCB on the motherboard I was using.

Hey Linus,

This is a great review and an amazing case. Is it possible if you can make a build guide using this case - powerful gaming PC under $1500 kinda thing.

Please reply.

Thanks.

No plans at this time for a build guide using this case. I would suggest you check out the new builds section of the forum where folks can help you configure a rig with that budget in this case :)

I find this too expensive. Linus, could you please tell me how to go with a really cheap home computer?

Check out the new builds section of the forum.

I just brought a Fractal Node 304 about 3 weeks ago... I want one of these now. :(

Y U no review H440??

It just arrived this morning.

Want to build one of these for a lan rig i have a 900D and a prodigy right now but think of selling the prodigy to get this only thing is with the way the cable management is in this case it doesnt look like you would be able to do a custom CPU and GPU loop like you can in the Prodigy. Challenge for Linus make a custom cpu and gpu loop using a tube rez in this case :)

It can be done, but I don't know if you'd fit a tube res anywhere without some serious creativity.

This is my case of choice to build my next PC with at the moment. Everyone does liquid cooling but I want to do an air cooled system to be different and a bit safe at the same time. Great review as always Linus!

BTW, in a Japanese web review they measured the inside of the case from motherboard to roof frame was around 150mm.

I'm planning on using one of the Noctua CPU air coolers. I'm actually hoping for them to release the prototype 95x95x65mm cooler or 95x95 twin tower 92mm fan cooler they had at Computex 2013. They are both small footprint 100% non-blocking like their NH-L9i but more vertical. It was supposed to be Q1 2014 but they wrote back to me that they are delayed, to maybe later this year. Otherwise, I like the NH-U9B SE2 but hoping for the new coolers, so I might delay my build until then. I posted about them in the Air Cooling topic forum. I also want the Asus Maximus VI Impact motherboard too. I need to know the height of the VRM and SFX risers to check for clearances.