WiFi issue that is killing me for months even years.

AntiSocialKreature

So basically what's happening is that a year ago our isp came and changed our modem to one that has wifi function and has 5GHZ wifi networking.From the very first day when I tried to set it up so I can connect to it from my pc with my TP LINK AC600 T2U wifi dongle I had one single problem that persists through every windows uninstall,through every factory reset(of the modem I mean)no matter what I do I have this issue.Now I have been able to use various solutions to make it work so I can connect such as allowing my pc in the modem's settings to be able to connect to it and it worked most of the time.Two days ago when I came back from the shower at night I realized that I am connect to my 2.4 GHZ wifi instead of the 5GHZ wifi that I always use,it must have disconnected and connect to 2.4 because before I went to the shower I was connect to 5GHZ.Now the issue is that whenever I try to connect to the 5ghz wifi my adapter disables and enables itself back and tells me: Can't connect to this network.

I have been trying to solve this issue on my own since the very beginning but I have not managed to find any permanent solution.And I would much rather use 5GHz since on that one I can go up to 20 or 30 mb/s download and its pretty much way better from every single point of view.

Please help.

Can you check the wifi dongle on another computer? Else maybe that has the issue?
Can you get another one, or try?

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Have you tried another dongle?

PC - i7 12700K | EVGA FTW3 3090 | Corsair H150i | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A | 32GB Corsair Vengance | Lian Li O11 Evo & EVGA 1k PSU

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

No I can't,but there is no reason that it should be dying,since I can connect to 2.4 pretty easily and it works just as good as it worked the first day I started using this wifi dongle.This consists only on the 5GHZ connection and I have pretty much ran out of solutions.

If you guys are familiar with the UPC Connect Box.

Just now, AntiSocialKreature said:

No I can't,but there is no reason that it should be dying,since I can connect to 2.4 pretty easily and it works just as good as it worked the first day I started using this wifi dongle.This consists only on the 5GHZ connection and I have pretty much ran out of solutions.

Thats why we recommended another dongle. Since no other solutions. ;)
But yes those devices can stop working after time, there is ABSOLUTLY no reason that if it worked before that it would keep working.

But yes it can easily be that the 5Ghz part is somewhat broken and the 2,4 Ghz still works ok.
And the downside with networking is there are so many variables...

Thus the only way to be sure is to check it on/with other hardware. :)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

So rip..But then why did I have this issue when we got our modem changed,at that time the dongle was not even 2 or 3 months old.Also that is the only cheap one I found that can work on my 500mb connection and as a broke ass high schooler there is not much I can do.

I am not willing to give up,i should be able to fix it somehow.

The router is "steering" you to 2.4ghz when it detects a poor connection (since 2.4ghz is better at distance). A poor 5ghz connection will be slower than 2.4ghz with a moderate signal. You could just disable the 2.4ghz band on your router...

Or if you're using windows, go into device manager, find your wireless dongle - double click it - go to advanced, usually there if you look through it there will be a way to disable 2.4ghz on the dongle.

image.png.16d319d753b6397a977de8f11b61277a.png

Ah I tried that my friend.I tried going on 5Ghz only on adapter and as it said,only 5ghz connections were detected,but I still didn't manage to connect and the 2.4 connection that I am using is on another TP-Link old router I am not using the 2.4 Ghz connection of the UPC Connect Box modem.And if I disable 2.4 I won't be able to use the internet literally.

Untitled.png

3 minutes ago, AntiSocialKreature said:

Ah I tried that my friend.I tried going on 5Ghz only on adapter and as it said,only 5ghz connections were detected,but I still didn't manage to connect and the 2.4 connection that I am using is on another TP-Link old router I am not using the 2.4 Ghz connection of the UPC Connect Box modem.And if I disable 2.4 I won't be able to use the internet literally.

Then how do you know 5ghz is better for your situation? If you're close enough to get full speeds then run a cable, if you're too far then 5ghz wouldn't help anyway.

When you try to connect to the 5ghz network, what errors do you get?

Thing is that my pc is in another room and I would have to dril a hole into the wall to get the cable here and get a longer cable too.I know that on 5Ghz im way better because discord does not go to 500 ping constantly,i get as I said 20-30mb/s down speed while on 2.4 I can barely crack 2mb/s and youtube video experience is choppy af.I know exactly why I want to be on 5ghz no matter what.

That well I don't really get any error beside that when I type my password in it stays 10 seconds on Checking network requirements then that disappears and a few seconds after that my adapter literally turns off and then back on and gives me the message: Can't connect to this network or Unable to connect to this network.

The first thing also I have a pretty old pc(I can still get around fine with a little oc) and my cable speed is 500mbits and my pc can go only to 100mb

Thing is that my pc is in another room and I would have to dril a hole into the wall to get the cable here and get a longer cable too.I know that on 5Ghz im way better because discord does not go to 500 ping constantly,i get as I said 20-30mb/s down speed while on 2.4 I can barely crack 2mb/s and youtube video experience is choppy af.I know exactly why I want to be on 5ghz no matter what

I'm confused, because you just said you cannot connect to 5ghz but now you say you're getting 20-30mbyte/s down on 5ghz?

1 minute ago, Mikensan said:

I'm confused, because you just said you cannot connect to 5ghz but now you say you're getting 20-30mbyte/s down on 5ghz?

that is my experience from when It still worked.

I just compared the speeds I get when I am able to use 5ghz and the speeds I get on 2.4ghz,this is why I wanna be on 5ghz no matter what,and when it works signal is way better on 5ghz than 2.4ghz

that is my experience from when It still worked.

That was with the original wifi router?

Are you able to log into your wifi router and adjust the channel bandwidth (HT20/HT40/VHT80)? I would knock it down to HT20, see what happens.

No,afaik no router I ever owned had dual band,i managed to get 5ghz wifi after upc came and changed our modem that can act as a router too.As I said for 2.4 I don't use the upc modem connection but I use the old 2.4 ghz router I had from way way before we got our modem changed.I am sorry if am not very clear,i am very tired since I have been sleeping less these nights to try to fix this garbage thing.But the thing is that I have had this connection issue from day one when I got around to changing the ssid so I can connect to it,since by default they have the same name and I have been able to use various solutions to use the 5ghz connection but now nothing works anymore.

13 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Are you able to log into your wifi router and adjust the channel bandwidth (HT20/HT40/VHT80)? I would knock it down to HT20, see what happens.

i'll do that,i'll change it to 20mhz,that said all channels I can switch to are 20mhz even though I have it set up to be able to use 20/40 and 80 mhz

Also I don't know if its worth saying that I have picked a channel manualy since on auto it goes every single time on DFS channels and there is no setting to prevent that 

Nope,nothing happened,but I might be able to get some video footage for you to see exactly what happens.Actually I can't...

But what happens is the same as turning off the wifi in windows 10 and turning it back on.

7 hours ago, AntiSocialKreature said:

No,afaik no router I ever owned had dual band,i managed to get 5ghz wifi after upc came and changed our modem that can act as a router too.As I said for 2.4 I don't use the upc modem connection but I use the old 2.4 ghz router I had from way way before we got our modem changed.I am sorry if am not very clear,i am very tired since I have been sleeping less these nights to try to fix this garbage thing.But the thing is that I have had this connection issue from day one when I got around to changing the ssid so I can connect to it,since by default they have the same name and I have been able to use various solutions to use the 5ghz connection but now nothing works anymore.

Can you clarify what you mean here as I'm confused.  Dual-band just means it supports 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, I'm not aware of ANY router/Access Point that only supports one band at a time as that would make zero sense.  Its only clients/dongles that tend to be limited to one band at a time.

Now your router might have been locked to a single SSID for both bands, but that's a different thing entirely.

So what router exactly are you trying to connect to at 5Ghz?  The new one or the old one?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Okay, I think I know what your problem is. When you have a chance use wifi on full cap then touch your dongle. If it is hot that is the source of your problem. I been searching for dongle for months and wasted so much money to figure solution to these types of problem. The only solution is to use pcie wifi adapter instead of a dongle. (But only if you have a heat problem) If you keep having problem just use pcie wifi adapter instead of a dongle.

Nope confirmed it now when I came back from school,it's not because of the heat.I am trying to connect to the new one since it has 5ghz wifi,the other one is a few years old and have been using it whenever I had an issue such as this one,usually I use the old one only for phone wifi.I can confirm that its not locked to a single ssid for both bands since I have changed it so I can distinguish the 2.4ghz band from the 5ghz one.

Currently I cannot in any way shape or form to connect to the 5ghz wifi connection of the new router.Right now im really starting to think that the issue is on my side,not the router.

Edit: I tested my adapter on a laptop and it displays the same behavior 

TL;DR to this entire mess is that there is this 5ghz wifi that I want to connect to but I can't and everytime I try my wifi adapter disables and enables itself back up,as said above this behavior happens when I use the adapter on my dad's laptop.