Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aj0312

Switching Motherboard After Short

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi,

I am switching from an ASUS Z170-A board to an ASUS PRIME B250M-K after a short caused the board to stop working. What is the likelihood that I will be able to just switch over the components without having driver issues and having to reinstall W10? Are there any steps I can take to make this more likely? Bear in mind I can not boot up the current board to modify any drives.

If somehow it works fine, should I back up all the data I need and reinstall W10 anyway? to avoid issues later?

SPECS

mobo: ASUS Z170-A ------> ASUS PRIME B250M-K

processor: i7-6700k

RAM: Corsair vengeance 2666mhz 16GB (2x8GB)

Graphics: AMD RX470 4GB

PSU: 450W 

Drive: Samsung 950 Pro M.2

Thanks for any replies,

I went from a asrock z370 k6 to a asrock h370 performance after the k6 blew up. All i had to do was install a network driver. I did have a few registry issues, but i ran ccleaners registry cleaner thing which all of them. And if you have another PC you wont have to backup windows because if it doesn't work, you can put the os drive into the other computer and get the data off of it like that. If you don't have another PC back the important stuff to google drive, usb or something. Still on the same windows install that i was on with the K6 btw.

PC: CPU - 8700K 4.8ghz 1.165V  |  GPU - 5700XT 2100mhz 1.145V target  |  Motherboard - Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | RAM - Ballistix sport LT 3200mhz red @ 3600mhz 15-19-19-34 2T 1.41V  |  Cooler - nh-d15  |  SSD - 960 evo 250GB, mx300 750GB, mx500 500GB  |  PSU - 750W G2  |   Case - Cooler Master MasterBox 5

There won't be any real issues.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Great, thanks for the replies. I'll run ccleaner if I can boot (hopefully)!

Unfortunately I don't have another PC with an M.2 drive spare, so if I run into problems I think I may have too lose the data.