Why is Epic hated/disliked by some? (noob question)

Rakanoth

I am sort of ignorant about the discussion surrounding "Epic". As far as I know it's a platform like Steam, Uplay or Origin.

I see lots of negative comments about it. But I can't find any explanation in people's comments why people react negatively to Epic. I am sure there is a good reason.

Could you please explain why? A short and simple summary would suffice. :)

Mostly because Epic is making exclusivity deals taking games from all the other launchers and pissing off people who wants to continue with Steam to decrease the amount of launchers installed in their system or GOG so they don't have launchers at all.

Epic also is as shady as it gets about costumer's support and privacy policy and so on... all in all it's nothing too outstanding.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

The rumor is that sometimes Epic pays developers to put games exclusively on their platforms, versus allowing the game to be on steam/epic.
Another issue people have is that Epic has ties back to China as Tencent the owner of Epic is 40% owned by the Chinese Government.
People dont want another game launcher as well.

4 minutes ago, Rakanoth said:

I am sort of ignorant about the discussion surrounding "Epic". As far as I know it's a platform like Steam, Uplay or Origin.

I see lots of negative comments about it. But I can't find any explanation in people's comments why people react negatively to Epic. I am sure there is a good reason.

Read the thread fully that prompted your question.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Because Epic makes exclusive deals, is mostly owned by the Chinese government and this:

IMG_20190402_122105.jpg

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

It bluescreened my PC once so...

Also, if you have a game downloaded already but have to reinstall the launcher, you cannot identify preexisting titles. You have to redownload any game again if you reinstall the epic launcher.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1. Laziness to have/use another platform
  2. Racism against companies partially owned by chinese companies
    1. this includes claims that somehow a non-majority stakeholder can exercise the power to get the company to send personal information of users to their government. which is not true
  3. fortnite hate translating over to the company as a whole
  4. steam fanboyism
  5. concerns about lack of features
  6. concerns about the seeming lack of care about privacy (automatically looks at your steam files when you install it
  7. them explicitly making exclusivity deals apparently makes people mad. in the end your devs agreed, so i don't get this one. but sure, be mad at the store if you want. good for you

probably missed more, but here are some of em

Edited by tarfeef101
added stuffs

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

It's mainly because of the company behind Epic (I believe the Chinese company 'Tencent' owns like 40% of Epic and Tencent is also the creator of that scary social hierarchy software in China) and it also has to do with the somewhat scary stuff found in their EULA.

There has also been evidence of the EGS 'spying' on people's PC, snooping in files it shouldn't (like the Steam friend's list - which Valve has said programs should not look at unless given permission by you yourself).

Somewhere in their EULA they also mention something about being allowed to transfer your personal details to authorities in any country they (Epic) is active in.

One part of their privacy policy which irks me the most:

As part of our international operations, we may transfer information about you to any jurisdiction where we do business.  When you use our websites, games, game engines, or applications, you acknowledge that we may transfer information about you as described in this policy.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I can understand why people are getting annoyed. I personally am a Steam user however Steam kinda was starting to become too powerful with the amount of say they had when it came to money. They kinda were becoming what Amazon is but only with downloadable content.

I think the one ironic thing about this whole situation is the outcry about Epic being owned by a Chinese company with ties to the Chinese Government, but you rarely see any kind of fuss about ZTE or Huawei products

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

14 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:
  1. Laziness to have/use another platform
  2. Racism against companies partially owned by chinese companies
    1. this includes claims that somehow a non-majority stakeholder can exercise the power to get the company to send personal information of users to their government. which is not true
  3. fortnite hate translating over to the company as a whole
  4. steam fanboyism
  5. concerns about lack of features
  6. concerns about the seeming lack of care about privacy (automatically looks at your steam files when you install it
  7. them explicitly making exclusivity deals apparently makes people mad. in the end your devs agreed, so i don't get this one. but sure, be mad at the store if you want. good for you

probably missed more, but here are some of em

I am way more concerned about account security. The amount of people who have had their accounts hacked is kinda ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

I think the one ironic thing about this whole situation is the outcry about Epic being owned by a Chinese company with ties to the Chinese Government, but you rarely see any kind of fuss about ZTE or Huawei products

I don't know where you've been getting your news but Huawei has been getting a lot of flack for its close ties with the Chinese government.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

4 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

That's not even true. I have heard plenty of people complain about Huawei 

7 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Well, to be fair Huawei is getting rekt by a lot of countries because of that.

But I agree, this chinese government angle is flimsy at best IMO. It looks like a cherry picked privacy issue to me.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

30 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I am way more concerned about account security. The amount of people who have had their accounts hacked is kinda ridiculous.

is that because of the fortnite demographic maybe not being the most security minded though, or just crappy security and epic's servers or in-transit information being compromised?

because one is a cause for educating users, the other is a serious issue

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

45 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:
  • Racism against companies partially owned by chinese companies

Racism would be wrong term. Chinese is not race, nor is any company race. You are talking about discrimination based on ownership by certain nationality.

45 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:
  • steam fanboyism

Consider how bad Steam is and how much Gabe Newell is both unprofessional and fankly stupid, that sure is a thing.

Also, there was already thread about this:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1050013-poll-why-are-people-bothered-by-the-epic-games-store/

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

Racism would be wrong term. Chinese is not race, nor is any company race. You are talking about discrimination based on ownership by certain nationality.

Consider how bad Steam is and how much Gabe Newell is both unprofessional and fankly stupid, that sure is a thing.

Also, there was already thread about this:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1050013-poll-why-are-people-bothered-by-the-epic-games-store/

forgive me if i frankly don't give a crap about being politically correct to a T about everything. anyone with half a brain understood what I meant (yourself included). and I saved a lot of time. does it really matter? no

Not sure if you were agreeing or not about the fanboyism thing considering you presented arguments about how bad steam is, but also said "that sure is a thing", and even if you wanted to be sarcastic, that's not how most people trying to convey sarcasm would phrase it. I'll just say there are definitely fanboys of things, even bad products. so there's that. 

1 hour ago, Rakanoth said:

I don't trust them because they are owned by Tencent, which not only has close ties to the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) but also how it plays a critical role in the setup and maintenance of the Sesame credit system, it's maintenance of the "Great Firewall of China"  and other surveillance software that is used to increase the power and influence of the CCP. Honestly I want nothing to do with them.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

13 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

forgive me if i frankly don't give a crap about being politically correct to a T about everything. anyone with half a brain understood what I meant (yourself included). and I saved a lot of time. does it really matter? no

Its not about being politically anything. Its about using correct terminology and not being ass about it. We have enough people calling things racist that aren't related to race. Or calling things legal/illegal that aren't based on any law. Just don't be one of those people.

(I wasn't being sarcastic about Steam. I've been using Steam long enough to remember where it came from.)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, ThePD said:

The rumor is that sometimes Epic pays developers to put games exclusively on their platforms, versus allowing the game to be on steam/epic.

It's not a rumor at all, it is absolutely a thing, multiple developers have stating this as being the exact reason for going to the epic store.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Because Epic Games shows no consideration for the consumer, demonstrates a poor and contradicted-by-law position on software ownership, is hypocritical in their attacks against Microsoft for trying to create a walled garden with UWP, is a bully and is trying to make itself popular by underhanded force and not quality of service, because Tim Sweeney is a conniving con-man, because Epic Games are being anti-competitive, and because Epic Games' Fortnite wealth by which EGS is purchasing exclusives is largely a result of circumstantial happenstance, trend-following, and lifting from an Unreal Engine 4 licenser.

Scummy practices all around, not a company worthy of supporting, IMO, and not a place that I trust with the custodian of the games that I own. Going by the attitude EGS have been showing, they won't care one bit if they shut down their service in the future once it's no longer their interest to continue, or it Tim Sweeney retires. And as they're 40% owned by a large corporation, and as so far Tim Sweeney has asserted that consumers don't matter and it's all about the developers, I think that it's likely EGS' policies could gravitate more towards benefiting developers and publishers over time at the cost of the consumer's interests.

That's why I'm only taking the free game offers on EGS.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I don't dislike Epic or its store. In fact, having viable competition for Steam can only be good for end users. However, I hate these exclusive deals. They provide no benefit to the user.

The main reason I use Steam is because on many titles, I get access to both the Windows and macOS versions of the game (I use both operating systems on a regular basis). I use GOG because they are DRM free and are great for older titles. I am not adding another launcher to the mix that gives me no benefits to do so.

That being said, I am not too concerned about this. History has shown there are usually other ways to get games without going through a company store. I am guessing a lot of people will be going that route with BL3.

-kp

8 hours ago, Rakanoth said:

Could you please explain why? A short and simple summary would suffice.

I think it's because they prefer to install games on the platform of which they've been using for years. And when Epic keeps bringing games from Steam and making them exclusive to their platform and releasing brand new games exclusive to their platform(most recently Borderlands 3), it makes them bitter about it. I have zero issues with Epic and the games I play on it run flawlessly. Plus I haven't paid any amount of money for my Epic library. If I want to play Borderlands 3, I will have zero issue installing it to my Epic library.

For me its that Tencent (china) owns a large % of it. Though, I don't "hate" it, I'd just prefer going somewhere not owned by china.

8 hours ago, tarfeef101 said:
  1. Racism against companies partially owned by chinese companies

What kind of weak ass copout is calling people who are wary about Chinese-owned (or partially-owned) companies "racist"?

It's almost like you don't want anyone to dispute your point on the pretense that they'll look offensive.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.