Are mx browns really that bad?

So I'm looking for a quiet tactile switch for typing and some gaming and I was recommended mx browns but I constantly see people saying they're garbage

Are they really that bad? What switch would I be better off getting?

it depends on your personal opinion. I know people who like browns. What you like in a switch is all up to you. The only real answer is for you to get a switch tester, which you should if you really want to know. Keyboard switch feel is a very finicky thing. 

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

44 minutes ago, Questionaboutcherrybrowns said:

So I'm looking for a quiet tactile switch for typing and some gaming and I was recommended mx browns but I constantly see people saying they're garbage

Are they really that bad? What switch would I be better off getting?

They barely count tactile and are quite scratchy.  This is what most people dislike about them.

There are too many switches to name them all. I'd go with Zealios as that is my favorite tactile switch of all time.

If you are only looking at commercially available prebuilt keyboards, then MX Browns might be your only option for quiet and tactile.

If you want to dip your toes into custom mechanical keyboards, then Zeal Zilents or Outemu Silent ICE might be want you're looking for.

No they aren't I like them better than any of the easy to get MX keys.

On 4/3/2019 at 2:41 PM, Dissitesuxba11s said:

If you are only looking at commercially available prebuilt keyboards, then MX Browns might be your only option for quiet and tactile.

If you want to dip your toes into custom mechanical keyboards, then Zeal Zilents or Outemu Silent ICE might be want you're looking for.

Hot-swap boards are available now in a lot of different form factors. It's relatively easy for a person who wants a boutique switch to get ones in a format they are looking for.

They are excellent, and I'm genuinely not saying this because I own them.

Consider this: Linus, who has access to use every keyboard he could ever want, still uses a Logitech G710+ with Cherry MX browns.

Imo, the people who say it's trash are just pretentious. You may not like it (although I certainly do not understand why] but under no circumstance are they "bad".

Same kind of people who say ''yeah that QC35 is fucking trash son, you don't really get acceptable audio if you don't use silver drivers with tubes and shit"

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

14 minutes ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

Consider this: Linus, who has access to use every keyboard he could ever want, still uses a Logitech G710+ with Cherry MX browns.

Imo, the people who say it's trash are just pretentious. You may not like it (although I certainly do not understand why] but under no circumstance are they "bad".

Same kind of people who say ''yeah that QC35 is fucking trash son, you don't really get acceptable audio if you don't use silver drivers with tubes and shit"

Ah, well, a famous person likes them. That makes them great!

Great logic there. I guess I should not vaccinate my kids due to several prominent celebrities being anti-vaxers.

1 hour ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

Someone that isn't interested in keyboards at all, that hasn't tried switches that aren't Cherrys, and that spews out BS about a lot of things uses MX Browns. Good for you. 

It's more like paying the price of a WH-1000XM3 to get a Beats Solo HD. You can get options that are better in every way, for a lower price, and you're overpaying, because clueless people keep buying them. 

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

2 hours ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

I own cherry brown board, tried comparing them to gateron brown, and kailh brown, and gateron and kailh ones fell better,smoother, and keep in mind I lubed my cherry browns.They are not trash though, most, if not all mech boards are better than membrane ones, no matter cherry or not, but other options are genuinely better, I'm not a keyboard snob, I have basic board I bought for 80 euros, this board for me was like a gateway to even better options and now i'm in the middle of building a custom keyboard for myself with outemu switches.

On Linus using g710+, is he still using it though, do you know him personally that you so are sure about that?He might have switched to something else.And even if he does, I believe some older versions of cherry switches were superb, he might be using some older version, some people even today buy vintage mx switches, so they can be good and as far as Linus goes, I think be might be a creature of habit and do not change his keyboard until it breaks just because he is very familiar with it. It would be interesting to mention Linus,and he might confirm or deny what keyboard he is using these days, but you might get a heart attack if he would respond as you clearly are a bit coo coo for cocoa puffs when it comes to Linus and Luke.

People dislike mx browns and modern cherry switches in general because:

1- They're scratchy as fuck. 268.png.1364956a4eec26e323f6c89d3440d48d.png266.png.a5a8bcae09680a9fa4305a3e2725cc1f.pnghere is a comparison between modern cherry red rgb and a vintage mx black switch, the new tooling and possibly materials are a lot worse as shown in the force graphs with the large amounts of variation. 

2- Because their tactile switches aren't really tactile at all 

cherry-mx-brown.png.8094337de13a553e904bf85e88acf28f.pngVery small bump compared to something actually tactile like a holy pandatop-clack-holy-panda.png.6089a22153a2bf9424f1956a98c88c9f.pngand box royales101819-newplot.png.c9294bdded2d100922989c1a5264f76b.png

Ul7IpLl_grande.jpg.e03606d83492dcd9300145e15bd71964.jpgHere in this photo you can see the difference between a mx brown and a zealio slider, note how the zealio is much smoother and has a more sharp leg which produces a much stronger tactile bump. 

72.png

cherry-mx-brown.png

I would recommend cherry mx red or mx black silents instead of cherry mx browns, but that's just my opinion.

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

From my personal use, I can barely ell the difference between different switches. Of course mx blues and mx clears are going to be different (Mainly sound) but the majority of cherry switches are high quality and good for almost all use

On 4/5/2019 at 9:14 AM, noxdeouroboros said:

I own cherry brown board, tried comparing them to gateron brown, and kailh brown, and gateron and kailh ones fell better,smoother, and keep in mind I lubed my cherry browns.They are not trash though, most, if not all mech boards are better than membrane ones, no matter cherry or not, but other options are genuinely better, I'm not a keyboard snob, I have basic board I bought for 80 euros, this board for me was like a gateway to even better options and now i'm in the middle of building a custom keyboard for myself with outemu switches.

On Linus using g710+, is he still using it though, do you know him personally that you so are sure about that?He might have switched to something else.And even if he does, I believe some older versions of cherry switches were superb, he might be using some older version, some people even today buy vintage mx switches, so they can be good and as far as Linus goes, I think be might be a creature of habit and do not change his keyboard until it breaks just because he is very familiar with it. It would be interesting to mention Linus,and he might confirm or deny what keyboard he is using these days, but you might get a heart attack if he would respond as you clearly are a bit coo coo for cocoa puffs when it comes to Linus and Luke.

I still run my first gen K70 RGB (MX Brown) at home and my G710+ at work.

Keyswitches for me are not really about performance at this point. With some exceptions (Reds... yuck) I can type 120-140 WPM regardless of switch type. It's about comfort, and I really like Browns. Some people might not.

I've never said "go buy Browns". I've only said "I prefer Browns" and that's for good reason. Keyboards are all about personal preference.

8 hours ago, LinusTech said:

I still run my first gen K70 RGB (MX Brown) at home and my G710+ at work.

Keyswitches for me are not really about performance at this point. With some exceptions (Reds... yuck) I can type 120-140 WPM regardless of switch type. It's about comfort, and I really like Browns. Some people might not.

I've never said "go buy Browns". I've only said "I prefer Browns" and that's for good reason. Keyboards are all about personal preference.

Thank you for the response and for clearing that up.

My brother has MX Browns on his keyboard, in my opinion they feel like worn toggle switches, not satisfying at all. 

My experience is limited though since I've only tried a switch tester and not any other switches on a full keyboard. 

Its all personal preference. Every switch exists because there is market of people who like them. 

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it. :P

On 4/12/2019 at 8:26 PM, ImAyaanKhan said:

I would recommend cherry mx red or mx black silents instead of cherry mx browns, but that's just my opinion.

Well, those are linear switches and not very good ones either in terms of smoothness. OP wants tactile switch. 

On 4/5/2019 at 10:24 AM, geo3 said:

Ah, well, a famous person likes them. That makes them great!

Great logic there. I guess I should not vaccinate my kids due to several prominent celebrities being anti-vaxers.

What he said was linus can have any switch he wants and he uses the browns... No need to be a punk about it Brah:) you use reds don't u!! just saying

21 minutes ago, kidroc666 said:

No need to be a punk about it Brah:) you use reds don't u!! just saying

No, he uses zeals.

1 hour ago, kidroc666 said:

What he said was linus can have any switch he wants and he uses the browns... No need to be a punk about it Brah:) you use reds don't u!! just saying

I can also use any switch I want and choose not to use browns.  And no I wouldn't touch reds either.

28 minutes ago, Kriss ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

Unless it has input lag or any other actual flaw how can you say any switch is superior than another?

He can, because

20 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Keyboards are all about personal preference.

7 hours ago, b emoji said:

Well, those are linear switches and not very good ones either in terms of smoothness. OP wants tactile switch. 

Oh, alright

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

1 hour ago, Kriss ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

Unless it has input lag or any other actual flaw how can you say any switch is superior than another?

On keyfeel (subjective), smoothness (objective, but is subjective whether you like it or not), key wobble, lifespan, durability, sound, and much more.