Borderlands 3 will be exclusively on the Epic store for the first 6 months

Go to solution Solved by Terryv,

For everyone asking ng why the epic launcher is so bad. Here's a list of missing features as compared to steam.

wL7LZAp.jpg

Here's a link that discusses EGS privacy concerns: https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0rxdq/epic_game_store_spyware_tracking_and_you/

Here's one in regards to their security problems (may or may not be fixed): https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://motherboard.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/vba5nb/fornite-login-hack-epic-games-website&ved=2ahUKEwiA69Kuy7ThAhVHaq0KHdjoAuQQFjAEegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw3ca1m65eGjWGdUWfgPeRGF&ampcf=1&cshid=1554317396981

Remember that report that said piracy has become more commonplace again because of so many exclusive competing internet video providers?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Remember that report that said piracy has become more commonplace again because of so many exclusive competing internet video providers?

I would say the difference is almost all streaming video services have a cost associated to them, lets say a barrier to entry. EGS is free, there is 0 cost to you to make an account with them and shop on the store. Maybe time but that would be spent at other stores as well so i don't consider it a factor in this case. So BL3 was going to cost $60 on Steam and will probably cost the exact same on EGS so really you're just pirating to pirate. Not because it's split over services you can't access without a cost.

17 minutes ago, LostElric said:

so really you're just pirating to pirate.

I mean yea, that's what a good majority of pirating is. The argument being made here is that Steam is that much more compelling over piracy that fewer people will commit it, but EGS is not a compelling option.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

22 hours ago, poochyena said:

They are freely making the decision, as in free will, as in, not forced. 

Actually many are. It's the PUBLISHERS who are making the deals and the DEVS of Outer Worlds and Metro Exodus both didn't know it was going to be epic exclusive until the day the announcements dropped. They ARE forced into it because the publishers are getting millions of extra dollars from Epic to do exclusivity deals. The DEVS now then have to deal with the fallout of it, the DEVS now have to deal with ehther or not that publisher is going to give them, the money they got for it. The devs now have to deal with if they get the extra share that epic provides or if their publisher will keep the same cut.

The exclusivity is also highly anti consumers, it doesn't benefit consuemrs in any way shape or form. It creates divide and instead of competes aims to KILL ANYONE smaller than itself. They want to kill of platforms like GoG because they want them to be too small to ever compete. GoG has survived competeing with steam by offering advantages to consumers not exclusivity deals. GoG wont be able to survive if all the big releases only ever come to the EGS during the HIGHEST point of game sales.

It's anti consumer and anti competition. They don't want to compete they want to control.

3 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

As I said, no one is forcing you to buy it on EGS, if you can survive without playing wait for a Steam release. If you must buy it, buy it on EGS. Just to be clear, there is nothing wrong with deciding to buy on EGS, which is what people here do not understand. Buy it on any platform that you want but then be aware that by buying the game from said platform you actually support the practice so then don't be shocked if it becomes even a more common practice. And if you buy from EGS, I really do hope you enjoy the game. There is always a choice. 

Yeah, I can wait.

Though I don’t plan to be getting this game anyhow, so perhaps by the time it goes on Steam, it’s been more polished 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

You have a clear choice. Don't buy on EGS, wait for it to come on Steam. 

thats the thing* they said for metro its NEVER coming to steam and they said if people protest again they will never have a  pc version again

1 hour ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

They ARE forced into it because the publishers are getting millions of extra dollars from Epic to do exclusivity deals.

What are the devs being forced to do exactly?

The exclusivity is also highly anti consumers, it doesn't benefit consuemrs in any way shape or form.

Anti-consumer means it hurts consumers. A action that benefits or doesn't benefit (neutral) is not anti consumer.

It creates divide

among who?

aims to KILL ANYONE smaller than itself.

How does this kill anyone smaller than itself?

GoG wont be able to survive if all the big releases only ever come to the EGS during the HIGHEST point of game sales.

Why not? If you got rid of all their AAA games, would they still not have a massive games library?

37 minutes ago, nnfancois said:

thats the thing* they said for metro its NEVER coming to steam and they said if people protest again they will never have a  pc version again

That is literally called tyranny. Nothing ever came out of threating any community. If legit everyone boycotted the game they'd be forced to cover costs imo. But that's my thinking. They also said it sold 2.5x better than the predecessor, which for starters didn't sell well and came out when digital sales in general were around 30% lower than now. I don't think it's going as well as they expected. I am not a Metro fan but as I said in a previous comment, there is nothing wrong with you buying from EGS if you want.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Never understood why it is a problem to have multiple launchers.

Back in the day my games were on CDs, DVDs and my HDD. Didn't have a unified platform to keep them all tidy and auto updated and kids now days are like: ehrmagawd I want all my games on Steam.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

55 minutes ago, nnfancois said:

That was one dev and was not true. They issued a statement about that. Link

18 minutes ago, DaRk0 said:

Never understood why it is a problem to have multiple launchers.

Back in the day my games were on CDs, DVDs and my HDD. Didn't have a unified platform to keep them all tidy and auto updated and kids now days are like: ehrmagawd I want all my games on Steam.

At least for me, it's not so much a matter of having multiple clients on my desktop. As it is, I already have Battle.net, Steam, and Discord opening on startup, and I have Origin and Uplay installed still, the problem is the Epic Games client itself being a sketch fest of a platform. That's not even the end of it either, because as a consumer, I don't appreciate these incredibly aggressive power plays that Epic is pulling with these multi-million dollar exclusivity agreements, especially since several of the games were slated for launch on Steam and GOG before Epic forced the switch.

I have to agree. Another launcher, while mildly annoying, I can deal with. The paid exclusivity deals is what pisses me off. And from my perspective the game does not come out until 2020.

37 minutes ago, Suika said:

At least for me, it's not so much a matter of having multiple clients on my desktop. As it is, I already have Battle.net, Steam, and Discord opening on startup, and I have Origin and Uplay installed still, the problem is the Epic Games client itself being a sketch fest of a platform. That's not even the end of it either, because as a consumer, I don't appreciate these incredibly aggressive power plays that Epic is pulling with these multi-million dollar exclusivity agreements, especially since several of the games were slated for launch on Steam and GOG before Epic forced the switch.

I get you, but Epic recently opened their platform to other publishers so they need time.

I guess people forgot how Steam was in early days.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

5 minutes ago, DaRk0 said:

I get you, but Epic recently opened their platform to other publishers so they need time.

I guess people forgot how Steam was in early days.

It's not a question of the quality of the platform, it's pretty well established that it's well below the bar Steam has set, I'm more so questioning the security of the platform and the ties Epic has with Tencent.

1 hour ago, Suika said:

It's not a question of the quality of the platform, it's pretty well established that it's well below the bar Steam has set, I'm more so questioning the security of the platform and the ties Epic has with Tencent.

What about Tencent? Isn't Tencent owning or partially owning few of big names in the gaming industry?

2 minutes ago, DaRk0 said:

What about Tencent? Isn't Tencent owning or partially owning few of big names in the gaming industry?

Ubisoft, Riot, Supercell, and of course Epic, just to name a few.

A girl who loves to love.

why do they make it exclusive?  does the developers get a guaranteed pay off for doing so? or is it just testing out water on single sales platform release or whatever ,anybody know real reason?

Details separate people.

8 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

why do they make it exclusive?  does the developers get a guaranteed pay off for doing so? or is it just testing out water on single sales platform release or whatever ,anybody know real reason?

The devs get a larger cut verses Steam. Steam takes 30% and Epic takes 12%. Steam will take less as your sales go up but there is not guarantee that your game will make those sales targets, and they are also fairly high sales targets to meet. The Epic exclusivity is either the devs thinking that if they only release on Epic they will make more profit verses steam. If the game was launched on both then I suspect that people who have both platforms would buy it from steam instead which would cut into their profit. I believe Epic also guarantees that a sales target will be met and the devs get reimbursed if that target is not met. I don't think they've had to use this yet as if they did they would hemorrhage money faster than a collapsing communist state and businesses are not in the business of loosing money.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

19 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Yes. And a bunch of shekels.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

7 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

The devs get a larger cut verses Steam. Steam takes 30% and Epic takes 12%.

2 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Yes. And a bunch of shekels.

so it's a pure greed motivated move. that's gonna complicate things .

Details separate people.

5 hours ago, DaRk0 said:

It's ties with the communist party of china and also privacy problems...

✨FNIGE✨

2 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

I originally thought that 2k games/Gearbox had a falling out with steam but I couldn't find any news article about it so I must be thinking of something else.

You could say that it's greed motivating these decisions though I think in every case so far it has been the publisher not the actual developer that makes the decision. On the flip side they may not like that steam is taking 30% of their revenue for doing little to no work. 30% is actually a considerably large percentage of the profits being taken and I can't think of anywhere else that is taking such a large chunk either online or real world. As a perspective, most retail stores will take somewhere between 5-15% on the products they sell.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

34 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

A company being motivated by maximizing their profit. How dare they.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Pirate bay is looking like a more enticing game platform each and every day XD

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

1 hour ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

It's mostly down to 2 big reasons. 

• The revenue split. Games sold on the EGS have an 88-12 split, where the developer/publisher gets 88% of the revenue while Epic Games gets 12%. For comparison, Steam has a 70-30 split but shifts to a 75-25 split and an 80-20 split if a game sells above a specified revenue threshold. Epic Games also waives the 5% fee for the Unreal Engine (a popular choice for indies) if it is sold on the EGS. 
  • Revenue guarantee. This is interesting, because Epic Games apparently guarantees that a game will sell a certain amount to meet a guaranteed revenue threshold, or else Epic Games will compensate. This provides a safety net especially for newer developers who may struggle to sell enough units to break even, but it also presents a risk for Epic Games as multiple failures to reach a target could be a money losing venture. I doubt Epic is just going to be throwing money like this to the point of losses, but it is rather interesting 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1