Borderlands 3 will be exclusively on the Epic store for the first 6 months

Go to solution Solved by Terryv,

For everyone asking ng why the epic launcher is so bad. Here's a list of missing features as compared to steam.

wL7LZAp.jpg

Here's a link that discusses EGS privacy concerns: https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0rxdq/epic_game_store_spyware_tracking_and_you/

Here's one in regards to their security problems (may or may not be fixed): https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://motherboard.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/vba5nb/fornite-login-hack-epic-games-website&ved=2ahUKEwiA69Kuy7ThAhVHaq0KHdjoAuQQFjAEegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw3ca1m65eGjWGdUWfgPeRGF&ampcf=1&cshid=1554317396981

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Yes they did because only they can sell some games and no-one else. Pull your head out of the sand....

That's simply consumer side. There are 2 markets at play here. You as a consumer only have 1 place to buy this game now. Obviously there are more digital distributors and i'm sure Gearbox shopped the game around and got the best offer from Epic. That's competition. An example would be exclusive consoles like recently the Kingdom Hearts 3 PS4, it was exclusive to Gamestop in the states. Obviously you could go anywhere and buy a ps4 but if you wanted that one you had to go to gamestop. You think gamestop didn't outbid other companies for that? Not only do they now have that sale but they can push their other products on the people walking into the store now. I'm sorry the digital distribution you prefer didn't bother to make a better offer to sell a game you may have wanted to play.

1 hour ago, PacketMan said:

it prevents and reduces competition in a market

Can you explain how it does that? How does this prevent or reduces competition?

1 hour ago, Tsuki said:

Its amazon branded though.

I don't really understand. So you'll be ok as long as they slap an EPIC logo on it?

1 hour ago, PacketMan said:

This doesn't encourage people to use other platforms

I imagine a lot of people will use the platform to buy the game since they can't buy it on steam.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

I'd rather not support publishers that are doing exclusive deals.

Can you buy half life on the epic store?

I can live with a six-month exclusive. Better than EA & co. whose games never reach Steam even remotely.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Excited to play it on release. Its one of my favorite franchises and I'm happy to support the developer.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

52 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Can you explain how it does that? How does this prevent or reduces competition?

It isn't even competition, a game exclusive to one storefront is just competing with themselves, if it were open to other storefronts then it would be competition.

I imagine a lot of people will use the platform to buy the game since they can't buy it on steam.

A lot of people that already have the epic games store probably won't mind, but plenty of people are getting tired of the greedy locked content. I don't mind another launcher though I won't support the anti-consumer business practices or use a launcher that takes my Steam data.

Can you buy half life on the epic store?

A game like Half Life is an exception because it was developed by Valve, and they aren't making third party games exclusive to their platform.

17 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

a game exclusive to one storefront is just competing with themselves

Steam still has thousands of games for sale, so they are still competing. Steam and Epic store could not have a single similar game, and they'd still be competing.

19 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

locked content.

The content isn't locked.

20 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

anti-consumer business practices

Consumers are not hurt by this at all.

20 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

A game like Half Life is an exception because it was developed by Valve

Why does who developed the game matter?

I am so hyped for Borderlands 3!!! I loved the first 2 games! (never got to play the pre-sequel though but it looked just as amazing!). Old characters returning from Borderlands 1, new characters showing up, and a gun that walks on it's own tiny legs!!!! This game is going to be EPIC! I'm downloading the epic store right now and going to pre-order the game ASAP! Can't wait for September!

10 hours ago, PacketMan said:

Because you, as a dev,

No, the publisher does. Case in point, Obsidian's Director of Communications at PAX.

I just wanted to say one question that maybe, if you’ve messaged me on Instagram, or Facebook, or Twitter, or text me, or DMed me – any kind of thing – about the Epic Games Store. We just wanted to let you know that our Private Division partners are fantastic and we love working with them. It’s a decision that they made for the game.

“We’re just excited to be working on the game with them, and we want to just talk about this awesome game that you just saw.”

Given that contracts at that level include things like no badmouthing the publisher one can safely assume that translates to "Those assholes decided this on their own. We had no say in it."

Still a shitty move, though at least they didn’t pull a Metro: Exodus and suddenly announce an exclusivity after months of being on another platform. That’s shitty multiplied tenfold.

I’ll be interested to see how the response after the first 6 months will be.

Regardless, this isn’t competition. Not a healthy one at least. It’s more monopolistic behavior, if you ask me. Epic is already making their platform a hard-sell with the extremely lean featureset as of now alongside exclusivity, but with some announcing an exclusivity despite months of advertising their product as launching on other platforms, it leaves an even more sour taste in many mouths.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

9 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

they dont care that the fanboys are not buying there games......because everyone else is

Not if you look at the performance of Metro Exodus. Given the push behind that game it should have sold a shitload more than 2.5 times what Last Light did in the same period of time. Instead it more or less kept pace with market growth.

7 hours ago, Terryv said:

For everyone asking ng why the epic launcher is so bad. Here's a list of missing features as compared to steam.

Your list is missing the fact that EGS still doesn't have a shopping cart, and their roadmap showed it wouldn't have one for more than 6 months.

All of these exclusives is basically going to be a test to see who has the most money to spend on content.

Valve's pretty libertarian about their approach: outside of their own games (well, duh) they don't force or try to bribe anyone into making their games Steam-exclusive. As I've mentioned before, Valve is very nonchalant about devs and publishers unless they actively damage the community, i.e. Digital Homicide and the stunts they pulled.

Epic is going all-in. They want a piece of Valve and they want to see them charge at the Epic Games Launcher.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

YAAAAARRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

Avast ye scalawags here we go again!

Shiver me timbers, yo ho!

41 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

All of these exclusives is basically going to be a test to see who has the most money to spend on content.

Valve's pretty libertarian about their approach: outside of their own games (well, duh) they don't force or try to bribe anyone into making their games Steam-exclusive. As I've mentioned before, Valve is very nonchalant about devs and publishers unless they actively damage the community, i.e. Digital Homicide and the stunts they pulled.

Epic is going all-in. They want a piece of Valve and they want to see them charge at the Epic Games Launcher.

Does really look like it.

Time will tell if all this PR nightmares and disdain end up affecting Epic's goal. Remember that quite a number of EGS users don't use Steam, and some don't use Steam much.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, LostElric said:

I'm going to leave this here as well. While i honestly don't care for EGS i think people also need to take a real look at Valve and Steam.Valve is not your friend, and Steam is not healthy for gaming.

I don't think many reasonable folks want the game to only be on Steam. They just want the choice of buying from storefronts that give them the best deals.

1 minute ago, D13H4RD said:

I don't think many reasonable folks want the game to only be on Steam. They just want the choice of buying from storefronts that give them the best deals.

The funny thing is, if 2K distributed Borderlands 3 on their own somehow rather than through Steam, I'd be perfectly fine. It's the EGS exclusivity that kills me because I'm not installing it on my desktop lmfao.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

You're probably right. If i'm honest though a lot of the comments i see pretty much boil down to "i don't want to use another launcher, i want all my games in one place and i already use steam." So they want "choice" but they want that choice to be the monopolistic company. Maybe i'm wrong. At the end of the day i don't use 90% of Steams features so i'll probably pick up BL3 on EGS and jump on Discord and play with my friends, same as it would have been if i bought it on Steam.

2 minutes ago, LostElric said:

You're probably right. If i'm honest though a lot of the comments i see pretty much boil down to "i don't want to use another launcher, i want all my games in one place and i already use steam." So they want "choice" but they want that choice to be the monopolistic company. Maybe i'm wrong. At the end of the day i don't use 90% of Steams features so i'll probably pick up BL3 on EGS and jump on Discord and play with my friends, same as it would have been if i bought it on Steam.

To be quite honest, I was actually interested in the EGS before all this.

This really just serves to make me hold out until the service improves and when Epic follows through on their statement that they'll eventually tone down with the exclusivity.

I just saw 2 games which were promoted and pre-sold on Steam made a sudden switcheroo to EGS. That's 10x more shitty than BL3's deal IMHO.

Personally never been a fan of Borderlands and didn't intend on purchasing the game anyway, but I certainly empathize with the people who feel cheated or betrayed by this. Though it's not particularly surprising to me since 2K's CEO basically said "Sucks to be you..." to Valve. An Epic Store exclusivity deal for Borderlands 3 was basically a foregone conclusion after that point tbh.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

I've been a huge fan of the Borderlands franchise ever since it was introduced to me through a steam sale. I was so excited when I heard we were actually going to get Borderlands 3, but the Epic Games store exclusivity is a killer for me. I won't be buying it on the Epic Games store launcher strictly due to the security problems and the ties Tencent has with the Chinese Communist party. This is unfortunate, but we shouldn't be supporting Epic for this. I'll be excited to play Borderlands 3 on it's real release date in April of 2020.

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

14 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

If a dev decides to sign an exclusivity deal with a platform that I don't plan on using, it's clear that they don't want my money.  So it's okay if I pirate it.

(not that I have any interest in this game to begin with, the above statement is merely my general stance on this whole Epic Store exclusivity bullshit)

That's exactly what I have been saying about Steam store until now! Glad I found someone who thinks alike...

I AM A PROPHET

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

6 months for them to beta test this? Cool. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

49 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

oh joy

Been that way for a while now 

Review bombing has just become a common way for people to voice their discontent. It happens on Metacritic as well. 

in other news game developers complain piracy is on the rise &  they see no probably cause whatsoever causing this issue to be on the rise.

Details separate people.