Borderlands 3 will be exclusively on the Epic store for the first 6 months

Go to solution Solved by Terryv,

For everyone asking ng why the epic launcher is so bad. Here's a list of missing features as compared to steam.

wL7LZAp.jpg

Here's a link that discusses EGS privacy concerns: https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0rxdq/epic_game_store_spyware_tracking_and_you/

Here's one in regards to their security problems (may or may not be fixed): https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://motherboard.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/vba5nb/fornite-login-hack-epic-games-website&ved=2ahUKEwiA69Kuy7ThAhVHaq0KHdjoAuQQFjAEegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw3ca1m65eGjWGdUWfgPeRGF&ampcf=1&cshid=1554317396981

2 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Steam always saturates my internet connection. I haven't encountered a lot of other programs that do that, game client or otherwise.

The location of the distribution node and the network path to the client device (I.e. you) are likely the determining factors, not the launcher/platform.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

10 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

-snip-

1 i dont have any epic games, i dont think i have the launcher

2 it is competition just not the competition that you want

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

11 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

-snip-

I mean... Epic does care. They care so much that they're spending tens of millions of dollars on exclusivity agreements to capture the purchasing power of as many Steam users as possible.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

39 minutes ago, Esus said:

However, I feel like these other launchers download games better than Steam does.

I generally don't use other launchers (although I have accounts for Origin, Uplay and the Epic Games Launcher) but Steam tends to use my internet connection to the fullest. That being said I'm also pretty close to one of their better datacenters (the Atlanta one) so that'd make sense.

One downloader that really fucking sucks for me is the Microsoft Store. It downloads like absolute shit and rarely bothers to use my download speeds well.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

5 minutes ago, Suika said:

I mean... Epic does care. They care so much that they're spending tens of millions of dollars on exclusivity agreements to capture the purchasing power of as many Steam users as possible.

they dont care that the fanboys are not buying there games......because everyone else is

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

What sucks is while they proclaim it's best for the devs it's actually best for the publisher who gets all that extra money and decides IF they want to give the extra to the devs.

Welp, seems I will wait six months then.  May just wait out for the GOTY verison anyway.

Not totally surprise this happened though.  The game runs on the Unreal Engine, and 2K and Gearbox have worked with Epic on some of their games in the past.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

People who buy these exclusive games are the ones who will turn PC gaming industry into a hot garbage. Just don't get mad when we'll call you out and say "we told you so" when it happens.

23 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

People who buy these exclusive games are the ones who will turn PC gaming industry into a hot garbage. Just don't get mad when we'll call you out and say "we told you so" when it happens.

Right? Imagine if it nVidia or AMD did this and paid devs to release games that only worked with their hardware for x amount of time before releasing compatibility patches for the competitor's hardware.

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Epic client/launcher is shit.

is it really that bad though?

Exclusives are shit.

why?

It was bad enough when consoles had exclusives, we don't need this shit within PC ecosystem as well.

Console exclusives are bad since you have to buy proprietary hardware to play the game. There is no difference when you buy a game from one online store or another.

2 hours ago, PacketMan said:

If all your games are on Steam I can understand that they FREELY decide to launch it on Epic Store

The devs freely decided to put it on the epic store exclusively too.

2 hours ago, PacketMan said:

As well as a Youtuber that creates certain content, like unboxing and reviews, and suddenly are paid to make a good review about a product

Is Epic lying about something?

1 hour ago, Dash Lambda said:

I prefer to have a single launcher for my games

You can add non-steam games to your game list on steam. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2219-YDJV-5557

Gamers also freely decide not to buy this crap. We don't need stupid fragmentation of market within a single segment. Consoles are a thing of their own because it's all proprietary. PC's are not.

5 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

Why would they make a fucking exclusive game for a platform that isn't welcomed among gamers for free?

They are freely making the decision, as in free will, as in, not forced.

6 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

they are getting money from Epic, and that's unethical 

Why is that unethical?

6 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

Maybe not, but that doesn't mean that it's ethical

Why is that unethical?

7 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

I'm not interesting in getting a new account for a game since I already have more than 250 games on Steam

Then don't. Exclusively buying all your games from a single store is really weird though. My games have come from many sources (steam, kickstarter, humblebundle, retail, countless MMOs)

6 minutes ago, poochyena said:

They are freely making the decision, as in free will, as in, not forced.

Why is that unethical?

Why is that unethical?

Then don't. Exclusively buying all your games from a single store is really weird though. My games have come from many sources (steam, kickstarter, humblebundle, retail, countless MMOs)

This last point is very important.

People buying everything off of one store is also bad for the games industry.

Yes, ideally, we'd be a proper steam competitor through free and open market forces alone. But that didn't happen. I'd rather Epic store exist then not exist. People will decide with their wallets whether Epic will succeed now.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, I-r0k said:

This seems to be just Epic trying to gain a better foothold to compete with Steam.

Well yes, that's exactly what this is :P they aren't trying to hide it.

4 hours ago, I-r0k said:

I think that I’m not going to buy the game anyway, mostly because I don’t have $60. I do see how this could upset some people thought. What are your thoughts? Is it a good idea to have exclusive 6 month contacts like this?

I think the main issue is DRM of all kinds, and exclusivity deals are only a symptom of the disease. If we accept DRM as a fact of the market, however, I think a strong competitor to Steam is a good thing in the long run - even if they have to make temporary exclusivity deals to get there. The lower margins and even just the competition will probably end up lowering release prices, too, which is good news if you can't afford to blow 60$ on every new game you may want to play.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Console exclusives are bad since you have to buy proprietary hardware to play the game. There is no difference when you buy a game from one online store or another.

That's actually not true. The launcher usually handles things like DRM, online functionality, and sometimes even controller support. Even the game software itself can vary. For example...

• GOG offers DRM-free versions of games, which to my knowledge you don't even need the GOG launcher to run. Pretty much everyone else has DRM tied to the launcher.
  • Steam has a controller API that lets you use pretty much any controller with any game (with even more configurability than you could get with a mouse and keyboard). It works great with most Steam games, but a lot of the time you have to jump through a number of hoops to get non-steam games to play nice.
  • Steam has an offline mode that lets you play games without checking in with the Steam servers. That's not a very rare feature, but it's not something you can take for granted.
  • The GOG version of Crysis actually has a couple fixes to issues that apparently make the Steam version unplayable (I'll never claim that Steam is perfect).
  • Steam has a very friendly system for user-generated content and mods, which can only be relied on for Steam games.

It's a lot like the tradeoffs between hardware platforms, just without the cost of the hardware.

36 minutes ago, poochyena said:

You can add non-steam games to your game list on steam. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2219-YDJV-5557

Yes you can, but there are important features that just won't work, some other ones that you'll have to fight with to get them to work, and you'll still have to deal with the Epic Games launcher.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

28 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Now what if it sells better on steam 6 months after launch on the Epic games store?

The developer will be quite happy - they got money from Epic AND more sales than they anticipated. It may convince more developers to sign the same kind of deal actually.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

For everyone asking ng why the epic launcher is so bad. Here's a list of missing features as compared to steam.

wL7LZAp.jpg

Here's a link that discusses EGS privacy concerns: https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0rxdq/epic_game_store_spyware_tracking_and_you/

Here's one in regards to their security problems (may or may not be fixed): https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://motherboard.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/vba5nb/fornite-login-hack-epic-games-website&ved=2ahUKEwiA69Kuy7ThAhVHaq0KHdjoAuQQFjAEegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw3ca1m65eGjWGdUWfgPeRGF&ampcf=1&cshid=1554317396981

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

@Terryv I would like to point out an inaccuracy in your chart.

Steam does indeed have paid exclusives:

HL2 (and said Episodes)

Sure, it's not a new game. But the only reason they don't have newer paid exclusives is because they haven't released a paid game since then. Oh - I guess there's also Portal and Portal 2 too, and the paid version of CS:GO and L4D.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

Huh? Like, faster? I have the opposite experience...

Yeah, I always get my downloads on Steam at the full 260Mbps bandwidth of my Internet-connection.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

HL2 (and said Episodes)

So, you're telling me that valve paid themselves to have exclusive rights to sell HL?

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

Just now, Terryv said:

So, you're telling me that valve paid themselves to have exclusive rights to sell HL?

They're exclusives that cost money to buy, so they are paid exclusives.

Obviously Valve didn't pay themselves, since they don't have to.

12 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

HL2 (and said Episodes)

If we have to be exact, then we can correct that bit to "timed exclusivity agreements with external publishers and developers."

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

15 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

HL2 (and said Episodes)

Sure, it's not a new game. But the only reason they don't have newer paid exclusives is because they haven't released a paid game since then. Oh - I guess there's also Portal and Portal 2 too, and the paid version of CS:GO and L4D.

Important difference here is that HL2, Portal, CS:GO are first party. Games like Metro Exodus and Borderlands 3 are third party though, and essentially being bought out to only be distributed on this one platform.

Also worth noting that Valve has released console versions of their games, so it's not exactly exclusive to Steam on PC.

A girl who loves to love.

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I've made a resolution. I'm not buying ANY games from Epic Store, especially not those that are exclusives. It doesn't matter what it is or how big of a fan I am of those series. I'm not gonna support bullshit business practices. I despise them so much I doubt I'd even buy Unreal branded game if they released one now. And I used to be a huge fan of the game and its engine for years and years.

i just get the free games  on epic so they dont get money lel