AIO vs air cooler

Dinnerb0n3

I'm looking for a cooler for my R7 1700x and I'm stuck between the Corsair h55 for 49.99$ and the Arctic freezer eSports one for 32.99$.

I will be overclocking the CPU, so which one should I get?

IMO 120mm AIOs are a waste of money, so go the air cooler option.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Dinnerb0n3 said:

R7 1700x and I'm stuck between the Corsair h55 for 49.99$ and the Arctic freezer eSports one for 32.99$.

air +1

I clocked my r7 1700 @1.4v / 3900mhz on 212 cooler w/2 fans

load 75C/ gaming ~60C/ idle under 40C

AIOs less than 120 USD usually perform worse than air coolers @ the same price. However, AIOs can save space in the chassis, and can make cable management/swap memory easier.

If you have budget for $50 AIO, you have budget for $50 air cooler. 

FSP Windale 6, Scythe Mugen 5, Lucifer V2, Brocken 3 (assuming you can find one) are solid options in that price range

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

120mm AIOs are garbage and shouldnt be bought outside of some very few edge cases or for GPU mounting. get the air cooler

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

While I don't really recommend that AIO unit in particular (not a great bang for your buck) I would still recommend AIO over HSF. Despite the hate for 120mm's here, my Corsair H100i (4 or 5 years old now) runs my overclocked Ryzen 1700@4ghz at 1.4 volts without exceeding 65c (on the quiet profile, mind you). Runs dead silent and idles around 25-30c.

All of this assumes you have proper airflow on your rig and can keep the VRMs cool. For $100+ I recommend AIO's over HSF, under $100 and it varies. I personally prefer to not hang a giant hunk of metal off a thin piece of silicon, but some of those HSF coolers do pretty damn good these days.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

=Only reason to get midrange AIO is looks. They don't offer anything else. They might be option if you limited by space, aka having small case. But only top-end dual/triple rads can be argued to be better option. But even still they are more about being for looks as you can get same results with top-end air coolers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If I have to use a 120mm liquid cooler, I would use a thicc 120mm rad, like Alphacool Eisbaer 120, but its price is the down side, it's US$130 for a 120mm AIO which is on a tier 2 list, I would prefer the "Le Grand Macho RT" than any other aircoolers or AIOs

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

I prefer Air Coolers due to the concerns that AIOs or all types of liquid coolers could leak. Or the pump failing. Air Coolers are much easier to deal with. If the fans die. Just replace them with new ones.You just need to dust the heatsink every now and then.

CPU: I9-9900k CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz Dual Channel Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Soundcard: Sound BlasterX AE-7 Capture Card: Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Boot Drive: Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1TB SSD Storage Drives: WD BLACK SN750 NVME 1TB SSD WD Blue 1TB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2 WD Blue 500GB SSDs Blu-Ray Drive: Pioneer BDR-2207 Power Supply:  Seasonic PRIME 850 Platinum SSR-850PD 850W 80+ Platinum Case: Cooler Master HAF X OS: Windows 10 Pro

18 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

120mm AIOs are garbage and shouldnt be bought outside of some very few edge cases or for GPU mounting. get the air cooler

The h80v2 is damn good 120mm AIO  and there are a few more...

1 hour ago, kidroc666 said:

They are literal garbage for what you pay. Performance is OK but a cheaper air cooler beats them 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, kidroc666 said:

But the price is too damn high. Might as well buy AIO with 50mm rad and bundle second fan, better performance for same price

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Why are you looking at these coolers in particular? What case and ram are you using?

Where are you shopping / located?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

My corsair h115i AIO broke after like 3 years (more precisely the pump stopped working). so I went back to a Noctua nh-d15. acoustics is almost the same (had 4x noctua 14" in push/pull, with a custom-silent curve). 

so the hassle is not worth it. get a decent air cooler and you'll be fine and have more money to spend on performance gains.