Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yo Whats Up

Not sure how to connect my monitor with new gpu

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So, today I got my new vega 56 card. My primary monitor is Asus VG236HE, 1080p 120hz 3D TN, up until now I've always used the cable that came with it, a DVI cable that says "DUAL LINK" on it. However, I just noticed that unlike my last gpu, this card does not have a DVI hole in it... There's 2 HDMI ports and 2 Display ports, and I've never used the latter in my life so obviously I don't have such a cable... I have a VGA cable but there isn't a VGA hole either... So I tried using the HDMI cable that I use with my secondary monitor, but with my asus monitor it only works at 60hz, there's no 120hz option in the menu of the monitor, not only that but there's little tiny flickering dots everywhere and the color quality is absolutely horrible, everything looks washed and I'm not sure why this is happening with the HDMI cable, idk if the issue is from the cable cuz my secondary monitor Acer H236HL, 1080p 60hz IPS,  works perfectly with it, and also the asus monitor worked perfectly with the DVI cable before I switched gpus and found myself without a place to plug the dvi cable into... So I'm not sure what to do, is the issue something with amd? Cuz I've never used amd before, I downloaded their auto detect thingy and it installed the radeon adrenaline software, my other monitor works fine, but this monitor doesn't... My HDMI cable works fine with my other monitor, maybe this monitor doesn't like HDMI cable? Or maybe the issue is with the monitor and amd? Cuz with my nvidia card it was all working fine... I have a VGA, a DVI and an HDMI cable with me, 2 of those have no place to plug them into the gpu, and HDMI doesn't work apparently... And now I'm left with a black monitor and a half-working monitor... And this monitor only has an HDMI and a DVI port... And 3 holes that say "Y", "Pb" and "Pr", they're green blue and red. What should I do?


“Every post deserves a meme„

 –Confucius

Link to post
Share on other sites

Always use DisplayPort when it's available, it has a higher bandwidth. DP is pretty much plug and play (you may have to manually set the source on your monitor, but most decent ones will automatically detect the signal).

 

The HDMI cable you have on hand may just be broken or of poor quality


75% of what I say is sarcastic

 

So is the rest probably

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gaming Machine: CPU : i7 4790K | GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO | MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI | RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury @ 1866 | Case & PSU // Fractal Define S & EVGA 750W

Laptop: 2017 13" MacBook Pro Intel Core i5 | 8GB Ram | 256GB SSD

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

Always use DisplayPort when it's available, it has a higher bandwidth. DP is pretty much plug and play (you may have to manually set the source on your monitor, but most decent ones will automatically detect the signal).

  

The HDMI cable you have on hand may just be broken or of poor quality

No that's the thing, when I use my hdmi cable with my acer h236hl, it works great, but not with the asus monitor...

 

3 minutes ago, Optane^ said:

Do you think this will work? Cuz in "Input select" it says DVI, HDMI and YPbPr?


“Every post deserves a meme„

 –Confucius

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yo Whats Up said:

No that's the thing, when I use my hdmi cable with my acer h236hl, it works great, but not with the asus monitor...

 

Do you think this will work? Cuz in "Input select" it says DVI, HDMI and YPbPr?

you would just select DVI  with the adapter 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Yo Whats Up said:

So, today I got my new vega 56 card. My primary monitor is Asus VG236HE, 1080p 120hz 3D TN, up until now I've always used the cable that came with it, a DVI cable that says "DUAL LINK" on it. However, I just noticed that unlike my last gpu, this card does not have a DVI hole in it... There's 2 HDMI ports and 2 Display ports, and I've never used the latter in my life so obviously I don't have such a cable... I have a VGA cable but there isn't a VGA hole either... So I tried using the HDMI cable that I use with my secondary monitor, but with my asus monitor it only works at 60hz, there's no 120hz option in the menu of the monitor, not only that but there's little tiny flickering dots everywhere and the color quality is absolutely horrible, everything looks washed and I'm not sure why this is happening with the HDMI cable, idk if the issue is from the cable cuz my secondary monitor Acer H236HL, 1080p 60hz IPS,  works perfectly with it, and also the asus monitor worked perfectly with the DVI cable before I switched gpus and found myself without a place to plug the dvi cable into... So I'm not sure what to do, is the issue something with amd? Cuz I've never used amd before, I downloaded their auto detect thingy and it installed the radeon adrenaline software, my other monitor works fine, but this monitor doesn't... My HDMI cable works fine with my other monitor, maybe this monitor doesn't like HDMI cable? Or maybe the issue is with the monitor and amd? Cuz with my nvidia card it was all working fine... I have a VGA, a DVI and an HDMI cable with me, 2 of those have no place to plug them into the gpu, and HDMI doesn't work apparently... And now I'm left with a black monitor and a half-working monitor... And this monitor only has an HDMI and a DVI port... And 3 holes that say "Y", "Pb" and "Pr", they're green blue and red. What should I do?

You need a DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI active adapter.

8 minutes ago, Optane^ said:

Normal DP to DVI cables like that won't work for more than 1080p 60 Hz.

 

Please see here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?output=DP&input=DVI

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

You need a DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI active adapter.

Normal DP to DVI cables like that won't work for more than 1080p 60 Hz.

 

Please see here: 

 

I checked that out, very informative guide!

 

Now, how do I know what cable is active and what is passive? I gotta buy a cable from my country, else there's long shipping, import charges etc. And every cable sold here has vague descriptions that don't really say much... I managed to find a few that say "dual-link", but they don't mention whether they're active or passive, is there a way to tell?

 

W6zqsb.png

 

W6zsWr.png


“Every post deserves a meme„

 –Confucius

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Yo Whats Up said:

I checked that out, very informative guide!

 

Now, how do I know what cable is active and what is passive? I gotta buy a cable from my country, else there's long shipping, import charges etc. And every cable sold here has vague descriptions that don't really say much... I managed to find a few that say "dual-link", but they don't mention whether they're active or passive, is there a way to tell?

 

If it doesn't say active, then it's passive. If it's not active, it can't be a real dual link adapter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
36 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

If it doesn't say active, then it's passive. If it's not active, it can't be a real dual link adapter.

Man these cables are so expensive... And none of them sold in my country, tho that's not a surprise...

 

Well guess I'm selling this monitor, and the other one as well cuz the only reason I had it was to use it as a speaker and to compare the colors cuz it's IPS and the other one is TN so there's some difference, but now that I need a new monitor, I'm just gonna sell both and upgrade to a better one. Idk how people use more than 1 monitor actively, like it's so inconvenient, you have to rotate your head left or right (or up?) to look at the other monitor and that head rotation totally breaks it... It's like playing video games without a chair, you have to stay upright... doable but not convenient... You'd rather sit, just like I'd rather have a bigger curved monitor with more screen space than looking at 2 monitors, which is also why my other monitor just sat there mostly unused, I very rarely looked into it, but since I don't have speakers thought I might as well just keep it cuz why the hassle of having to research what speakers I need to buy... And it was doing a decent job, the quality wasn't as good as my headphones but when I'm listening to it from across the house like when I go to toilet it's alright


“Every post deserves a meme„

 –Confucius

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I just thought of something, what if I use both my vega 56 and gtx 1060 3gb at the same time (I still haven't sold it)? The latter has a dvi port and my 120hz TN monitor works perfectly with it, I can use it for esports games and general usage, and I'll use my 60hz ips monitor with the vega for when I'm playing AAA games, could that work? Two gpus each powering a different monitor at the same time?


“Every post deserves a meme„

 –Confucius

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×