Youtube upload speeds much slower than speedtests.

Eric1024

Title kind of says it all but I figure I should elaborate. Whenever I upload a youtube video the upload rate is 2.1-2.2Mb/s and stays exactly at that speed for the duration of the upload. However, whenever I take an internet speedtest, my upload speeds range from 9-12Mb/s. I usually upload videos late at night (ie 1am at later) and I don't use my network for anything else when I'm uploading. Does anyone know why this might be? Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing?

Also just to cover all the other basics, yes I'm using gigabit connections on all ends (router, switch, mobo) and it's a wired connection, not wireless. My ISP is cox if that's meaningful.

Any help would be appreciated.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

Are you sure you're not confusing megabits on the speedtest with megabytes on the YouTube upload?

My setup used to be linked here but links aren't allowed so... it shall remain a mystery!

Are you sure you're not confusing megabits on the speedtest with megabytes on the YouTube upload?
-.- I'm positive.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

That could be the maximum speed that you can reach youtube at, the ISP could be enforcing an upload speed limit so try to upload other things and see if there is a difference.

And so that you know Speedtest is not an accurate representation of the speed you are getting.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

That could be the maximum speed that you can reach youtube at, the ISP could be enforcing an upload speed limit so try to upload other things and see if there is a difference.

And so that you know Speedtest is not an accurate representation of the speed you are getting.

I had a feeling one of those was the case.

ZFS tutorial

I've noticed this. My connection is very slow at the best of times but youtube only takes about half of my maximum upload when I do it through standard methods. When i am behind a VPN however I get full allowance. I think it is something to do with ISP's throttling/managing ports

- hope this helped.

Thanks for the info. Being a network noob I don't know how to set up/use a vpn but I'll have to do some research.

ZFS tutorial

Same here,when i use vpn,i get full speed
i can approve that even vids load faster when i use spotflux

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Thanks for the info. Being a network noob I don't know how to set up/use a vpn but I'll have to do some research.

You either have to setup your own VPN on an offsite location (renting a server, putting one up yourself, having a router that supports it) or buy one, there are services that offer VPN's. They are mostly used to work around geoip restrictions, to be able to watch videos on sites like CBS and not for speed enhancement (most of them are quite slow).

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

When talking about any technology, the fastest speed you can possibly get is the speed of the slowest piece of hardware in the route. In that case somewhere in the line between you and the Youtube server something wasn't as fast as what you got durring a speed test.