Working pc in garage?

Go to solution Solved by onionring,

I'm thinking that the powerline would be the best alternative then. Can you recommend any?

they re pretty much all the same, (they must respect a communication standard). i d just get the cheapest kit you can get. (i got my trendnet kit for 40$)

the kit i use:

http://m.ncix.com/products/sku/81383

a completly identical set (except the outlet) but its currently on sale (40$)

http://m.ncix.com/products/sku/80858

it would also be interesting to get the kit from somewhere you can return it if you don t like it.

Hi!
Since I don't want to have my mining pc right next to me all the time I thought about placing the pc outside in a garage. Now I know that the temps are about the same as the one outside which are (-4*C -6*
C) and I do not want any condensation in the pc cause that would be bad.
Is this possible?

Pc1:  i5 3570k | GTX 680 stock | Kingston V300 256gb | Asrock Z77E-ITX | Silverstone Strider 550W | H80 w NF-P12 | Node 304
Pc2:  Q8200 | GTX 260 216C | 500gb 2.5" | 3tb 3.5" Asus P5N-D | Corsair HX 750W | Arctic Freezer 13 Limited edition | Nzxt H2

what if you were to put a space heater in the garage (besides the PC)

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I can't see it being bad. People liquid cool PC components with liquid nitrogen.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

what if you were to put a space heater in the garage (besides the PC)

Why would I do that?

The reason I want to put my all time working pc in the garage is because I dont want to hear the pc and get better temps because it's loud.

I can't see it being bad. People liquid cool PC components with liquid nitrogen.

So the condenstation wont hurt it?

Pc1:  i5 3570k | GTX 680 stock | Kingston V300 256gb | Asrock Z77E-ITX | Silverstone Strider 550W | H80 w NF-P12 | Node 304
Pc2:  Q8200 | GTX 260 216C | 500gb 2.5" | 3tb 3.5" Asus P5N-D | Corsair HX 750W | Arctic Freezer 13 Limited edition | Nzxt H2

I don't think it would be a problem, a mate of mine had one in his garage when he was building a caterham 7, he didn't seem to have trouble with it, you might get condensation on the outside if the case insides are warmer.

Hi!

Since I don't want to have my mining pc right next to me all the time I thought about placing the pc outside in a garage. Now I know that the temps are about the same as the one outside which are (-4*C -6*

C) and I do not want any condensation in the pc cause that would be bad.

Is this possible?

if its a mining rig i'm guessing its going to be on 24x7 (mostly) and its going too bee hot and loud most of the time so there shouldn't be any if its always running therefore always hot. 

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

There wont be any condensation as long as some heat can build up inside the case. Try to cover some vents with duct tape, and only let in the needed amount of air to keep the hardware within their operating temps.

-4*C -6*C Wow can i live there pls ,Sydney Aus summer is killing me xD ,my Pc hates heat like any 1 else .

On Topic i think some 1 with condensation experience is needed here ,i won't be able to add to it . not unless you put gip rock

up & so forth . Not 100% sure .Humidifier may be .??

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

I don't think it would be a problem, a mate of mine had one in his garage when he was building a caterham 7, he didn't seem to have trouble with it, you might get condensation on the outside if the case insides are warmer.

if its a mining rig i'm guessing its going to be on 24x7 (mostly) and its going too bee hot and loud most of the time so there shouldn't be any if its always running therefore always hot. 

There wont be any condensation as long as some heat can build up inside the case. Try to cover some vents with duct tape, and only let in the needed amount of air to keep the hardware within their operating temps.

And run dust filters

-4*C -6*C Wow can i live there pls ,Sydney Aus summer is killing me xD ,my Pc hates heat like any 1 else .

On Topic i think some 1 with condensation experience is needed here ,i won't be able to add to it . not unless you put gip rock

Hmm, so I think it may be okay but it would be good with an experienced user or professional opinion.

Nitrogen freezes at absolut zero temp (0Kelvin) and vaporizes at room temp. If I remember right, its about -60C when poured to components. This is completely different situation since normal water will be freezing and melting constantly in those temps. I've thought how to setup system in cold place but in much lower temps. The way to prevent icying and melting would be using fans to move air constantly and prevent temps raising hotter than -5C.

+5 to -5 is most annoying temps. Snow is constantly going from water to ice and back. Thank god we finally have proper winter here with -15C at day.

Edited by LoGiCalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Nitrogen freezes at absolut zero temp (0Kelvin) and vaporizes at room temp. If I remember right, its about -60C when poured to components. This is completely different situation since normal water will be freezing and melting constantly in those temps. I've thought how to setup system in cold place but in much lower temps. The way to prevent icying and melting would be using fans to move air constantly and prevent temps raising hotter than -5C.

+5 to -5 is most annoying temps. Snow is constantly going from water to ice and back. Thank god we finally have proper winter here with -15C at day.

Yep, the snow/water/ice thingy certainly is a annoyence.

Be careful what you wish for. Where I live this is the second time this year the weather channel has stated the weather here as "Life-threateningly cold".

Space is pretty awesome.

Well in these circumstances it changes the prospective a bit ,a lot actually . NewHopeTech ...

But here in Sydney Aus i can say we would all welcome @ least Winter ,these 40oC days have stopped for now tho will return. So you can see where im coming from. Id rather live in the swiss alps . - 7oC xD not realy  :) :) :)

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

Put it in a case and run dust filters.

If the components stay warm and there isnt large temp swings inside the case then it will be fine.

Put it in a case and run dust filters.

If the components stay warm and there isnt large temp swings inside the case then it will be fine.

Would a Cooler Master HAF X do the job?

Would a Cooler Master HAF X do the job?

Yeah. I see no reason why it wouldn't do just fine.

Update: 
Seems as the wifi connection is so bad it doesn't even discover it.

I can't change the position of the router so my only option is an extender of sorts, what kind do I need?

Update:

Seems as the wifi connection is so bad it doesn't even discover it.

I can't change the position of the router so my only option is an extender of sorts, what kind do I need?

get a wire if you can

500mbs powerline kit is the plan b.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

get a wire if you can

500mbs powerline kit is the plan b.

Why?

Is wif bad for mining?

First of all, for condensation, you need a cold component and warm moist air...do your glasses fog up when you walk outside or do they fog up when you walk inside?

That will be the exact opposite of what the conditions will be.  Your components will be warm, and the outside air is cold and dry...you have a better chance of moisture forming in the house.

Yes moisture is bad for components.  Liquid nitrogen is extremely cold, which makes the bowl they pour it into very cold...and causes condensation from the air on the bowl, it then drips onto the components which is bad.

Moving your rig to the garage will be fine.

Why?

Is wif bad for mining?

well you said you couldn t get signal and when mining you need the most reliable signal possible.

in my experience a cat5(best) is the most reliable.

then you can get either a powerline adapter if you can t use a real wire

or you could always get an access point closer to the garage but you need to use a wire , straight up repeaters are useless.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

First of all, for condensation, you need a cold component and warm moist air...do your glasses fog up when you walk outside or do they fog up when you walk inside?

That will be the exact opposite of what the conditions will be.  Your components will be warm, and the outside air is cold and dry...you have a better chance of moisture forming in the house.

Yes moisture is bad for components.  Liquid nitrogen is extremely cold, which makes the bowl they pour it into very cold...and causes condensation from the air on the bowl, it then drips onto the components which is bad.

Moving your rig to the garage will be fine.

Thanks for clearing that up!

well you said you couldn t get signal and when mining you need the most reliable signal possible.

in my experience a cat5(best) is the most reliable.

then you can get either a powerline adapter or you could always get an access point closer to your garage but you need to use a wire, straight up repeaters are useless but then you need a wireless card in your pc.

Funny thing you said that, I just bought a access point and I still can't get it to work :(

Going to get a cable, saw that you recommended cat5 but since my garage isn't connected to my house, how is it going to work outside?

Do I need a special cable or a cover for the cable so it doesn't get damaged?

Funny thing you said that, I just bought a access point and I still can't get it to work :(

Going to get a cable, saw that you recommended cat5 but since my garage isn't connected to my house, how is it going to work outside?

Do I need a special cable or a cover for the cable so it doesn't get damaged?

well if the garage isn t attached you could get the access point inside your house at the closest point to your garage.

if your garage is on the same breaker panel as your house, a powerline kit COULD work from inside your house to your garage(and you could put your ap there (at the end of the powerline)) if you need wifi while working on your car.

just be shure to put it on the same phase (side of the breaker panel).

or you can run your ethernet cable in a pvc pipe to your garage but that is a LOT more work but it s garanteed to work.

now about the AP you bought,

what brand is it and how did you configure it(is it a AP or a repurposed router diy style)?

well if the garage isn t attached you could get the access point inside your house at the closest point to your garage.

i m at work atm idk if some one else could give you advices till i finish in 4h...

Maybe I bought a crappy device but it would be better with a straight up cable.

Post when you have time, no worry :)