Windows 10 May 2019 Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes
21 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft is still working on polishing the OS to ensure a better experience to users as they upgrade

As long as they don't give us another Task Manager bug let them take their time until Avengers 8 comes out as far as I'm concerned. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

If it's coming in May shouldn't it be 1905 instead of 1903?  And when will they get back to actually being on time and not having tons of issues that delay it months past the scheduled launch?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

55 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If it's coming in May shouldn't it be 1905 instead of 1903?  And when will they get back to actually being on time and not having tons of issues that delay it months past the scheduled launch?

So far, the version number is still 1903.

If it were my guess, they porbably decided to have the version number indicate the year and month of when they draw the line of new features, and just focus on bug fixes/polish.

59 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

......i had no idea that's how they numbered their updates....i'm an idiot

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

......i had no idea that's how they numbered their updates....i'm an idiot

Well, you'd be forgiven seeing how they've lined up lately xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, you'd be forgiven seeing how they've lined up lately xD

im still on 1803 in terms of feature updates, wasn't there another one in there somewhere?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

im still on 1803 in terms of feature updates, wasn't there another one in there somewhere?

Yeah, 1809

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah, 1809

hmm. wonder why i never got it. oh well

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 updates:

1. Friendly date feature, where you can have dates in the Date column to be shown in text form ("December 12, 2018"  for example), will not make it on this version. Microsoft decided to move this feature to the following version of Windows 10.
  2. Microsoft is said to expect to release the update throwards the end of May. This is mostly to give more time to games to updates, and ensure that naturarly gamers would have their games updated and not have to worry about that when comes the time to update (late May, early June), and to give more time on fixes they have released for this update to get more testing.
  3. Microsoft has decided to not deprecate Microsoft Paint, and keep it part of Windows, at least for now.

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

3 updates:

1. Friendly date feature, where you can have dates in the Date column to be shown in text form ("December 12, 2018"  for example), will not make it on this version. Microsoft decided to move this feature to the following version of Windows 10.

What does that mean?  In what context?  I can only think of Excel but that doesn't make sense as it's not part of Windows

19 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

What does that mean?  In what context?  I can only think of Excel but that doesn't make sense as it's not part of Windows

Allow me to re-explain:

A new feature that was targeted for this coming up update was pulled from May update and will be placed on the following version. In File Explorer, when using Detail view, you had a new option to allow you to view dates in a friendly matter for the "Date modified" column. So instead of seeing: dd/mm/yyy (or mm/dd/yyyy or whatever format your region like to use which is often times confusing), it would allow you to see the month spelled out, then the day, and then the year if it is different from the current one. So instead of seeing 11/12/2011 or worst 11/12/11, would get "November 12, 2011" displayed.

Friendly-Names-Example.png

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

A new feature that was targeted for this coming up update was pulled from May update and will be placed on the following version. In File Explorer, when using Detail view, you had a new option to allow you to view dates in a friendly matter for the "Date modified" column. So instead of seeing: dd/mm/yyy (or mm/dd/yyyy or whatever format your region like to use which is often times confusing), it would allow you to see the month spelled out, then the day, and then the year if it is different from the current one. So instead of seeing 11/12/2011 or worst 11/12/11, would get "November 12, 2011" displayed.

Oh, I didn't think of that because I knew you can already change that by just changing your region settings.   I figured people would already do it that way.

18 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Allow me to re-explain:

Well damn. I was actually kinda looking forward to that. >:(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The number is for when they set things in stone and not when it gets released.

Talking about release, has RTM been officially released as ISO yet? Or when is it planned for public access one or the other way? I've usually gone with RTM builds on every release and it was fine, but can't seem to find any 1903 builds yet as official ISO...

I still think I don't have enough space for the upgrade.

I only have 29 GB

Won’t visit often..

Ok, so let's say I want this update early but don't want to become an insider, how can I do that?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

15 hours ago, RejZoR said:

The number is for when they set things in stone and not when it gets released.

Talking about release, has RTM been officially released as ISO yet? Or when is it planned for public access one or the other way? I've usually gone with RTM builds on every release and it was fine, but can't seem to find any 1903 builds yet as official ISO...

I believe it's available as an ISO through MSDN but like you I can't find a trace of it anywhere yet.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Ok, so let's say I want this update early but don't want to become an insider, how can I do that?

Considering the Update Assistant is telling me I am on the latest version, probably need to wait for official release, which apparently is at the end of the month. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

23 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

And when will they get back to actually being on time and not having tons of issues that delay it months past the scheduled launch?

When they realize that having 2 releases a year is just dumb and unnecessary...

15 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

As you mentioned, you need a MSDN subscription.

The only alternative, is join the Insider program, however, join the Release Preview ring, and opt out once the update is released (turn on the option "Stop getting preview builds" (the reverse state of the picture bellow)).

Capture.PNG.5d8ef4035f1a701a6552c00fdbbe07f8.PNG

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Click "check for updates". 

Microsoft has come out and said that if you manually check for updates, there is a risk that you will download updates which have yet to be released to the wider public yet. 

Their rational is that people who manually check for updates are those who "seek out new features as quickly as possible". 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Microsoft has come out and said that if you manually check for updates, there is a risk that you will download updates which have yet to be released to the wider public yet. 

Their rational is that people who manually check for updates are those who "seek out new features as quickly as possible". 

That will not work for not yet released feature update.

In a nutshell, all you need to know:

-3x more spyware

-2x more data collection for sale to whatever 3rd party will pay for it

-100% chance of additional crapware installation and additional unnecessary/ridiculous background services

-90% chance all settings/preferences/customizations are reset/removed/hidden/locked down

-50% chance of your data being deleted/corrupted

-75% chance of drivers being broken rendering your hardware useless

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

46 minutes ago, Hellion said:

In a nutshell, all you need to know:

-3x more spyware

-2x more data collection for sale to whatever 3rd party will pay for it

-100% chance of additional crapware installation and additional unnecessary/ridiculous background services

-90% chance all settings/preferences/customizations are reset/removed/hidden/locked down

-50% chance of your data being deleted/corrupted

-75% chance of drivers being broken rendering your hardware useless

Im sure these are negatives right? -3x, -100%

✨FNIGE✨

On 5/5/2019 at 1:23 AM, LAwLz said:

Yeah, I seek out to get final version as soon as possible... not some half tested one...