Windows 10 May 2019 Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes
2 hours ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

I wish the Windows Sandbox thing was for everyone not just pro users. That's the only feature I like.

Yea, 'cause uses Hyper-V, which is one of the few features unique to the Pro edition

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

No, only if you clean install Windows 10, if I am not mistaken.

Everyone on Light Theme, will be set to mix theme option, where the Task Bar/StartMenu/Notification Bar will remain black and File Explorer white.

Can I change my cursor color in the non-pro editions?

Won’t visit often..

3 minutes ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

Can I change my cursor color in the non-pro editions?

Yes

Some good ones so far:

- Auto-rollback is good to have

- separate Cortana from search even though I had it killed 

- sandbox environment is a great addition for sure

- basic office finally along with Windows even though it's the web based one at least there will be included free version for people.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

i did use some app that barnacules told in a video 2 years ago, bui that was 2 years ago, there have been so many updates since that should have reset it, i've tried all sorts of reset using cmdline, reg edits and img scans. if i set it to spot light it just shows the default lock screen. 

:sigh: I hate that guy. The miss information he spread, and the problem he creates to so many people. Well, congrats to him, he got lots of views and subscibers. Now, I and others have to clean up the shit he created. Anyways,

The problem you are facing is that since then, there were severtal changes on the layout of Spotlight works on the system. Menaing registry key changes and so on. I know this because I worked on a utility which I eventually plan to make open source, which takes the current Spotlight picture and makes it your wallpaper. During its developement it stop working twice as registry changes occured. I just looked on how to get the current picture, now the GPOs and other settings. So now, finding tutorials to revert will be difficult, you'll need to find one that is recent, tested to actually works.

All seems a bit Meh to me...Still waiting for tabs for explorer. last update broke clover too. :(

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

I'm just gonna wait for a bit more so more fixes are made to each new update.

Also, if you are looking for cheap Win10 Pro keys I can confirm that https://vip-scdkey.com works

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just now, firelighter487 said:

@GoodBytescould you clarify wether enabling the sandbox feature will cause vmware to stop working? 

Don't worry, VirtualBox and VMWare will continue to work for sure.

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Don't worry, VirtualBox and VMWare will continue to work for sure.

how do you know? if it requires hyper-v how could it continue to work?

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

how do you know? if it requires hyper-v how could it continue to work?

We've talked about this likea page back. Hyper-V supervisor can only be one, but you can have many more under it (imagine it as one master supervisor and several slave supervisors underneath it (supervisor nesting). Usually it's required to have CPU capable of all virtualization gimmicks. Which basically all have for ages. I also know it works from my experience (avast! uses HyperV and still allows other virtualization apps at the same time). Microsoft can't afford blocking competition either for legal reasons, even if they are "technical". It'll work.

This is a constantly updating version of windows for years now. Should it really be called windows 10. It's not fixed release with a new is every 2 years.

Shouldn't it just be called windows with the current build bring the version? 

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

50 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

@GoodBytescould you clarify wether enabling the sandbox feature will cause vmware to stop working? 

If I enable sandbox feature without Hyper-V, I am unable to start a VM in VMWare Workstation Pro 15. I get the following error.

241604286_Annotation2019-04-01090637.png.102a2e0d5cf6e3fd27e083b741f3c923.png

But if you are using a VM software already, can't you make one running Windows, and create a save state before doing anything and restore to it when done?

15 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

@GoodBytes maybe, but if you leave it on for too long you get the stupid activate Windows now prompts. 

Same under sandbox.

Good thing I have a reasonably light install so that clean installing this won't be a total bitch. Sure do hope it doesn't fuck my file server in the ass like the 1709 and 1809 updates both managed to do. I really don't want to deal with getting that thing set up again since it's somehow more of a pain than my main machine.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

22 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Same under sandbox.

really? it doesn't use your Win 10 Pro activation? that's stupid... 

She/Her

I'm not going to do clean install 

I'm just going to update it through Windows update.

Or should I use clean install?

Won’t visit often..

8 minutes ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

I'm not going to do clean install 

I'm just going to update it through Windows update.

Or should I use clean install?

It is up to you. If you are facing problem now, then probably theyll be carried over. So depending on the problem, you can either make a new account and transfer everything over, and then delete the old account. Or, clean install Windows with this new version when it comes out.

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It is up to you. If you are facing problem now, then probably theyll be carried over. So depending on the problem, you can either make a new account and transfer everything over, and then delete the old account. Or, clean install Windows with this new version when it comes out.

I'm not really having any problems, so I'll stick with updating

Won’t visit often..

On 4/1/2019 at 5:31 AM, GoodBytes said:

:sigh: I hate that guy. The miss information he spread, and the problem he creates to so many people. Well, congrats to him, he got lots of views and subscibers. Now, I and others have to clean up the shit he created. Anyways,

The problem you are facing is that since then, there were severtal changes on the layout of Spotlight works on the system. Menaing registry key changes and so on. I know this because I worked on a utility which I eventually plan to make open source, which takes the current Spotlight picture and makes it your wallpaper. During its developement it stop working twice as registry changes occured. I just looked on how to get the current picture, now the GPOs and other settings. So now, finding tutorials to revert will be difficult, you'll need to find one that is recent, tested to actually works.

I've tried many over the years and gave up. None of them actually work,. Even if I search now all the results will be ancient as there are tons of Windows feature updates that have come after. Even if you reinstall Windows it still Wouldn't work I think. 

If by chance if you find some for Oct update, please let me know. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Update

The update name is actually called: May 2019 Update, Microsoft officially annonced the update name today. Previously, I (and just about all news sources) called it "April 2019 Update" which was beleived to be the offiical name due to past trends and name found in the OS builds under the Insider program.

Microsoft said, that they don't want to rush release the update, and take better advantage of the Release Preview ring by deliver final version that is expected to be shared with everyone to them first. Microsoft said to expect an update for those on the Release Preview ring starting next week.

Microsoft also would like to share a new feature that people will get to enjoy once you are on it.

A bit more control on updates:

105099895_Annotation2019-04-04131522.png.0dfd74f847341337400c1cdaf77f2186.png

You can now difer Feature updates until end of support, and still get security updates in the mean time.

So if you are not ready to get the latest version of Windows, you can wait, and install it when you are ready (or be forced update if you just ignore it once support for current version you are on expires).

Microsoft also confirms the ability to pause updates for up to 35 days for Windows Home users.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/4/18294944/microsoft-windows-10-may-2019-update-features-availability-control-updates

Just glad to be able to uninstall useless things I don't use