Gigabyte SATA problems

Having some issue with the GSATA ports on my Gigabyte X58A-UD3R - the white ones which I gather are on a separate controller: the machine is frequently crashing when loading Windows 10 Pro 64 and when in Windows whenever my boot SSD is plugged into one of those. I've tried changing to AHCI mode in the BIOS but the machine simply fails to boot from the SSD at all then. I'm running a 920 and 6x4GB RAM. The machine seems to run fine when the blue ordinary SATA ports are used.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on here?

4 minutes ago, DDebbil said:

I've tried changing to AHCI mode in the BIOS but the machine simply fails to boot from the SSD at all then

You have to re-install Windows when the SATA-ports are in AHCI-mode. Also, yes, you should always use AHCI, whenever possible.

Why your Windows crashes, I have no idea.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Well, changing to ACHI does seem to have fixed the problem (pending some stability testing).

There is one more odd issue though: during POST, there is the option to press F12 to bring up the boot menu. In order to install Windows from my USB drive I needed to do this, but I've found that if I press it before the AHCI SATA devices have started to load, the system hangs and restarts. If I wait until the AHCI SATA devices have started to load and then press F12, it will then give me the boot menu.

Does anyone know what might be causing that?