BSOD when playing demanding games

NexusChild
Go to solution Solved by NexusChild,

I ran a new memtest86 over night, i had to buy the plus version otherwise it would only run 4 times. The longer the program went on, the more errors i got. I couldnt see the errors running only 4 times since it was apparantly stable then, but got unstable after some time.

After that i decided to send in my broken ram and got new ones today, i tested it and still crashed. But atleast i didnt get a BSOD anymore. This time i reinstalled my graphics drivers and didnt install the HD Audio drivers that come with it and that solved the problem.

TLDR:

One faulty ram that only showed issues under high load and audio drivers that caused trouble.

Hi,

I get BSOD but only with intensive games (ex GTA 5). Brand new computer (except for a used graphics card). Memory settings was originally 2666Mhz but with the default settings 2133Mhz which made it more stable but still crashes. The problem was solved when i removed one memory stick, but it doesnt matter which one (only tried playing 45-50mins tho)

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit (not activated), Desktop 

CPU: Intel Core i7 9700k

MOBO: Asus Rog Strix Z390-F Gaming (BIOS version 0903 latest version)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb 2666Mhz

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X (bought used, latest drivers)

PSU: Corsair HX1200 1200W

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB boot drive

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB storage drive

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (5 years old) storage drive.

I can play without problems for about 15-30min and then it crashes, one of the error messages i get is "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT", i dont know all of them since the restart is so fast i dont have time to photograph it. I've run several tests, 3DMark, memtest86, sfc scannow, cinebench, velley benchmark, with no problems. I usually run MSI Afterburner while gaming and i get low temps, 40-50C under load on CPU and 60C on GPU. I have tested without running MSI Afterburner and it still crashes.

I decided to update my BIOS driver today from 0702 to the latest 0903 but to no avail, however when i first booted with the new BIOS drivers it told me:

''After setting up Intel(R) Optane Memory or the RAID configuration was built. SATA Mode Selection must be changed to RAID mode to avoid unknown issues.'' But then it gave me a BSOD which said INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DRIVE so i changed it back to AHCI and then i could boot normally. The new BSOD i got today after "gaming-test" was "Critical_Process_Died".

Sorry for long post.

Minidump.rar

Edited by NexusChild
I corrected from 2600Mhz to 2666Mhz

10 minutes ago, NexusChild said:

Hi,

I get BSOD but only with intensive games (ex GTA 5). Brand new computer (except for a used graphics card). Memory settings was originally 2600Mhz but with the default settings 2133Mhz which made it more stable but still crashes. The problem was solved when i removed one memory stick, but it doesnt matter which one (only tried playing 45-50mins tho)

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit (not activated), Desktop 

CPU: Intel Core i7 9700k

MOBO: Asus Rog Strix Z390-F Gaming (BIOS version 0903 latest version)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb 2600Mhz

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X (bought used, latest drivers)

PSU: Corsair HX1200 1200W

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB boot drive

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB storage drive

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (5 years old) storage drive.

I can play without problems for about 15-30min and then it crashes, one of the error messages i get is "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT", i dont know all of them since the restart is so fast i dont have time to photograph it. I've run several tests, 3DMark, memtest86, sfc scannow, cinebench, velley benchmark, with no problems. I usually run MSI Afterburner while gaming and i get low temps, 40-50C under load on CPU and 60C on GPU. I have tested without running MSI Afterburner and it still crashes.

I decided to update my BIOS driver today from 0702 to the latest 0903 but to no avail, however when i first booted with the new BIOS drivers it told me:

''After setting up Intel(R) Optane Memory or the RAID configuration was built. SATA Mode Selection must be changed to RAID mode to avoid unknown issues.'' But then it gave me a BSOD which said INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DRIVE so i changed it back to AHCI and then i could boot normally. The new BSOD i got today after "gaming-test" was "Critical_Process_Died".

Sorry for long post.

Minidump.rar

1200 watt PSU, Is this a nuclear central PC ? xD

Anyway, hey is there any overclock settings ? Turn it back all to defaults. IF already done, try new RAM.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

1 hour ago, gbergeron said:

1200 watt PSU, Is this a nuclear central PC ? xD

Anyway, hey is there any overclock settings ? Turn it back all to defaults. IF already done, try new RAM.

I was going to buy a 1000 watt Gold PSU for future purposes, but then i saw a deal on a 1200 watt Platinum PSU and with the sale it was even cheaper than the first one so i thought, why not? xD

I dont have any overclock settings, it was on XMP 2 setting at first but then i changed it to default. I have 4x2gb (8gb) ram but my current ram is DDR4 and my old one is DDR3 so i dont think it will fit.

Hmm.. Windows isn't activated? Could that possibly be because you upgraded the system components without a fresh install of Windows 10?

If that's the case, the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error could be resolved by a fresh install. (It's a very common problem according to Microsoft community forum)

1 hour ago, MindServ said:

Hmm.. Windows isn't activated? Could that possibly be because you upgraded the system components without a fresh install of Windows 10?

If that's the case, the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error could be resolved by a fresh install. (It's a very common problem according to Microsoft community forum)

My new computer (all new parts, only took hdd from old comp) didnt come with windows. So i had to get a fresh install of Windows 10 (i got it from Microsofts website), but i dont have a code etc. I was thinking about buying it, but by the time i was going to, the price rocketed and i didnt feel like buying it anymore.

I'm thinking about doing a fresh install of windows 10 anyway to see if that has any effect, but i want to wait a bit before i do. 

39 minutes ago, NexusChild said:

My new computer (all new parts, only took hdd from old comp) didnt come with windows. So i had to get a fresh install of Windows 10 (i got it from Microsofts website), but i dont have a code etc. I was thinking about buying it, but by the time i was going to, the price rocketed and i didnt feel like buying it anymore.

I'm thinking about doing a fresh install of windows 10 anyway to see if that has any effect, but i want to wait a bit before i do. 

Ah, ok! Could otherwise have been an easy solution!

Anyhow, a fresh install could still be worth a try :)

UPDATE:

I checked bios and the Dram volt was on 1.191, when it should be on 1.2 so i changed it to 1.2. I read about Multicore enhancement being the cause of problems so i disabled it (i also disabled fastboot). I then tried playing again and after 40mins, the game crashed. But this time i didnt recieve a blue screen. So i'm guessing it went more stable (GTA 5).

I then checked my drives for errors and i found an error in my C drive which i then repaired (i think). Then i tried to play another intensive game (Resident Evil 2) and after a couple of minutes the game crashed and i got a bluescreen FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE. I checked online for info and a couple said i needed the latest Intel Management Engine Interface (i'm not sure if i got the right driver tho), so i downloaded and installed it. But i'm not sure if it did anything. I then discovered that i had fastboot on in windows (i thought i had removed it already), so i disabled it.

I also started up Windows Memtest and i got this.

2019-04-03 Windows Error Reporting

Fel-bucket 7804986, typ 5

Händelsenamn: MemDiagV1

Svar: Inte tillgänglig

Kabinett-ID: 0

Problemsignatur:

P1: 4097

P2: Manual

P3: Immediate

P4: Pass

P5: Standard

P6: 0

P7: 0

P8: 1830

P9:

P10:

Bifogade filer:

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER52C7.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

Filerna kan vara tillgängliga här:

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\NonCritical_4097_d2caaa4e9be59685c1ad36eb86dba699ba28d5_00000000_18d15632

Analyssymbol:

Kontrollerar lösning igen: 0

Rapport-ID: 28686d5b-44d7-4c05-82c1-ade42e506a8c

Rapportstatus: 268435552

Hash-bucket: b0604340f56e44bb65cc301db6a93c99

Cab-GUID: 0

Next one:

Fel-bucket , typ 0

Händelsenamn: MemDiagV1

Svar: Inte tillgänglig

Kabinett-ID: 0

Problemsignatur:

P1: 4097

P2: Manual

P3: Immediate

P4: Pass

P5: Standard

P6: 0

P7: 0

P8: 1830

P9:

P10:

Bifogade filer:

Filerna kan vara tillgängliga här:

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_4097_d2caaa4e9be59685c1ad36eb86dba699ba28d5_00000000_059152b8

Analyssymbol:

Kontrollerar lösning igen: 0

Rapport-ID: 28686d5b-44d7-4c05-82c1-ade42e506a8c

Rapportstatus: 100

Hash-bucket:

Cab-GUID: 0

Is my ram faulty?

EDIT:

I would like to add that i searched info on my ram and people have said that even though on the website (where i bought it from) it said that the ram should be 2666Mhz, the bios puts it on 2133 and that if i wanted to put it on 2666Mhz i should give it more voltage than it said it needed (1.2 volts).

They also had the same problem (worked perfectly when they only had one ram in, but problems started when they had 2). So i think the ram is sensitive when it comes to volts, but i just wanted it stable so i put it on 2133Mhz.

Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666Mhz CL16 Vengeance

EDIT 2:

I updated windows (KB4490481), changed dram volt to 1.21 and then tried playing GTA 5 and this time it crashed after a couple of minutes and i got a new bluescreen code Kernel_Security_Check_Failure

Minidump2.rar

UPDATE 2:

I reinstalled windows (i formatted all my drives), downloaded all windows updates, only installed graphics drivers, steam, defraggler, ccleaner, chrome and the game gta 5. This time i can play for about 5-8min and then i get horrible fps drops (180 in certain areas and then it drops for a sec to 130, then it goes back up). The longer i play, the worse it gets, more frequent drops and even higher drops (the area i'm testing is by the docks). Then i got a BSOD "Kernel_Security_Check_Failure". 

I had a driver problem with my "FiiO - E10K Olympus USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier" which caused a problem where my usb connections would not connect until about 5-7 sec after login screen popped up. But i reinstalled the driver and then it worked.

I tried removing my dac, downloaded realtek drivers from asus website and then tried playing again. But nothing changed.

I'm going to try memtest86 again but try running it over night and see if it can find anything, i'm starting to run out of options (i didnt have much options to begin with since i'm a newb).

• 3 weeks later...

I ran a new memtest86 over night, i had to buy the plus version otherwise it would only run 4 times. The longer the program went on, the more errors i got. I couldnt see the errors running only 4 times since it was apparantly stable then, but got unstable after some time.

After that i decided to send in my broken ram and got new ones today, i tested it and still crashed. But atleast i didnt get a BSOD anymore. This time i reinstalled my graphics drivers and didnt install the HD Audio drivers that come with it and that solved the problem.

TLDR:

One faulty ram that only showed issues under high load and audio drivers that caused trouble.