PC turns off suddenly and then wont turn on!

Nathan The Neko
Go to solution Solved by MindServ,
1 minute ago, Nathan The Neko said:

Yea. This psu came with the case and served me for some years. Ill try to get a cougar or evga.

You got some good years out of it anyway! 

Perhaps it's time for the electronics graveyard now..

Hope you get it sorted out anyhow! :)

So I was playing on my desktop the other day, then it suddenly shuts down. It was running tf2 at the preparation scene. it also shut down 2 times before but was still able to start. Tried removing and reinserting ram, checked PSU but no luck.

SPECS

- MSI Military Motherboard

- AMD A8000 APU 3.4Ghz

- 8gb Ram

- 500gb HDD

- Radeon RX550

- SUPER COOL atx power supply 750Watt

Edited by Nathan The Neko
Specs

Neko52

I don't kinda remember the specs, but it happened once I updated it to windows 10.

Btw I tested the gpu on a different computer and it worked fine. Its a Radeon RX550

Neko52

8 minutes ago, Nathan The Neko said:

I don't kinda remember the specs, but it happened once I updated it to windows 10.

it could be anything in that case. play with your gpu in another pc for awhile and see if the problem persists, if not then it's not the gpu.

32 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

If you don't know, we don't either.

It could be windows, try reinstalling.

It could be power, try a UPS Backup battery or a surge protector. 

It could be PSU issue when under full load of the GPU and CPU (for example, in games)

Other than that, given the information you've provided... there's not much more to say. 

I already use a ups

Can't reinstall windows since it wont start

PSU is fine

I'll check the specs tomorrow

All I know is that it runs on amd and has a military motherboard

Neko52

1 minute ago, jonrosalia said:

does it do anything at all lights fan spin or just dead dead?

You know the ethernet light at the back? where you connect the ethernet cable, once I turn on the ups it also lights up. but the pc just wont start... btw not ethernet cable is connected to it. No fans spin or other light thou

Neko52

does you board have onboard graphics where you can plug into them and take the GPU out of the mix just to see if you can get it to boot at all? also if you have more than 1 of the ram slots populated I would take them out and try to run just the main slot #1 first to see if a ram issue is keeping it from posting and use a few different sticks in case one died or a slot died.

does you board have onboard graphics where you can plug into them and take the GPU out of the mix just to see if you can get it to boot at all? also if you have more than 1 of the ram slots populated I would take them out and try to run just the main slot #1 first to see if a ram issue is keeping it from posting and use a few different sticks in case one died or a slot died.

Tried all of that before, no luck.

Neko52

to me that points to a dead motherboard unfortunately if the psu is good and you tried all the rest of these steps that's really the only other thing that I can think of that could keep you from at least getting something out of it.

to me that points to a dead motherboard unfortunately if the psu is good and you tried all the rest of these steps that's really the only other thing that I can think of that could keep you from at least getting something out of it.

The orange ethernet light is on. its a good sign.

Neko52

So, if I get this right, no fans are spinning? That sound like the motherboard isn't too happy...

Sometimes a simple BIOS reset could do the trick, but doubtful in this case I guess.
Or it could still be the PSU, have you tried it in another system with similar power needs?

The orange Ethernet light usually relies on very basic motherboard and NIC features, I have found that it almost always comes on unless the board is totally fried. (I mean like fire and smoke fried!)

1 minute ago, MindServ said:

So, if I get this right, no fans are spinning? That sound like the motherboard isn't too happy...

Sometimes a simple BIOS reset could do the trick, but doubtful in this case I guess.
Or it could still be the PSU, have you tried it in another system with similar power needs?

The orange Ethernet light usually relies on vary basic motherboard and NIC features, I have found that it almost always comes on unless the board is totally fried. (I mean like fire and smoke fried!)

I have no other computer to test the psu on. not really sure if its the psu thou, I read other articles that it could be ram. but when it turned off, I smelled something weird. metal I think, but when I went to check the motherboard and sniffed the psu and case there was nothing.

Neko52

I have no other computer to test the psu on. not really sure if its the psu thou, I read other articles that it could be ram. but when it turned off, I smelled something weird. metal I think, but when I went to check the motherboard and sniffed the psu and case there was nothing.

Ah, ok! Kinda hard to figure it out without verifying the condition of the PSU to begin with.
I actually had a similar problem a few years ago and it was the PSU, usually when the magic smoke escapes, it's the PSU that lets it out!

You could try to run the system with as few components as possible an see if it boots up. Like just the motherboard, CPU and RAM. If the fans start spinning, it's either a weak (or broken) PSU or one of the removed components that are unhappy.

Also, a broken CPU can do this to the system.. Though it's not very common for at CPU to just die like that.

I would anyhow try another PSU.

Since it could be a broken PSU, I wouldn't leave it plugged in due to the the fire hazard!

6 hours ago, MindServ said:

Ah, ok! Kinda hard to figure it out without verifying the condition of the PSU to begin with.
I actually had a similar problem a few years ago and it was the PSU, usually when the magic smoke escapes, it's the PSU that lets it out!

You could try to run the system with as few components as possible an see if it boots up. Like just the motherboard, CPU and RAM. If the fans start spinning, it's either a weak (or broken) PSU or one of the removed components that are unhappy.

Also, a broken CPU can do this to the system.. Though it's not very common for at CPU to just die like that.

I would anyhow try another PSU.

Since it could be a broken PSU, I wouldn't leave it plugged in due to the the fire hazard!

It was left plugged in for quite a while now, nothing happened. I tested both ram sticks awhile ago one by one, nothing happened. I think the psu could be the target.

Neko52

If testing it, do I need to remove the video card as well? I have an APU anyways

Neko52

Cleaned out some dirt from the PSU and sniffed it again. no smell, I wonder where it even came from.

Neko52

6 minutes ago, Nathan The Neko said:

If testing it, do I need to remove the video card as well? I have an APU anyways

Yes, you should remove the GPU too if you can, best to start out with the bare minimum.

The PSU could have fried something inside and don't smell that much, or nothing at all for that matter.

What PSU brand is it btw?

18 minutes ago, MindServ said:

Yes, you should remove the GPU too if you can, best to start out with the bare minimum.

The PSU could have fried something inside and don't smell that much, or nothing at all for that matter.

What PSU brand is it btw?

SUPER COOL atx switching psu 750Watt

Neko52

Just now, Nathan The Neko said:

SUPER COOL atx switching psu 750Watt

Well that's not a brand I'm familiar with.

If it's not a name brand PSU it could be of not so good quality (not necessarily though of course) and that makes me suspect it as the faulty component.. (since that's kinda common with less known PSU brands)

I would recommend a Seasonic, Corsair or EVGA PSU. Almost all of their products are pretty good, though I would still not go for the cheapest ones.

Well that's not a brand I'm familiar with.

If it's not a name brand PSU it could be of not so good quality (not necessarily though of course) and that makes me suspect it as the faulty component.. (since that's kinda common with less known PSU brands)

I would recommend a Seasonic, Corsair or EVGA PSU. Almost all of their products are pretty good, though I would still not go for the cheapest ones.

Yea. This psu came with the case and served me for some years. Ill try to get a cougar or evga.

Neko52

Thanks for the help

Neko52

Ill bring it to the repair shop first to make sure its the psu. Thanks!

Neko52