Fast enough usb-hub for gaming peripherals

BouncyChillups

Hi guys,

I almost completed my setup, revamped everything from monitors, audio to the peripherals.

I'm pretty happy with them if it weren't for the fact, that I need a keyboard, mouse, mousepad, graphic tablet and additonal wireless mouse for productivity tasks.

Although I get by with the usb ports on my pc, I'm looking for an option where I can clean up the whole thing a bit.

The first solution that came to mind was using an usb hub to route the cables from my keyboard (2 plugs), mouse, wireless mouse, graphics tablet and mousepad (all 1 plug) into an usb hub and mount it under the desk with some cable management. 

The only thing I fear is if there will be some sort of input lag or delay. Maybe I'm a little bit suspicious cause back in the day usb hubs were the absolute worst thing with random ejections, failures and very slow speeds.

Is it feasible to use an usb hub for my peripherals without significant input lag? If yes, does it have to be a powered one or is a regular one ok? It doesn't really matter how much it costs, after all usb hubs wont be a hundred bucks, as long as it works flawlessly.

Would really appreciate some input (haha) from your side.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, PleasantChaos said:

Hi guys,

I almost completed my setup, revamped everything from monitors, audio to the peripherals.

I'm pretty happy with them if it weren't for the fact, that I need a keyboard, mouse, mousepad, graphic tablet and additonal wireless mouse for productivity tasks.

Although I get by with the usb ports on my pc, I'm looking for an option where I can clean up the whole thing a bit.

The first solution that came to mind was using an usb hub to route the cables from my keyboard (2 plugs), mouse, wireless mouse, graphics tablet and mousepad (all 1 plug) into an usb hub and mount it under the desk with some cable management. 

The only thing I fear is if there will be some sort of input lag or delay. Maybe I'm a little bit suspicious cause back in the day usb hubs were the absolute worst thing with random ejections, failures and very slow speeds.

Is it feasible to use an usb hub for my peripherals without significant input lag? If yes, does it have to be a powered one or is a regular one ok? It doesn't really matter how much it costs, after all usb hubs wont be a hundred bucks, as long as it works flawlessly.

Would really appreciate some input (haha) from your side.

Cheers

Such a detailed post about such a simple thing LOL.  As long as the USB hub is connected to a USB 3.0 port on your motherboard there will be zero input lag.  You can connect your wirelsss mouse or joystick or things of that nature.  Some system have instabilities when connected a hub to a port on the motherboard, but as long as your PC is pretty recent your good to go.  The only way you can run into any sort of problem is if the USB port on the motherboard is sketchy and drivers or OS is causing problems.  But as I said so long as it is a pretty recent motherboard and the hub is connected to a usb 3.0 port you should be set and good to go.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

Such a detailed post about such a simple thing LOL.  As long as the USB hub is connected to a USB 3.0 port on your motherboard there will be zero input lag.  You can connect your wirelsss mouse or joystick or things of that nature.  Some system have instabilities when connected a hub to a port on the motherboard, but as long as your PC is pretty recent your good to go.  The only way you can run into any sort of problem is if the USB port on the motherboard is sketchy and drivers or OS is causing problems.  But as I said so long as it is a pretty recent motherboard and the hub is connected to a usb 3.0 port you should be set and good to go.

Yeah, I really tend to overcomplicate things lol

thanks for your help!

My pc is from last year, x370 motherboard from MSI with two usb 3.1 ports, so that should be fine right?

Also, is a powered one better? Found one that looks pretty sweet from Anker with a detachable cable and power plug.

Any USB 2.0 hub or later would be fine.  I would recommend a powered one (one with an external power brick).  Will greatly reduce changes of hub being underpowered and devices having their power cut.

Your keyboard and mouse are probably limited to 2.0 or 1.1 data rates anyways.

I've never had much luck with USB hubs personally, especially USB 3.0.

The only ones I found reliable were some old Belkin powered USB 2.0 ones (ironically as I found a lot of their products crap) which I still use today to hook up my keyboard and mouse.  Definitely don't risk the cheap ones off eBay, they always seem to stop working after a few months or so.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7