Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReggieGRS

PSU died or entire system?

Posted · Original PosterOP

okay, i got a problem. several of 'em, in fact. So my new build was/is acting up.

I'm utilizing 2 hubs for 8 rgb fans. Fire up software to customize it

realized only 3 of the 8 fans were responding to the settings i was changing

all of 'em were spinning but sometimes the software would spit out controller errors

the rest stayed on a default lighting pattern maybe i forgot to plug something on one controller i thought to myself

went to pop off the panel but was having a little issue taking it off so the case shook a little bit and PC immediately shuts down

now it won't turn on again check the 24pin and 8pin, all good still won't turn on, took a deep breath, removed all the cables

undid nearly all the cable management left only psu and mobo. nothing. FIrst, just flipping the switch on the psu would

make the mobo light up. Now it doesn't light up even when using power button on case. all's dark.

I suspect my psu is dead and perhaps took and/or damaged something

why i think that? system was having issues booting from the get go

things would light up, spin for a few secs, then go dark

trying power on again sometimes would boot as if nothing was wrong

and my gpu, when the system was working, the gpu fans were... weird.

sometimes 1 out of the 3 fans would spin, sometimes some or all were completely still

and occasionally i could see the ones not spinning trying to spin and somehow not being able to which i thought was

a power issue. altho, at the same time, the rgb and panel on the gpu were light up

and showing clock speed and temps and stuff. so... thoughts?

I won't be doing anything right now. will troubleshoot another day

i just spent an ENTIRE afternoon trying to get the system problem free

and it was one failure after another so i need a break from it

so if you please, post your suggestion and ideas of what could be the issue

and when i can i will try it out

First time building it myself is being quite a nightmare, btw. Worse than i thought.

If this keeps up, will probably be my last.

Edit: sorry, forgot the obvious, RM850i, Rampage V Edition 10

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

22 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

okay, i got a problem. several of 'em, in fact. So my new build was/is acting up.

I'm utilizing 2 hubs for 8 rgb fans. Fire up software to customize it

realized only 3 of the 8 fans were responding to the settings i was changing

all of 'em were spinning but sometimes the software would spit out controller errors

the rest stayed on a default lighting pattern maybe i forgot to plug something on one controller i thought to myself

went to pop off the panel but was having a little issue taking it off so the case shook a little bit and PC immediately shuts down

now it won't turn on again check the 24pin and 8pin, all good still won't turn on, took a deep breath, removed all the cables

undid nearly all the cable management left only psu and mobo. nothing. FIrst, just flipping the switch on the psu would

make the mobo light up. Now it doesn't light up even when using power button on case. all's dark.

I suspect my psu is dead and perhaps took and/or damaged something

why i think that? system was having issues booting from the get go

sometimes 1 out of the 3 fans would spin, sometimes some or all were completely still

and occasionally i could see the ones not spinning trying to spin and somehow not being able to which i thought was

a power issue. altho, at the same time, the rgb and panel on the gpu were light up

and showing clock speed and temps and stuff. so... thoughts?

I won't be doing anything right now. will troubleshoot another day

i just spent an ENTIRE afternoon trying to get the system problem free

and it was one failure after another so i need a break from it

so if you please, post your suggestion and ideas of what could be the issue

and when i can i will try it out

First time building it myself is being quite a nightmare, btw. Worse than i thought.

If this keeps up, will probably be my last.

Edit: sorry, forgot the obvious, RM850i, Rampage V Edition 10

Dont really know how to help but the gpu fans only spin when they need to. On idle only 1 my 1060's 2 fans spin. In game both spin. Im guessing thats to keep the noise down as much as possible for gpu's.

13 minutes ago, Smiles4Miles said:

gpu fans only spin when they need to

I'm aware of that i just found strange that they seemed confused on "should i spin or not?" and the fact i often caught them sort of trying to start spinning but giving up half way through. I thought the spinning only when needed thing was either "spin" or "not spin" not a mixture of both. Plus the temps at 44-47c. So i didn't found a plausible reason for it as not even my 1070 spins at that temp. Only after 50c.

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

28 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Can you paper clip the PSU just in case?

The RMi won't spin its fan until after a certain load, so how do i...?

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

17 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

Doesn't that PSU have a built in test button?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/rmi-series-config/p/CP-9020083-NA

It's on the front of the PSU were the cables plug in, push it and see if it works.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ACER Predator 27", HYPERX Alloy Elite KB, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Seasonic Prime Titanium Ultra 750W. 

NEW PSU Tier List      MB Tier List

41 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

Plug a fan into a Molex.

@Ankerson

Had forgotten about fan test button. It is working. Even with the switch off, if i press the fan test button, the psu fan spins.

@jonnyGURU

Tried plugging one of the fans to the PSU it did not spin or lighted up.

I think that is normal cuz when it was working, the fans would only spin or light

up when the whole system was actually powered on. No?

I asked a guy to check the PSU with a multimeter. According to him

The PSU is defective. The device was beeping as he poked the psu with the thing.

He said the fan test worked cuz the fan is on a "different system" or something.

But the actual psu is defective. What are your thoughts on this?

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

Contact Corsair and start the RMA process.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ACER Predator 27", HYPERX Alloy Elite KB, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Seasonic Prime Titanium Ultra 750W. 

3 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Contact Corsair and start the RMA process.

Mean you believe the PSU is no good? Can you explain why? I was thinking the board was dead actually after some thinking. I had 8 rgb fans installed and the my belief was that they killed the board.

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

27 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

@jonnyGURU

Tried plugging one of the fans to the PSU it did not spin or lighted up.

I think that is normal cuz when it was working, the fans would only spin or light

up when the whole system was actually powered on. No?

No.  Only if the fans were plugged into the motherboard or a fan controller.  If the fans are plugged into the PSU, they should spin all the time as long as they're receiving +12V.

27 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

I asked a guy to check the PSU with a multimeter. According to him

The PSU is defective. The device was beeping as he poked the psu with the thing.

He said the fan test worked cuz the fan is on a "different system" or something.

But the actual psu is defective. What are your thoughts on this?

I don't know who "the guy" was or why his device would be beeping when poking a PSU.  (Usually a DMM will beep to tell you it's getting a reading.. not when it's not getting a reading).  

The fan test is not on a "different system".  The fan still needs +12V to go through the fan controller in order to spin the fan and I can tell you there isn't a completely separate +12V power supply inside that unit designed just to spin the fan when the fan test button is pressed.

2 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

Mean you believe the PSU is no good? Can you explain why? I was thinking the board was dead actually after some thinking. I had 8 rgb fans installed and the my belief was that they killed the board.

Fans aren't going to hurt the PSU.

5 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Do you have another PSU that you can use to test the MB?

1 hour ago, Ankerson said:

Do you have another PSU that you can use to test the MB?

No. Am planning to take it somewhere to test it on another system.

Will also take the opportunity to test the PSU on another system too.

One other thing, before all of this happen, when the systerm was booting

Something weird was going on. It would press the power button. It would fire up

Then after a few seconds, power off. I could get the system to actually boot by repeating

The processs 2 or 3 times. Eventually it would turn on fully and i'd get on bios or windows.

That would also point to a faulty PSU, i'm assuming?

@jonnyGURU

So you stand behind your initial thought that it seemed like the board died not the PSU?

What about the part where i mentioned the issue of it sometimes booting sometimes not?

Wouldn't that point to some sort of defect on the PSU?

It would press the power button. It would fire up

Then after a few seconds, power off. I could get the system to actually boot by repeating

The processs 2 or 3 times. Eventually it would turn on fully and i'd get on bios or windows.

system was having issues booting from the get go

and showing clock speed and temps and stuff.

If the board indeed died, idk what could've killed it other than the rgb fans. You believe

That is a possible scenario or something else could've killed it? One of the dimm slots

were dead as well. At first it was all working fine then one of the slots just stop recognizing

the stick i know its the slot cuz switching the stick to another slot would recognize it.

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

Let us know what happens.

Just now, ReggieGRS said:

@jonnyGURU

So you stand behind your initial thought that it seemed like the board died not the PSU?

What about the part where i mentioned the issue of it sometimes booting sometimes not?

Wouldn't that point to some sort of defect on the PSU?

I'm not there to test it myself.  So I can't stand behind anything.

Let's finish the train of thought I was already driving.

How did you have those fans plugged into the PSU and what kind of fans were they?

You said they did not spin.  I said, it they were plugged DIRECTLY into the PSU, they should have when you paperclipped the PSU.

And I'm completely ignoring what "the guy" said because he said the PSU fan spun because it was on a different circuit.  Maybe that's not what he said, but that's what you understood, so for this discussion it's invalid.

The RMI's are pretty solid units, one of the best you can get, although I suppose even they can fail here and there.

if it is bad then he is extremely unlucky I think.

7 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

How did you have those fans plugged into the PSU and what kind of fans were they?

Per stating in their manual: https://www.thermaltake.com/db/support/usermanual/_f99bdcdba01b4627b1994abf806fd37a.pdf

11 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

You said they did not spin.  I said, it they were plugged DIRECTLY into the PSU, they should have when you paperclipped the PSU.

I don't think those fans can be plugged directly into the PSU but i could be mistaken

16 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

if it is bad then he is extremely unlucky I think.

I'm known for that.

Spoiler

😭

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

17 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

Per stating in their manual: https://www.thermaltake.com/db/support/usermanual/_f99bdcdba01b4627b1994abf806fd37a.pdf

I don't think those fans can be plugged directly into the PSU but i could be mistaken

Reveal hidden contents

😭

Ok.  When I say fans plugged into the power supply, I meant fans plugged DIRECTLY into the PSU like the video shows.  I'm not being vague or mincing words, so I'm not sure how you missed that. 

If you do not have any fans that plug directly into the PSU via Molex, do you have something else that needs power that runs independently of a controller with a motherboard/USB connection?  Maybe just a regular old hard drive that you can hear spinning?

The fact that the PSU fan spins tells me the PSU probably works.  Add to that the nature of which the PC "started dying" tends to point to the motherboard. 

Did you build this PC yourself? 

26 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

If you do not have any fans that plug directly into the PSU via Molex, do you have something else that needs power that runs independently of a controller with a motherboard/USB connection?  Maybe just a regular old hard drive that you can hear spinning?

Unfortunately i do not at the moment. But there will be many parts to test once i take the PSU for check up i wanna make sure if its either that, the mobo or both (god forbid that outcome) will update the thread once i done it.

26 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

The fact that the PSU fan spins tells me the PSU probably works.  Add to that the nature of which the PC "started dying" tends to point to the motherboard.

Right. But something in the back of my mind is telling me the rgb fans were the cause assuming the mobo is indeed dead. Everything was peachy at first. But made some mistakes on the cables of the controller, trying to fix that, right after TT software spat out fan and controller error rapidfire style, was when the PC immediately shut off and didn't want to turn on again. Anyway, will do it once i can and update the thread. If i'm lucky only the PSU is problematic or dead cuz the board is super expensive and cannot cash out for another at the moment.

Did you build this PC yourself? 

Yes. So regretting that decision.

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

2 hours ago, ReggieGRS said:

Right. But something in the back of my mind is telling me the rgb fans were the cause assuming the mobo is indeed dead. Everything was peachy at first. But made some mistakes on the cables of the controller, trying to fix that, right after TT software spat out fan and controller error rapidfire style, was when the PC immediately shut off and didn't want to turn on again.

Well.. What mistakes were made with the cables of the controller?  You didn't plug the USB into the wrong header or plug it into the header backwards, did you?

16 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

You didn't plug the USB into the wrong header or plug it into the header backwards, did you?

I don't believe so. I was following the manual and instructions from TT youtube channel about the bridge to connect both controllers to one usb 2.0 port and so on. Yes i know i haven't specify the mistake, the reason is, i don't remember. I was a bit freaked out trying to solve 3 problems that in a period of 10 sec became 5 problems. Regardless of everything, to solve this issue i'll have to spend money. Just hoping that is not too much (like buying another $1000 board)

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

4 hours ago, ReggieGRS said:

No. Am planning to take it somewhere to test it on another system.

Will also take the opportunity to test the PSU on another system too.

One other thing, before all of this happen, when the systerm was booting

Something weird was going on. It would press the power button. It would fire up

That would also point to a faulty PSU, i'm assuming?

I had this happen with my HTPC over a year ago.  It would not come out of sleep but rather shut down.  I had trouble from a cold start just as you describe.  I tested the PSU and the power good signal which is necessary to bet the computer to boot was out of spec which is why it would only sporadically start (it was a Seasonic G-360 and one month out of warranty). 

Some PSU testers will give you a beep if the power good signal is bad.  The PSU is bad but your system should be OK since it would not properly boot because of this.  A new PSU would certainly confirm this.

11 minutes ago, Alan G said:

Some PSU testers will give you a beep if the power good signal is bad.  The PSU is bad but your system should be OK since it would not properly boot because of this.  A new PSU would certainly confirm this.

I hope so. A new PSU i can afford right now. A new mobo i would have to dig into emergency savings and as much as i love my PC, i won't touch those for it. Will take the whole rig somewhere monday or tuesday and test both PSU and mobo and see what i'll get. Fingers crossed. Thanks.

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王