Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bhavzzz

2070 or 2080?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So long story short, I had multiple issues with my GTX1080 and eventually I was just provided a full credit on the card. So now I guess I'm in the market for a new card.

 

So the advice needed:

I could get a Gigabyte RTX2070 for the credit +$100, or pay approximately $400 more and get a 2080.

 

Which would be the best value for gaming on my QHD screen?

 

Thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go with a 2080 but it shouldn't be more than ~$300 more than the 2070.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bhavzzz said:

Which would be the best value for gaming on my QHD screen?

The RTX 2080 by a far mile, the RTX 2070 is only on average 9% faster than a RTX 2060, there are games where they perform identically.

 

Therefore you can have on pair performance with a much cheaper RTX 2060 or if you want actual bump in performance the way is to go big with the RTX 2080.

 

The 2070 is almost a scam for how much more expensive it is in comparison to the 2060.


Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0ghz  |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Dark Rock 4 |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3333mhz CL15 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 80Plus Platinum  |~| Boot: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Acer Predator X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
 
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900 @4.75ghz |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3400mhzCL15 Viper Steel |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti |~| PSU: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 80Plus Gold  |~|  Boot:  Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2x2TB SanDisk SSD Ultra 3D |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Viotek GN34CB 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.


HTPC / "Console of the house":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Link to post
Share on other sites

I second this.. I wanted the best graphics card I could afford and ended up with a RTX2070. Yes its fast, Yes I like it alot, but it does feel like a scam! I can barely play games in 4k...

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ansuex said:

I second this.. I wanted the best graphics card I could afford and ended up with a RTX2070. Yes its fast, Yes I like it alot, but it does feel like a scam! I can barely play games in 4k...

 

That's not a 4K card, it's a 1440P card.

 

 


i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Seasonic Prime Titanium Ultra 750W. 

 

NEW PSU Tier List      MB Tier List

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
28 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

The RTX 2080 by a far mile, the RTX 2070 is only on average 9% faster than a RTX 2060, there are games where they perform identically.

 

Therefore you can have on pair performance with a much cheaper RTX 2060 or if you want actual bump in performance the way is to go big with the RTX 2080.

 

The 2070 is almost a scam for how much more expensive it is in comparison to the 2060.

Never realised that the 2060's performance was that close to 2070.

 

Guess it's time to pony up the extra. Does anyone have any issues with the Gigabyte Gaming OC cards? They're looking like the best bang for the buck at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bhavzzz said:

Never realised that the 2060's performance was that close to 2070.

 

Guess it's time to pony up the extra. Does anyone have any issues with the Gigabyte Gaming OC cards? They're looking like the best bang for the buck at the moment.

Have you looked at used 1080Ti's at all, should be around $500.  2080's for $700 are doable but most are $750-$800.


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

 

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

 

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bhavzzz said:

Does anyone have any issues with the Gigabyte Gaming OC cards?

It's a perfectly fine card, it's on pair with the Founders Edition with a bit of a more silent operation.

 

Happy shopping!


Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0ghz  |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Dark Rock 4 |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3333mhz CL15 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 80Plus Platinum  |~| Boot: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Acer Predator X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
 
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900 @4.75ghz |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3400mhzCL15 Viper Steel |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti |~| PSU: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 80Plus Gold  |~|  Boot:  Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2x2TB SanDisk SSD Ultra 3D |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Viotek GN34CB 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.


HTPC / "Console of the house":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

Have you looked at used 1080Ti's at all, should be around $500.  2080's for $700 are doable but most are $750-$800.

I have, the supplier has credited me for their store only, so kinda locked in, and there are zero traces of them new. Plus the prices are hitting about $800 in South Africa anyway since people don't really seem to get the concept of depreciation.

 

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

It's a perfectly fine card, it's on pair with the Founders Edition with a bit of a more silent operation.

 

Happy shopping!

Thank you, it's a shame I'll need to wait till next week to get the card though. Just one more weekend with Intel UHD graphics?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bhavzzz said:

I have, the supplier has credited me for their store only, so kinda locked in, and there are zero traces of them new. Plus the prices are hitting about $800 in South Africa anyway since people don't really seem to get the concept of depreciation.

 

Thank you, it's a shame I'll need to wait till next week to get the card though. Just one more weekend with Intel UHD graphics?

Lol, South Africa is missing out on a lot of concepts, but that's another discussion.

 

Enjoy your 2080, it's on par with the 1080T performance-wise.


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

 

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

 

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×