GPU starts fine, but fans stop randomly+black screen

New_Newbi
Go to solution Solved by New_Newbi,

My GPU was broken, after changing it to 960, the problem was fixed.

Hello,

I just bought a used PC with Zotac GTX 760 GPU, the previous owner said he had the PC for two years without any problem.

But when I want to use the PC or play a game, the GPU fan stops working and at the same time, my screen goes to black. meanwhile, all other parts of the PC keep working. (The GPU does not overheat, I kept monitoring)

I also take out the GPU and put it back and checked all the cables.

I am 80 percent sure, but I want to be 100 percent sure. Is the GPU dead?

(I searched the internet a lot, but nobody had the same issue as me. My problem occurs completely randomly.)

PS: I just spoke to the guy that I bought the PC from. He was confident that there isn't a problem with the PC. And told me they were using Windows 7 at that time, that could be my problem?

Thanks in advance.

Does nobody know the problem or nobody wants to make me upset? it's weird 

44 minutes ago, New_Newbi said:

Does nobody know the problem or nobody wants to make me upset? it's weird 

sounds like you might of been taken advantage of... Can you use another GPU in the PC to eliminate if its a broken GPU?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

try installing older drivers and i fthat dies not work

"its dead jim"

i would recomed buying a used rx 460-470

(Take anything I say with a grain of salt)

[Main Pc] CPU, i5 9600k GPU, Asus Strix RTX 2060, RAM, 16b Team Group Delta RGB, PSU, Seasonic Px-750 plat , Cooler, Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML120L RGB, Storage, 500gb Samsung 950 evo/1tb WD blue/2tb HDD,Case, Enermax ECA3520. + some cooler master RGB fans

[Laptop] Dell G3, i7-8750H (Turbo 4.2 Ghz), Gtx 1050 ti , 8gb 2669 mhz, 128gb nvme ssd, 1tb HDD

[Server]

[Consoles] Pretty much almost every popular one you can think of besides for like Xbox and some Sega Stuff( Playstation especially)

[Mobile Devices] iPhone XR 64gb (Red) gb, iPad Air 2 128gb, Space Grey,  Ipod Shuffle Space Grey

1 hour ago, Stormseeker9 said:

sounds like you might of been taken advantage of... Can you use another GPU in the PC to eliminate if its a broken GPU?

Unfortunately, I do not have another GPU. How can I make sure that the GPU is the problem? The motherboard doesn't have GPU either.

1 hour ago, Lagercat1 said:

try installing older drivers and i fthat dies not work

"its dead jim"

i would recomed buying a used rx 460-470

I want to make sure that the GPU has a problem.

What happens if I buy another GPU and the problem continues...

And I will not but used hardware anymore. It was my first and last time!

Just now, New_Newbi said:

I want to make sure that the GPU has a problem.

What happens if I buy another GPU and the problem continues...

just because you had one bad experience does not mean you should just stop buying used, i know you may have gotten boned here i did my first time but you start to learn what can be suspicious ect, and now you know to test stuff before you buy

and if you buy another gpu and the problem continues i think something is up somewhere else 

like i said try an older driver

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/139905

[Main Pc] CPU, i5 9600k GPU, Asus Strix RTX 2060, RAM, 16b Team Group Delta RGB, PSU, Seasonic Px-750 plat , Cooler, Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML120L RGB, Storage, 500gb Samsung 950 evo/1tb WD blue/2tb HDD,Case, Enermax ECA3520. + some cooler master RGB fans

[Laptop] Dell G3, i7-8750H (Turbo 4.2 Ghz), Gtx 1050 ti , 8gb 2669 mhz, 128gb nvme ssd, 1tb HDD

[Server]

[Consoles] Pretty much almost every popular one you can think of besides for like Xbox and some Sega Stuff( Playstation especially)

[Mobile Devices] iPhone XR 64gb (Red) gb, iPad Air 2 128gb, Space Grey,  Ipod Shuffle Space Grey

22 minutes ago, New_Newbi said:

Trust me, it's still worth it. Look at my sig, got that GPU used. If I can trust that, you can make the $80 investment on a used RX.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

22 minutes ago, Lagercat1 said:

just because you had one bad experience does not mean you should just stop buying used, i know you may have gotten boned here i did my first time but you start to learn what can be suspicious ect, and now you know to test stuff before you buy

and if you buy another gpu and the problem continues i think something is up somewhere else 

like i said try an older driver

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/139905

I am downloading Windsows7 as the guy told me he has no problem on windows7 and installed windows 10 just when he wanted to sell the PC.

The problem is that the guy was very reasonable and even I turned on the PC there, played a game, and everything was fine. The problem comes randomly after like 10 minutes or one hour.

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Trust me, it's still worth it. Look at my sig, got that GPU used. If I can trust that, you can make the $80 investment on a used RX.

Wow, how could you really!

But as I see, you have resources to actually test and make sure that everything is fine. I even don't know how to check. Like I do not have spare GPU to make sure that the problem is even from that. Or do not have a setup that I would be sure everything is working to test the GPU alone.

But you are right, if it comes to buying another GPU, I will pick an option that is cheaper...

22 hours ago, New_Newbi said:

I am downloading Windsows7 as the guy told me he has no problem on windows7 and installed windows 10 just when he wanted to sell the PC.

The problem is that the guy was very reasonable and even I turned on the PC there, played a game, and everything was fine. The problem comes randomly after like 10 minutes or one hour.

well let me know if the win 7 install works

[Server]

3 hours ago, Lagercat1 said:

well let me know if the win 7 install works

I installed win 7, checked with 4 different versions of drivers, in all of them, exactly after I install the driver and restart the PC, in like 2 minutes after windows load, the screen goes black and the GPU fan stops working.

If I do not install the driver, GPU fans works for hours, but the problem only happens when I install any driver. :(

Should I be 100 percent sure that the GPU is broken now? ?

• 3 weeks later...

My GPU was broken, after changing it to 960, the problem was fixed.