AMD Navi 20 GPU Allegedly Supports Ray Tracing and Enhanced GCN

Skanky Sylveon

https://wccftech.com/amd-navi-20-radeon-rx-graphics-card-ray-tracing-gcn-architecture-rumor/amp/

AMD Navi 20 GPU To Be Featured on Enthusiast Grade Gaming Graphics Cards, Features Enhanced GCN Architecture and Ray Tracing Performance Equivalent or Faster Than an RTX 2080 Ti

First off, this is a rumor, so take it with a grain of salt, but if it's true, it would be a very good thing.  Nvidia's RTX GPUs are a bit overpriced in my opinion, and a healthy dose of competition may help reduce prices. 

So starting off with the Navi 20 details, we first have the alleged Ray Tracing support and to be honest, I think it’s very likely that AMD would introduce their own take on Ray Tracing, especially when Crytek recently demoed their first ray tracing demo based on their CRYENGINE on an AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 graphics card. AMD would like to support Microsoft’s DXR API and provide a more open-source ray tracing feature support as they have done so with many other technologies in the past, e.g. TressFX, Freesync, OpenCL.

I think that's important to note.  If AMD comes out with a GPU that supports their own implementation of real time ray tracing, it probably won't be Nvidia's implementation.  Which makes sense, Nvidia has a track record of not wanting to share their technology.

Just in case anyone that sees this doesn't know about the Crytek real time raytracing demo, here it is.

But we have to take into consideration that AMD’s Navi 20 GPUs will be launching a year after the Navi 10 mainstream parts. So that puts the launch to around 2020 which is still pretty far away. At the same time, NVIDIA states that they don’t have any plans to rush to 7nmright now as they can achieve much competitive performance to watt figures on 12nm FinFET process so it’s possible that NVIDIA could be aiming for the enhanced 7nm+ or 5nm node, completely excluding the 7nm process off their tables.

That's something to keep in mind though.  Nvidia may have something a decent amount more powerful a year from Navi 10's release, so even if it performs better then the 2080ti, that might not mean that it outperforms Nvidia's current flagship at the time.  Still, if it's not that far off from Nvidia's current flagship, it may keep their prices from being too unreasonable. 

Sorry BB. This is a retoast.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

6 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

You where probably writing te above when it was posted. Better OP though in my opinion.

Well, I reported my post and it's still here, sooo.