From 2022 every new car sold in the EU will be fitted with an automatic speed limiter, assisted braking and lane keeping assistance technology

Master Disaster

The European Union has just provisionally passed a law stating that by 2022 every new car must be fitted with a speed limiter. It's part of a campaign to try and reduce road deaths to 0 by 2050.

Speed limiting technology looks set to become mandatory for all vehicles sold in Europe from 2022, after new rules were provisionally agreed by the EU.

Campaigners welcomed the move, saying it would save thousands of lives, with the EU aiming ultimately to cut road deaths to zero by 2050.

The road safety charity Brake called it a "landmark day" and urged the UK to adopt the regulation after Brexit.

The UKs leading motoring association, the Automobile Association, has said that being able to break speed limits is actually a necessary for road safety.

But the AA said "a little speed" helps with overtaking or joining motorways.

Measures approved include automatic speed limiting, assisted braking and lane keeping assistance technology.

Safety measures approved by the European Commission included intelligent speed assistance (ISA), advanced emergency braking and lane-keeping technology.

EU Commissioner Elzbieta Bienkowska said: "Every year, 25,000 people lose their lives on our roads. The vast majority of these accidents are caused by human error.

"With the new advanced safety features that will become mandatory, we can have the same kind of impact as when safety belts were first introduced."

Also approved are measures to detect driver drowseiness, driver distraction and technology to remove blind spots on heavy vehicles as well as data recorders for accidents.

Other approved safety features for European cars, vans, trucks and buses include technology which provides a warning of driver drowsiness and distraction, such as when using a smartphone while driving, and a data recorder in case of an accident.

The new measures also include improvements to the direct vision of bus and truck drivers and the removal of blind spots.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

Update: They were discussing this on the radio while I was on my way to work and there was some interesting points made.

Apparently the speed limiter will work by a combination of GPS and cameras which read road signs and will physically limit the vehicle from breaking the speed limit.

Small bursts of speed above limits will be allowed by the software in certain zones though they didn't go into detail on how that will work.

End update.

Tbh I totally agree with the AA, being able to accelerate away is one of the most important factors in accident avoidance. If everyone is limited to the same speed it will make things more unsafe imo. Also no mention of bikes.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I heard this earlier and thought god damn it.

It's also worth mentioning that this is likely to still make its way into Britain even if we "do the brexit" unfortunately. 

Having said that, I saw a tweet earlier from someone saying that this has been taken out of context by news companies and that the article has been amended so that it warns or alerts the driver but doesn't do anything, how true that is I'm not sure!

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Welp, time to find that BMW E36 M3

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Don't the German manufacturers already limit their cars to 250 km/h (155 mph) with the exception of Porsche and some really high-end performance cars?

A speed limit also isn't going to help with morons who drive well below the speed limit on highways, which are arguably just as dangerous as speeding lunatics due to the speed differential (one is going too slow, the other going too fast)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

2 minutes ago, BigRom said:

Don't the German manufacturers already limit their cars to 250 km/h (155 mph) with the exception of Porsche and some really high-end performance cars?

A speed limit also isn't going to help with morons who drive well below the speed limit on highways, which are arguably just as dangerous as speeding lunatics due to the speed differential (one is going too slow, the other going too fast)

Just overtake people who are going to slow. 

8 minutes ago, James Evens said:

What is your speed limit? ?

110 is the fastest limit in Autralia, some will argue you can go faster legally in the outback, but the reality is that's not legal, just some cops turn a blind eye..

On the topic,  A system that allowed the car to accelerate beyond the speed limit for 15-20 seconds would probably be enough to alleviate the dangers of not being able to accelerate in an emergency.   It could reset every 5-10 or even 30 minutes. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Well that's the death cry of the car industry in one ill thought out piece of legislation, if all you can ever do regardless is 70 (or if the Hollyrood Idiots get their way up north 40) then what's the point in owning any car that costs more then about 6k brand new.

I can just imagine the penny dropping at Ferrari, Porsche, Austin Martin, TVR, Audi etc. that they are going to be seeing the mother of all sales drops in the future.

Time to dump those stocks now!

Luckily I ride 2 wheels, least they have not mentioned neutering those............... yet!

2 minutes ago, Ethariel01 said:

Well that's the death cry of the car industry in one ill thought out piece of legislation, if all you can ever do regardless is 70 (or if the Hollyrood Idiots get their way up north 40) then what's the point in owning any car that costs more then about 6k brand new. 

I can just imagine the penny dropping at Ferrari, Porsche, Austin Martin, TVR, Audi etc. that they are going to be seeing the mother of all sales drops in the future.

Luckily I ride 2 wheels, least they have not mentioned neutering those............... yet!

Exotic cars will probably have some GPS thing to disable it when it knows your at the track.

3 minutes ago, James Evens said:

To be honest you will have a hard time travelling with 250 km/h if it is not midnight. At day time 160-180 km/h is realistic with more traffic it can be low as 120.

Try doing over 160 on like 90% of our roads and you will die, long straight and wide isn't a thing here. It's more like twisty, bumpy, narrow and blind corners here.

Embargo cars 2022 in Europe. Fuck these rules like seriously. I can understand lane helping aids etc but really? Speed limiters ? Fuck off will ya, that’s like big brother watching you 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

10 minutes ago, James Evens said:

To be honest you will have a hard time travelling with 250 km/h if it is not midnight. At day time 160-180 km/h is realistic with more traffic it can be low as 120.

Well constant 250 yeah, dumb idiots coming in the left lane to Over take with ‘130’ ? stay in the lane you belong. On the right haha

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

13 minutes ago, Ethariel01 said:

Having been behind the wheel of many different values of car over the last 30 years I can assure you there is a lot more that goes into the cost of a car than X amount of speed over the limit.  

Drive an hyundai i20 then get in a Lexus or audii and tell me hyundai can do the same quality without increasing the price.  Hell, even the difference between an hyundaii and a mazda/toyota is noticeable.  And I am a bit of a hyundai fan.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

People, time to practice maxing out your cornering speeds instead.

Actually, with the push towards self driving cars, or at least driving assisted cars, this isn't really that surprising. Accurate speed detection and setting would be a key part of that.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Well it depends on how much the speed will be limited. I've already heard last year that manufacturers will have to mandatory equip vehicles with different technology like lane keeping and stuff. The first thing was adding the eCall, which automatically calls emergency line after an accident is detected (+sends location and other info about vehicle), also you can use it manually to just call the emergency line if you need to.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

golden were the days that my family made 300+km drives with me loose on the rear of the car on a matress sleeping like a kitten (pun intended), or the times i would travel on the back of a pickup,

I agree with all of them, except the speed limiting thing. It should limit the range of speed. If limit is 50km/h you should break that by lets say 20km/h but not more. So you can't drive 120km/h where 50km/h limit is in place. And car should certainly show the required speed limit in the speedo because a lot of people have no clue about the speed limits and they just drive way less or somewhere "in the middle" of both limits extremes. Reason for this is, because I have a lot of situations where you need to break the speed limit for safe driving. Like passing a cyclist. The racing ones go so fast you really need to build up speed to safely and quickly pass them and if this limiting is hardcoded, it's gonna be stupid and actually more unsafe.

Assisted braking is a great feature that dramatically lowers chance of severe injuries. Even if cars do hit, the amount of energy dissipated by emergency automatic braking can make a huge difference. Same for drowsiness and lane departure. A lot of people get killed or injured because they fall asleep and drive off the road or into the oncoming lane. Modern cars, when they detect that either keep you in lane and turn on hazard lights and slow down on the side of the road (better ones at least, crappy ones just beep and hand over controls to driver entirely which is a really bad design) if driver doesn't regain control.

2 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I am always enraged when I see topics about the EU on this forum

And your problem is ?