Record Nest Cam locally FREE in under 10 steps

louij2

Hi

I've worked out a simple way to record your Nest Cam locally without incurring extra fees through Nests subscription service.

The only thing I think it would be better with is splitting up video files into 4gb ones or something similar.

What you will need;

Web Browser to see source code,

VLC.

Alternatively you could do it on a Virtual Machine on your Hyper Visor of choice, for me it has to be UnRaid.

1. Make your camera shareable publicly,
  2. Navigate to the public link for the camera,
  3. View the source code of the camera's output stream (or use the Inspect Tool and click the video),
  4. The URL you want will look like this "URL.PNG.cd6c71062f503c6a5d6e4265fa496634.PNG",
  5. Go to VLC
  6. Go to "Tools > Preferences (Ctrl + P) > Input / Codecs > Files" and set your save location HDD or NAS,
  7. Click "Media > Open Network Stream (Ctrl + N)",
  8. Paste in your link from before > Click Play,
  9. The video window will now open so you need to Click Playback > Record.

Another issue is the Video will write to the save location and won't be playable until you stop and start a new recording.

If anyone can aleviate any of the issues let me know and I will edit accordingly.

Just now, louij2 said:

I've worked out a simple way to record your Nest Cam locally without incurring extra fees through Nests subscription service.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

this ain't allowed iirc

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

13 minutes ago, Geography said:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

this ain't allowed iirc 

Seams fine to me, As far as Nest is concerned all they are doing is turning the camera into a public camera. Which is totally fine with Nest as far as I am aware.

However correct me if I am wrong but I believe this is grabbing the video stream from nest's servers. If this is the case keep in mind this will be using some internet bandwidth. The Nest cam is sending the video out to Nest's server then your bringing that video right back in.  Anyone on a capped internet connection this will use a lot of your cap, maybe all of it.

1 minute ago, Catsrules said:

Anyone on a capped internet connection this will use a lot of your cap, maybe all of it.

Good point there, everyone has unlimited in the UK so I don't realise.

Metered connections are a thing of the past. I live in the US and the US is the only place that had it basically. Everywhere else has fast gigabit speeds for cheap. US is where the ISP's price gouge $60 for 100 Mb/s

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

• 10 months later...
On 3/26/2019 at 4:37 PM, louij2 said:

Hi

The only thing I think it would be better with is splitting up video files into 4gb ones or something similar.

What you will need;

Web Browser to see source code,

VLC.

Alternatively you could do it on a Virtual Machine on your Hyper Visor of choice, for me it has to be UnRaid.

1. Make your camera shareable publicly,
  2. Navigate to the public link for the camera,
  3. View the source code of the camera's output stream (or use the Inspect Tool and click the video),
  4. The URL you want will look like this "URL.PNG.cd6c71062f503c6a5d6e4265fa496634.PNG",
  5. Go to VLC
  6. Go to "Tools > Preferences (Ctrl + P) > Input / Codecs > Files" and set your save location HDD or NAS,
  7. Click "Media > Open Network Stream (Ctrl + N)",
  8. Paste in your link from before > Click Play,
  9. The video window will now open so you need to Click Playback > Record.

Another issue is the Video will write to the save location and won't be playable until you stop and start a new recording.

If anyone can aleviate any of the issues let me know and I will edit accordingly.

Is this method still working.  We were robbed today and trying to get my nest camera to record. 

• 4 years later...

Hi please correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t this expose your camera to anyone on the internet?? This feels like an oversight but I don’t really understand how nest handles this so I’m not sure

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆\(ᵔ◡ᵔ)/⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆