VLAN with Avaya Switch Help

pspfreak
Go to solution Solved by pspfreak,

I think I did everything right, and now its functioning like it should. Thank you all.

image.png.175e212960cff4c15eb190c0291da54d.png

image.png.c099f1559e08da78b83da596f455a7f8.png

image.thumb.png.de79d8a7c1c27f9728cbaed5cb9c621d.png

image.png.10abef876c4d876679938fff0eba5467.png

Hello all, I'm coming here in hope of figuring this out.

I am trying to use VLAN 2 to create a seperate network, and the furthest i've gotten is out the lan port of my pfsense hyper-v VM. I've tested this works by setting my NIC to vlan id 2 and I get an IP on that VLAN provided by pfsense. Now here comes my confusion. I'm trying to take both untagged traffic and VLAN 2 in on a certain port, in this case port 9, and then i need to send it out another port, along with untagged traffic off to another network switch, a dell powerconnect 2724. And then on that, take the untagged traffic as usual, and vlan 2 on a set number of ports, lets say 23 and 24. 

I've tried basic trunking tutorials but I'm not sure if thats what I'm trying to do, being that I'm a bit new to vlans. 

image.png.eab86d1b07cbd0b8afe72fff888e6ade.png

image.thumb.png.181ae93089851cad624493881891dec6.png

This is what I'm working with. I'm also able to use the CLI if need be. 

Thanks in advance. 

1 minute ago, Catsrules said:

This might help you

https://blog.michaelfmcnamara.com/2012/02/untagall-vs-tagall-on-avaya-ethernet-routing-switches/

It sounds like you need to change the tagging from untagAll to tagAll. That will setup the port as a trunk port. You will need to do something similar to the dell switch as well.

My problem is if I set the port to tagall, untagged no longer functions out the other ports. Shouldn't VLAN 1 be untagged?

12 minutes ago, pspfreak said:

My problem is if I set the port to tagall, untagged no longer functions out the other ports. Shouldn't VLAN 1 be untagged?

I could be wrong, I only have very basic understanding of VLANs but from my understanding I don't think trunk ports can pass non tagged traffic. So you will need to setup 2 VLANs and tag them in order for this to work. VLAN 1 will need to be tagged at 1 and VLAN 2 will be tagged as 2. That way the trunk port can pass the tag information to the other switch. 

I've read I'm not supposed to tag anything as VLAN 1. I really don't know what to do at this point.

On the first switch set VLAN1 to untagged (should already be done) and VLAN2 as tagged on port 9 and the port connected to the dell powerconnect.

On the dell powerconnect also set VLAN1 as untagged and VLAN2 as tagged on the port connected to the first switch and set VLAN2 as untagged on port 23 and 24.

On 3/26/2019 at 6:12 PM, Acedia said:

On the first switch set VLAN1 to untagged (should already be done) and VLAN2 as tagged on port 9 and the port connected to the dell powerconnect.

On the dell powerconnect also set VLAN1 as untagged and VLAN2 as tagged on the port connected to the first switch and set VLAN2 as untagged on port 23 and 24.

Thank you, could you elaborate on the avaya switch? 

On 3/26/2019 at 3:03 PM, Catsrules said:

I could be wrong, I only have very basic understanding of VLANs but from my understanding I don't think trunk ports can pass non tagged traffic. So you will need to setup 2 VLANs and tag them in order for this to work. VLAN 1 will need to be tagged at 1 and VLAN 2 will be tagged as 2. That way the trunk port can pass the tag information to the other switch. 

Not true. Trunk ports are just tagged port but will still accept untagged traffic known as the native vlan. You can prevent this by tagging native vlan traffic on egress and will intern drop untagged traffic.

On 3/26/2019 at 5:18 PM, pspfreak said:

I've read I'm not supposed to tag anything as VLAN 1. I really don't know what to do at this point.

Thats just best security practices to not use vlan 1 at all. 

I think I did everything right, and now its functioning like it should. Thank you all.

image.png.175e212960cff4c15eb190c0291da54d.png

image.png.c099f1559e08da78b83da596f455a7f8.png

image.thumb.png.de79d8a7c1c27f9728cbaed5cb9c621d.png

image.png.10abef876c4d876679938fff0eba5467.png