Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chiller15

EU Vote in Favour of Article 13

Posted · Original PosterOP

The European Parliament has given final approval to the Copyright Directive, a controversial package of legislation designed to update copyright law in Europe for the internet age.

Members of parliament voted 348 in favor of the law and 274 against. A last-minute proposal to remove the law’s most controversial clause — Article 13 or the ‘upload filter’ — was narrowly rejected by just five votes. The directive will now be passed on to EU member states, who will translate it into national law.

Advocates of the directive say it will balance the playing field between US tech giants and European content creators, giving copyright holders more power over how big internet platforms distribute their content. But critics say the law is vague and poorly thought-out, and will end up restricting how content is shared online, stifling innovation and free speech.

Source: The Verge

This doesn't look promising, even if the most controversial aspect has been removed (the 'upload filter'). Who knows what the future of content creation is going to be like after this has been implemented and the dust settles.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

rip this section of the forum

DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! 

Have a look at my set up your linux gaming pc from start to finish topic if you want to get started with linux :) 

My Laptop: HP EliteBook Folio 9470m | I5 3437U | HD4000 | 500 GB SSD | 16GB RAM | Ubuntu 19.04

My Chromebook: Asus C202SA-GJ0061 | Celeron N3060 | 16GB | 4GB RAM | Chrome OS

My Phone: iPhone 7 | 128GB

Just now, Sychic said:

I thought we had an understanding...

We can kiss and make up, right? In all seriousness, this is a developing story and they were one of the only reputable non-paywall sites reporting on it at the time of posting.

10 minutes ago, Sychic said:

I thought we had an understanding...

That meme is played out and dead. The website is fine. Let it be and RIP. 

PSU Tier List Thread

"The Angry Cup o` Joe" v2.0

Ryzen 1800x @ 4.0ghz | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Flare X 14-14-14-34 3200mhz 32gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

Samsung 850 evo 250gb | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Phantex Enthoo Evolv | Custom front cover from mnpctech.com | Custom Top cover from Modmymods.com

EVGA G2 750w PSU | 3x Corsair ML140 Pro White LED case fans | 3x Corsair ML120 Pro White LED Case Fans | Cablemod 30cm RGB LED strip

I do think copyright laws should be changed when technology that affects it changes but this legislation is not 'up to date' at all.

F

GAMING RIG CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT Switch 810 (white) Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC25

F in the chat boys...... Hope this wont affect me being Canadian Xd

MAIN PC

Spoiler

Case: Thermaltake Core G21, CPU: i7 960 @ 3.8ghz, CPU Cooler: Captain 240ex red ewaste, Power supply: 600w seasonic 80+ gold, Motherboard: GA-X58-USB3, GPU: Gtx 780 twin frozer OC edition Ram: 2x4gb ddr3 1600mhz, HDD: WD blue 1 TB, SSD: Kingston A400 240gb

Laptop

Spoiler

Toshiba tecra m10: intel core 2 duo 8400, 4gb ddr2 ram 800mhz.

Guess it's time to buy a VPN subscription then..

It's bad enough that it actually got approved in the first place, but IMO the worst part about all this is that the politicians who voted to approve this have absolutely no idea how much this will affect the internet.

Seems like the beginning of the end of an internet without censorship.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, some things may not be correct.

If you're replying to me, make sure to quote me or mention me (@XR6), otherwise I won't see your reply.

Useful links: Community Standards | New PSU Tier List | Posting Guidelines | Build Guide Megathread | GPU Cooler Tier List

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4460

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-HD3

RAM: 8GB AMD DDR3 1600MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB

Case: In Win Mana 126

Storage: Crucial MX500 250GB

PSU: Corsair CX450M

Monitor: Samsung S24D590L

Cooling: Knockoff of an Intel stock cooler

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Red, UK layout)

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB

3 minutes ago, Terabyte_272 said:

F in the chat boys...... Hope this wont affect me being Canadian Xd

I think it'll have the similar wide-ranging effects that GDPR had across the Internet and how we manage data. I doubt that a company like YouTube are simply going to geoblock EU users from accessing non-EU content. They'll have to implement a system to check content prior to publishing anyway for those who upload inside the EU. I would expect them to roll that system out globally.

4 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

I think it'll have the similar wide-ranging effects that GDPR had across the Internet and how we manage data. I doubt that a company like YouTube are simply going to geoblock EU users from accessing non-EU content. They'll have to implement a system to check content prior to publishing anyway for those who upload inside the EU. I would expect them to roll that system out globally.

Hmm yea thats what I thought... why would youtube not geoblock eu users that may be much better than another annoying algorithm

MAIN PC

Spoiler

Case: Thermaltake Core G21, CPU: i7 960 @ 3.8ghz, CPU Cooler: Captain 240ex red ewaste, Power supply: 600w seasonic 80+ gold, Motherboard: GA-X58-USB3, GPU: Gtx 780 twin frozer OC edition Ram: 2x4gb ddr3 1600mhz, HDD: WD blue 1 TB, SSD: Kingston A400 240gb

Laptop

Spoiler

Toshiba tecra m10: intel core 2 duo 8400, 4gb ddr2 ram 800mhz.

1 minute ago, Terabyte_272 said:

Hmm yea thats what I thought... why would youtube not geoblock eu users that may be much better than another annoying algorithm

Unless they withdraw their service from the EU entirely, they're going to have to create the annoying algorithm anyway.

16 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

The website is fine.

The website has never been fine. It wasn't even fine when douchenozzles like Topolsky and Patel worked for Engaget.

13 minutes ago, XR6 said:

IMO the worst part about all this is that the politicians who voted to approve this have absolutely no idea how much this will affect the internet.

They know exactly what effect it'll have, that's why they're doing it.

Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!"

Mafia punch seagull with child.

Pyo.

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

They know exactly what effect it'll have, that's why they're doing it.

Most of them barely even know what the internet is, lol

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 840 Series 128GB | 1 x Seagate 1TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 620W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

GTX 1060 vs RX 480 (old)

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Most of them barely even know what the internet is, lol

Whilst that may be true, they know what money is. The music industry has been pushing for a lot of this. I'm not sure it takes much to connect the dots.

1 hour ago, chiller15 said:

Advocates of the directive say it will balance the playing field between US tech giants and European content creators, giving copyright holders more power over how big internet platforms distribute their content.

"Advocates of the directive have thoroughly proven that they have no clue what the fuck is going on, and have decided to create even more imbalance in favor of large corporations"

Seriously, who are these people who think life just isn't fair for the mega rich? 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - MSI GTX 650 - some 7200RPM SATA II thing - Ubuntu (at the moment)

Feel free to critique my website. I am but a young entrepreneur.