Overpriced, Sold Out Harddrives

AManWithPlan

Anyone have any clue why NAS drives are selling at $220 per 4TB right now? I bought my Hitachi 10TB drives 4-5 years ago for $200 or so a piece and I don't see them available today; not to mention they are nearly double in price.

There another flooded region in Thailand or something?

2 minutes ago, AManWithPlan said:

Anyone have any clue why NAS drives are selling at $220 per 4TB right now?

They're not? I'm seeing $105-$110 for 4TB NAS drives.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6MX2FT/seagate-ironwolf-4tb-35-5900rpm-internal-hard-drive-st4000vn008

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rkV48d/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd40efrx

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Forgive me for being ignorant, but what's the difference between a NAS drive an a normal drive?

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I had 4 Seagate failures in 6 years, never again. They are cheap because they are awful. 

6 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

first wrong section.

was that hitachi a NAS drive?

It was yes. HGST.

2 minutes ago, Sychic said:

yeah that's a NAS drive but what makes that 10TB drive different from say a 10TB enterprise drive... And what makes a 2TB NAS drive different than a normal 2TB drive

Reliability and long term storage, also cache size

Just now, AManWithPlan said:

Reliability and long term storage, also cache size

so why wouldn't companies use NAS drives rather than enterprise drives?

5 minutes ago, Sychic said:

so why wouldn't companies use NAS drives rather than enterprise drives?

I think those are the same thing. Either way. I am here looking for hard drive tech news, anything crazy happen to cause a shortage?

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

hgst is WD... not Hitachi

Ugh, guys. I'm not here to argue. I am here for technews.

And the H in HGST stands for Hitachi. If WD acquired them, I don't care.

HGST is Hitachi, which is bought by Western Digital.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, AManWithPlan said:

Ugh, guys. I'm not here to argue. I am here for technews.

And the H in HGST stands for Hitachi. If WD acquired them, I don't care.

then don't post in technews

it isn't even technews, we have guidelines for that

you should have posted this is storage

and yes, WD sells under the HGST name

WD has decided to slowly start selling hgst drives under the WD brand, they couldn't before (maybe due to monopoly reasons?) or didn't want to.

Prices could go up if the stocks are limited and people want specific models/series (demand goes up) ... ex one has 2 x 4TB NAS drives and wants 4-8 more to increase total capacity and stick to same model/series

20 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

then don't post in technews

it isn't even technews, we have guidelines for that

I am looking for tech news on the status of the hard drive market. Prices look outlandish to me and I see good drives I am looking for unavailable.

I have no clue why Linus continues to say how strong and helpful these forums are.

2 minutes ago, AManWithPlan said:

I am looking for tech news on the status of the hard drive market. Prices look outlandish to me and I see good drives I am looking for unavailable.

I have no clue why Linus continues to say how strong and helpful these forums are.

okay then. good luck, i'm going to help people that do want it

seeya

11 minutes ago, mariushm said:

WD has decided to slowly start selling hgst drives under the WD brand, they couldn't before (maybe due to monopoly reasons?) or didn't want to.

Prices could go up if the stocks are limited and people want specific models/series (demand goes up) ... ex one has 2 x 4TB NAS drives and wants 4-8 more to increase total capacity and stick to same model/series

That sucks. I don't have any experience with WD drives but only hear bad things. Hopefully they don't white label their technology under HGST. I have some 12 year old Hitachi drives still kicking. 

Either way, looks like there's a market pinch and I'll have to just wait for a deal. I'm not spending $0.4 per gig, that's asinine. 

10 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

okay then. good luck, i'm going to help people that do want it

seeya

"You will be missed." Randall Graves

5 minutes ago, AManWithPlan said:

That sucks. I don't have any experience with WD drives but only hear bad things. 

59 minutes ago, AManWithPlan said:

I had 4 Seagate failures in 6 years, never again. They are cheap because they are awful. 

If you refuse to buy western Digital and Seagate, you're really only left with Toshiba.

Toshiba N300 for their NAS model drives. Available in 10tb capacity. $0.032/GB

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jCYLrH/toshiba-n300-10-tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-hdwg11axzsta

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450